Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?   

268 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not really. No-one has won our top flight bar the two disproportionally large clubs in the country for the last hundred years, and post-Bosman, the rest of us are a bit fcuked. Well, more than a bit fcuked. Players come and go in five minutes and none of us can assemble, and keep, a truly strong team. I accept it. Fcuk all I can do about it. Christ, we’re already talking about Alex Greive leaving us after two goals and six games (some of which were sub appearances).
The game’s a bogey, but I still go. Literally take things one game, one week at a time…. Set my stall out early doors, etc.

No one is saying we can win the league but it doesn’t mean we should accept being in the bottom six and meekly exiting both cups when we have the third biggest playing budget in the league.

11 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

That list is so depressing that I refuse to pick one. Let all other teams fans who want a laugh have a choice.

These threads are basically designed for fans of other clubs to have a wee competition as to the funniest suggestion. 

What Aberdeen fans want is silverware, the league is a stretch but the cups aren't. The obvious choice of manager is one that has shown they can not only deliver one cup, but do a double too. Which makes it all the more surprising that name is not in Ludo's poll.

Ross is the obvious candidate, and while there may have been some questions about his Hibs tenure his replacement in Maloney has maybe put a bit of perspective on that. There is the psycho drama of him facing up to the club that sacked him a few months back. Interestingly Maloney must look at Glass and wonder, as they are both young managers which came with a gamble, now Aberdeen have pulled the trigger, will Petrie do the same?

Personally I think Cormack will look to an American coach, so if it's not Ross, then I expect a fairly experienced, but little known manager working with the MLS.

The elephant in the room with my post is Goodwin, and while I think he'll be interested, and may even get interviewed, I don't think either he or the Aberdeen board will go down that route.

The main problem with binning your manager a couple of weeks after the transfer window closes is that you *really* have to hope that the manager was the main problem and not the players as the new guy isn't going to be able to make any difference to the squad.

It's probably one of those situations where Aberdeen would be as well to put a caretaker in charge for the rest of the season (as there is no way they will go down IMO) and think a bit more long term with a manager in the summer and a chance to get a couple of players in that don't blanch at the thought of a 50/50 challenge.

Also - with any club, binning your manager with (presumably) no one else lined up is a risk in itself - I've never been convinced that unless a real point of no return (like McGhee with us on the famous night we got a doing at Pittodrie and he indulged in some performance art in the main stand), that dumping someone and then "inviting CV's" is any better than the status quo. 

Just now, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

Goodwin would crawl over broken Glass to manage the reds. 

:lol:

I like the pun, it's miles off though.

However, it's fair to say Goodwin would literally punch a child out of the way to get in line for Celtic manager..  ;)

6 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

No one is saying we can win the league but it doesn’t mean we should accept being in the bottom six and meekly exiting both cups when we have the third biggest playing budget in the league.

I get that. I agree Aberdeen’s current position isn’t great in regard to league results, league placing, and cup exit - which to be fair, was an away game at Motherwell, not St Johnstone losing to Kelty Hearts. Glass lasted less than a year. What happens if Aberdeen appoint Ross / Lennon / Someone… and are still a bit whiffy? Sack them after nine months too? Be like Watford FC?

That’s what I ask. What are the expectations to see a manager there not be bagged after nine months again? How is any new manager going to turn things around in less than a year?

What Aberdeen fans want is silverware, the league is a stretch but the cups aren't. The obvious choice of manager is one that has shown they can not only deliver one cup, but do a double too. Which makes it all the more surprising that name is not in Ludo's poll.
Ross is the obvious candidate, and while there may have been some questions about his Hibs tenure his replacement in Maloney has maybe put a bit of perspective on that. There is the psycho drama of him facing up to the club that sacked him a few months back. Interestingly Maloney must look at Glass and wonder, as they are both young managers which came with a gamble, now Aberdeen have pulled the trigger, will Petrie do the same?
Personally I think Cormack will look to an American coach, so if it's not Ross, then I expect a fairly experienced, but little known manager working with the MLS.
The elephant in the room with my post is Goodwin, and while I think he'll be interested, and may even get interviewed, I don't think either he or the Aberdeen board will go down that route.

When did Goodwin sign his extension until? I’d agree with you that it could peak his interest and he may be interviewed, but he’s in a safe job right now, does he want to give that up for what? A total squad overhaul? I doubt it.

For my worth, it’ll be Brown as caretaker until the end of the season and a random appointment from the MLS.

3 minutes ago, mizfit said:

When did Goodwin sign his extension until? I’d agree with you that it could peak his interest and he may be interviewed, but he’s in a safe job right now, does he want to give that up for what? A total squad overhaul? I doubt it.

For my worth, it’ll be Brown as caretaker until the end of the season and a random appointment from the MLS.

2024 he's contracted until.

Is it harsh of me to bring this up so soon?

Screenshot_20220213-124609_Twitter.jpg

17 minutes ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

Aberdeen can reasonably expect to qualify for Europe every year and win more than 1 Scottish cup in 30 years. 

Glass and McInnes weren't sacked for failing to split the old firm, which McInnes did, twice, by the way. They were sacked for poor results comparative to the football budget they were afforded. 

It's a total myth that everyone in the NE is stuck in 1985. We know fine well what's at play. 

I would take Goodwin. Great opportunity for him to work for a proper club, proper stadium, proper fan base. 

I can see Goodwin going to a club like Hearts who are a monster in size club wise and fan base wise compared to the likes Of Aberdeen.

I get that. I agree Aberdeen’s current position isn’t great in regard to league results, league placing, and cup exit - which to be fair, was an away game at Motherwell, not St Johnstone losing to Kelty Hearts. Glass lasted less than a year. What happens if Aberdeen appoint Ross / Lennon / Someone… and are still a bit whiffy? Sack them after nine months too? Be like Watford FC?
That’s what I ask. What are the expectations to see a manager there not be bagged after nine months again? How is any new manager going to turn things around in less than a year?

Minimum expectation for me would be top six, do ok in at least one of the cups, a few decent signings and (maybe most importantly) signs that what they’re working on could work and improve going forward.

Glass has us 9th in the league, out of one cup to a lower league side in the first round and a meek surrender in the second round in the other, a lot more misses than hits in the transfer market and most importantly, we keep making the same mistakes and there’s no sign of improvement. He’s lost exactly half of his 34 games this season and that’s after a bedding in period at the end of last season as well.

It’s simply untrue that we expect to be winning the league or whatever people think but we’re absolutely right not to accept the season we’ve had given the resources our club has.

Aberdeen have bottled it, in the same way as every other ‘experiment’ appointment gets bottled if the success isn’t immediate.  Clubs should have the courage of their convictions and see the experiment through for 2-3 years at least.

Aberdeen could be sixth this week and only be two points away from their expected 3rd or 4th league position.  Losing in the cup before the quarter finals is disappointing but it wasn’t to Stenhousemuir.

On 06/02/2022 at 20:36, Charles Stiles said:

Clive also mentioned the Boreham Wood manager had turned down some EFL jobs and also an approach from a Scottish Premiership 'outfit' but didn't mention of which one. 

👀 Wonder if that was Aberdeen

Edited by 2426255

19 minutes ago, ropy said:

Aberdeen have bottled it, in the same way as every other ‘experiment’ appointment gets bottled if the success isn’t immediate.  Clubs should have the courage of their convictions and see the experiment through for 2-3 years at least.

Aberdeen could be sixth this week and only be two points away from their expected 3rd or 4th league position.  Losing in the cup before the quarter finals is disappointing but it wasn’t to Stenhousemuir.

It wasn’t Stenhousemuir, but it was only Motherwell.