Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?   

268 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

These threads are basically designed for fans of other clubs to have a wee competition as to the funniest suggestion. 

This thread was started 2 hours ago, when does the competition begin?

If you want a manager to come in and rebuild a squad you need to give them longer than 12 months and 2 transfer windows, IMO. 

Aberdeen are sitting lower than they should be but that happens to every manager at some point.

Cormack strikes me as someone who'll do anything if he thinks the fans want it so I suspect he'll go for Goodwin.

Looking from the outside in but I can appreciate why Glass was punted. The target would be someone who has been effective in the Scottish game and has delivered a cup win and an ability to work with a decent level of player.

The alternative would be a head coach who has delivered excellent results at a European club at a level at roundabout the Scottish league but showing clear signs they could progress beyond that sphere.

Best Scottish candidate, imo is Calum Davidson, has had a horror show this season on the face of it but there appears to be some mitigating factors. When they lost their arguably to best players in the summer transfer window they weren't replaced especially the energy of Ali McCann. However Aberdeen have a better quality of player and there is evidence Davidson can achieve results with good players. 

Going further afield the obvious target would be Kjetil Knutsen of Bodo Glimt - a nothing team who have achieved back to back titles in Norway and still in Europe after Christmas and face Celtic in the UEFA Conference knock out stages. Absolutely thrashed Roma in the group stage. Have also sold players for good money to Germany and Italy but have so far managed to obtain suitable replacements. 

I don't think the Dons need another coach who is in place because they have had a sniff of the hot seat at an MLS team.

I assumed that it would be Scott Brown, is he not the assistant? If he retired from playing you'd instantly be better.

It might be a bit harsh sack him for losing in the cup away to a team above you in the league, but at least he's been spared the embarrasment of possibly losing to us four times in a season. Man, imagine if that happened, a club like us?

I look forward to seeing Glass over here again, managing someone's reserves against our shite Memphis team that plays in a AAA baseball stadium.

At the end of the Scottish Cup Final of 1967, a Celtic fan shook my hand and said "I hope you win it before you're an old man." I thought "Cheeky sod", but on reflection it had been 20 years since the Dons had won it (their only win, at that point). Three years later the job was done, 23 years after the first win.

It is now 32 years since we won the cup. A 10 year old at the 2000 Scottish Cup Final has now gone 21 years waiting on the next triumph, although he will have seen a League Cup win.

I've been lucky, I've seen it all (maybe not in person, granted). Scottish Cup wins, League Cup wins, League titles, European trophies.

The only other fans (outwith the gruesome twosome) who can claim that they've witnessed their team win all the domestic honours, would be Dundee United, Kilmarnock, Hearts (he'd need to be about 71, I think if you're any younger than 10 you don't really appreciate cup or title wins), and Hibs. You'd need to be about 81 to remember Hibs winning the league, cup wins are a bit more recent. I suppose if there any 100 year old Motherwell fans about, you could add them to the list.

So that's fans of 6 teams who have seen their teams lift all the domestic honours, only 2 of whom could be younger than 50. I honestly don't think anyone other than Rangers or Celtic are going to win the title. One might have a bad season, but not both. And even when Rangers were absent it couldn't be done. I don't think any fan will witness their team winning all 3 domestic honours again.

The best that any of the rest of us can hope for is the odd cup win but 32 years without winning the Scottish Cup is a disgrace for a club the size of Aberdeen

6 minutes ago, jagfox OG said:

Going further afield the obvious target would be Kjetil Knutsen of Bodo Glimt - a nothing team who have achieved back to back titles in Norway and still in Europe after Christmas and face Celtic in the UEFA Conference knock out stages. Absolutely thrashed Roma in the group stage. Have also sold players for good money to Germany and Italy but have so far managed to obtain suitable replacements. 

That sounds impressive, surely he'll be hoping for a better gig than Pittodrie?

3 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

That sounds impressive, surely he'll be hoping for a better gig than Pittodrie?

Well, if you don't ask...

No idea if Kjetil is lined up foe elsewhere already, happy where he is or just hasn't been offered a project that would interest him?