Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?   

268 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Jack Ross 3/1

Jim Goodwin 4/1

Dolly the sheep 5/1

Scott Brown 5/1

Neil Lennon 6/1

Gordon Strachan 7/1

Paul Lambert 8/1

Jack Collison 10/1

Kjetil Knutsen 10/1

Kevin Thomson 12/1

Raphael Wicky 12/1

Ronny Deila 12/1

Jaap Stam 16/1

Neil Warnock 16/1

Alex McLeish 16/1

Callum Davidson 20/1

Random Guy 25/1

29 minutes ago, jagfox OG said:

Looking from the outside in but I can appreciate why Glass was punted. The target would be someone who has been effective in the Scottish game and has delivered a cup win and an ability to work with a decent level of player.

The alternative would be a head coach who has delivered excellent results at a European club at a level at roundabout the Scottish league but showing clear signs they could progress beyond that sphere.

Best Scottish candidate, imo is Calum Davidson, has had a horror show this season on the face of it but there appears to be some mitigating factors. When they lost their arguably to best players in the summer transfer window they weren't replaced especially the energy of Ali McCann. However Aberdeen have a better quality of player and there is evidence Davidson can achieve results with good players. 

Going further afield the obvious target would be Kjetil Knutsen of Bodo Glimt - a nothing team who have achieved back to back titles in Norway and still in Europe after Christmas and face Celtic in the UEFA Conference knock out stages. Absolutely thrashed Roma in the group stage. Have also sold players for good money to Germany and Italy but have so far managed to obtain suitable replacements. 

I don't think the Dons need another coach who is in place because they have had a sniff of the hot seat at an MLS team.

Wid love us tae go for Knudsen 

I'd like to hear more about why Ross is a good choice. It does seem he was popular with the players, but Hibs were poor latterly under him.

It surely needs to be Goodwin. A charismatic guy who has his team playing above themselves right now. I mean that respectfully as they've started with a lot of younger lads with little experience. 

It does seem that the big problem isn't the manager but Cormack and whomever was in charge of recruitment. 

I hope you get the scandy boy that jagfox mentioned, especially if he is fond of a statistics metaphor or two.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Are they box office enough for a thread?

I thought any team in the top two leagues is worth a thread, but I suppose that's your domain to decide lol. Also feel like their poor starved fans deserve something, and some of the options could be funny.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

Interestingly Maloney must look at Glass and wonder, as they are both young managers which came with a gamble, now Aberdeen have pulled the trigger, will Petrie do the same?

Petrie left Hibs over 2 and a half years ago m8.

7 minutes ago, velo army said:

I'd like to hear more about why Ross is a good choice. It does seem he was popular with the players, but Hibs were poor latterly under him.

It surely needs to be Goodwin. A charismatic guy who has his team playing above themselves right now. I mean that respectfully as they've started with a lot of younger lads with little experience. 

Feels like Goodwin's been a manager for two minutes and he'll never get a better chance to finish top 6 with St Mirren imo, that would be good for his c.v.

6 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I thought any team in the top two leagues is worth a thread, but I suppose that's your domain to decide lol. Also feel like their poor starved fans deserve something, and some of the options could be funny.

List is up! Fairly pish list but I'm nursing a hangover.

39 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

At the end of the Scottish Cup Final of 1967, a Celtic fan shook my hand and said "I hope you win it before you're an old man." I thought "Cheeky sod", but on reflection it had been 20 years since the Dons had won it (their only win, at that point). Three years later the job was done, 23 years after the first win.

It is now 32 years since we won the cup. A 10 year old at the 2000 Scottish Cup Final has now gone 21 years waiting on the next triumph, although he will have seen a League Cup win.

I've been lucky, I've seen it all (maybe not in person, granted). Scottish Cup wins, League Cup wins, League titles, European trophies.

The only other fans (outwith the gruesome twosome) who can claim that they've witnessed their team win all the domestic honours, would be Dundee United, Kilmarnock, Hearts (he'd need to be about 71, I think if you're any younger than 10 you don't really appreciate cup or title wins), and Hibs. You'd need to be about 81 to remember Hibs winning the league, cup wins are a bit more recent. I suppose if there any 100 year old Motherwell fans about, you could add them to the list.

So that's fans of 6 teams who have seen their teams lift all the domestic honours, only 2 of whom could be younger than 50. I honestly don't think anyone other than Rangers or Celtic are going to win the title. One might have a bad season, but not both. And even when Rangers were absent it couldn't be done. I don't think any fan will witness their team winning all 3 domestic honours again.

The best that any of the rest of us can hope for is the odd cup win but 32 years without winning the Scottish Cup is a disgrace for a club the size of Aberdeen

A superb post

2 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

Feels like Goodwin's been a manager for two minutes and he'll never get a better chance to finish top 6 with St Mirren imo, that would be good for his c.v.

St Mirren fans can laugh off the debacle of Goodwin going to support Celtic in the cup final but I am sure other clubs have noted it and decided Jim is just not ready to step up a level. It was very small time.

Lot of baggage to take on a big Celtic fan as your manager.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

The first person in a new manager thread that mentions Stuart Baxter should receive a one month ban from P&B. In fairness, it did used to be quite amusing about 20 years ago.

Similar to ‘he’s finished…… naw he’s no he’s only 29’

Was funny the first 6000 times.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

:lol:

I like the pun, it's miles off though.

However, it's fair to say Goodwin would literally punch a child out of the way to get in line for Celtic manager..  ;)

Is that why St Mirren keep that Celtic Football Club sign on their stadium?