Queen of the South's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be QotS's next permanent manager?  

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We poached Gordon Chisholm from QotS, he had a disaster before we ultimately made him redundant and then he seems to have disappeared from management ever since.

It's time for his glorious return.

Marvin Bartley.

There seems to be conflicting reports regarding why Bartley didn’t get the job at ourselves despite being the main candidate according to Scott Burns. Initially people seemed to think he knocked us back as he was promised to Martindales successor in the next couple of seasons. However I heard that he interviewed quite well with us, had a back room team ready to go but we knocked him back to pursue Lee Bullen.

I’d be really interested to see how Bartley does as a manger as I was all for him getting the Ayr job. Dunno if his best bet is QOS though.

We poached Gordon Chisholm from QotS, he had a disaster before we ultimately made him redundant and then he seems to have disappeared from management ever since.

The only funny thing in the whole Chisholm saga at Dens is that McCall was halfway to Dundee to accept the job before finding out his old assistant was getting it.

Apologies if he's been suggested, but Peter Murphy could be a cracking appointment for you guys. He's flown under the radar a fair bit, but he's done a terrific job at Annan for a good few years now. Think he lives/lived around Carlisle so it could work geographically too.

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The only funny thing in the whole Chisholm saga at Dens is that McCall was halfway to Dundee to accept the job before finding out his old assistant was getting it.

He was absolutely raging when he heard it on the radio.

Sadly, the Board had to make that decision and I fully support them in it.
Felt like nothing was going to change if we stuck with AJ.
So the whole reason/purpose for doing it should be to bring in a fresh face in the hope of igniting a spark that might save us.
Anyone that thinks Willie Gibson should be appointed until the end of the season just doesn't get it.
In a relegation battle you need an experienced team at the helm - and on the pitch, which we have lacked all season, so WG better off there.
Jim McIntyre or Brian Rice I guess.
Gibson should only get it if no-one else wants it in which case there was no point in making the change.

That's a bit of a stretch tbh. When we appointed AJ originally he brought a fresh energy to the place almost immediately - he was as inexperienced as we could have got. We probably played better against Ross County in that game than we did the entire time under Gus. Aye we got beat but it was clear to see the marked improvement. That's what I'm hoping to see on Saturday (obviously I want a win but an improvement in mentality will be good enough after one game).

I'm not sure an experienced man will necessarily get a bounce anyway. It'll take him weeks to assess the players which will be too late. At least Gibson knows the players and can hopefully find round pegs for round holes.

If we were to hire Brian Rice tomorrow, this air of enthusiasm I have just now would be instantly gone.

26 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Apologies if he's been suggested, but Peter Murphy could be a cracking appointment for you guys. He's flown under the radar a fair bit, but he's done a terrific job at Annan for a good few years now. Think he lives/lived around Carlisle so it could work geographically too.

We currently train in Hamilton so not as geographically handy in that sense although players from Dumfries area obviously have to travel there. 

I'm not a big expert, but has he not just done what basically every other Annan manager has done - ie finish somewhere between 3rd and 5th every season but never win the play-offs?

39 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

We currently train in Hamilton so not as geographically handy in that sense although players from Dumfries area obviously have to travel there. 

Barry Ferguson had resigned as Alloa Manager is he on his  way to QotS

39 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Ah well. He can car share with the players from down there then!

25 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not a big expert, but has he not just done what basically every other Annan manager has done - ie finish somewhere between 3rd and 5th every season but never win the play-offs?

Sort of. He's actually only taken them to the playoffs once (18-19) But he's been in a League Two that has had an increasing number of good clubs in it over the years (Montrose, Clyde, Peterhead, Cove, Kelty and, of course, Edinburgh City who were a cracking team under James McDonaugh for a few years and just didn't ever get into L1), rather than the deadwood dross who used to get away with being absolutely dire because there wasn't a trapdoor.

I've no idea if it's the case or not, but looking at his squads over the seasons I'd say Annan must have a pretty low budget by L2 standards and that his teams have - generally - punched above their weight. They've never really looked in any danger of finishing 10th and they're currently sitting above the likes of Stenhousemuir, Stirling Albion and Edinburgh City all of whom have, on paper at least, far stronger squads.

1 hour ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

I suspect Imrie was heavily involved with coaching during his time with Hamilton so has some experience.

Dougie Imrie was 1st team coach and head of professional programmes (?) at Livingston when he left to join Morton.

Giving a rookie manager his 1st job at a struggling full time club was always a risk but looking at his career and commitment to the game, his coaching credentials and the fact he was willing to give up a good role at Livi to join Morton meant it was a risk worth taking (we had nothing to lose) and an easy sell to us fans.

Seems we lucked out and found a gem, time will tell. After the absolutely horrendous football we've had inflicted on us over the last few years, I'd say we deserve nice things.

You guys, however, are fucked.

Edited by cappiecat
Eejitness

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Last I heard he was scouting for Sunderland, not sure if he still is though.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

He could be an outside bet if the board are serious about promoting more of a local identity.

If that is indeed the case I wonder if Paddy Flannery is worth a shout?  He did a cracking job albeit at a much lower level with Mid Annandale and as far as I am aware still lives in the area.  I think he has a good job outside the game though which he'd probably be reluctant to jack in to go full-time.

He could be an outside bet if the board are serious about promoting more of a local identity.
If that is indeed the case I wonder if Paddy Flannery is worth a shout?  He did a cracking job albeit at a much lower level with Mid Annandale and as far as I am aware still lives in the area.  I think he has a good job outside the game though which he'd probably be reluctant to jack in to go full-time.

Deary me