Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?   

268 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Calderwood had his issues and his time was over too but he was hardly shite and only left 4 years before McInnes took over. All things taken in context I don't think McInnes achieved that much more than Calderwood in the league at least.

McInnes had a much better league record than Calderwood, even taking the opposition into account. No other manager outside the cheeks has been that consistent in the league.

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I can now confirm that I’m not going to be the next Aberdeen manager

Do any other P&B contributors wish to rule themselves out

Anyone who watched Aberdeen tonight will be ruling themselves out. 

4 hours ago, anotherchance said:

it’s been widely reported that we’re considering a few candidates and doing interviews - if it’s 250k before we can even talk to Goodwin then that’ll be a no, hopefully.

Even if he speaks with us, I’d hope the compo would work against him actually getting it.

Agree,can't see you paying that out as you need a rebuild in the summer.  The figure is buying out the rest of Goodwin's contract  which we would have to pay out if sacked so fair enough. 

They were saying on Sportsound tonight that Goodwin mentioned to Smurn fans recently at some event that he had a release clause in his contract.

Not sure what we were prepared to pay for McGrath before James McClean took a break from poppy protests to apparently persuade him to sign for Wigan instead?

Maybe that money can be boxed off for Goodwin compo.

Otherwise let Robson keep it going and see if he can find a defence that doesn’t make Van Veen look like Van Basten this weekend.

16 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

They were saying on Sportsound tonight that Goodwin mentioned to Smurn fans recently at some event that he had a release clause in his contract.

Not sure what we were prepared to pay for McGrath before James McClean took a break from poppy protests to apparently persuade him to sign for Wigan instead?

Maybe that money can be boxed off for Goodwin compo.

Otherwise let Robson keep it going and see if he can find a defence that doesn’t make Van Veen look like Van Basten this weekend.

Every game he’s played against us, Van Veen should’ve been sent off, but for the perennial ineptitude & shitebaggery of Scottish referees. 

4 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

McInnes had a much better league record than Calderwood, even taking the opposition into account. No other manager outside the cheeks has been that consistent in the league.

image.png.5afb480ab350ffe6cb702112888d2e07.png

We're the only two teams outside Celtic who have been in the league since Calderwood was appointed for the 2004-05 season. Not as big a gap as you may think with the resource and financial gulf between our two clubs. You're 4.6 to our 6.1 so 1.5 league places better on average but have probably spent £125m more than us (Motherwell £2.5m to Aberdeen £10m = £7.5m x 17 seasons = £127.5m).

Bump a few of those 2nd's from 2015 onwards down to thirds and the Derek vs Jimmy record isn't as big as you suggest.

Edited by Kapowzer

8 hours ago, tarapoa said:

You sound like Cormack on Sportsound there. Another way to look at is, is based on the final league positions that season, we beat the sides that finished 2nd (Motherwell) in the QFs,  5th (St Johnstone) in the SFs and 4th (Inverness) in the final.  

Goodwin feels the right fit - glad we are targeting him. 

And you sound like Milne...

A "right fit" in what way?

Edited by Bogbrush1903

39 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

image.png.5afb480ab350ffe6cb702112888d2e07.png

We're the only two teams outside Celtic who have been in the league since Calderwood was appointed for the 2004-05 season. Not as big a gap as you may think with the resource and financial gulf between our two clubs. You're 4.6 to our 6.1 so 1.5 league places better on average but have probably spent £125m more than us (Motherwell £2.5m to Aberdeen £10m = £7.5m x 17 seasons = £127.5m).

Bump a few of those 2nd's from 2015 onwards down to thirds and the Derek vs Jimmy record isn't as big as you suggest.

Ironically our average placing would be way better if it wasn't for the successive managers we poached off you. 

You shouldn't really expect the average placing to be proportionate to spend. The relationship between spend and placing is more likely to be better expressed in ordinal numbers than cardinal ones- i.e. How that spending ranks against the competition.

I'd bet over that period we've spent fourth most, maybe fifth depending on hibs, so are probably on average where we should be. 

It's not that surprising that Motherwell average just behind the five big city clubs, although i don't know how that relates to budget- i'd guess the dundee clubs and Killie are the closest spenders? You've almost certainly outperformed them. 

Anyway, both Jimmy and Derek kept us respectable but were clearly in decline. I wasn't in favour of the timing of binning either but could see the arguments. Derek was clearly more consistent and better, but i liked Jimmy too. 

image.png.5bf4ba50ea20026192f70790bd95ee07.png

Updated to show Edinburgh's two. Worth remembering despite 9 in row, Celtic's average is 1.29. To work out Rangers>Sevco>Newco journey, I'd have to visit far too many wikipedia pages and a 37th, 25th, 14th, 13th etc. do skew the past 17 seasons quite a bit

But to correct your post @coprolite, Motherwell are only behind the Dons. 4 cup finals too in that time but always against the OF and no silverwear and I'd sacrifice league placings record for a cup.

Dundee Utd outspend us, the chat in our thread is Tony is on £4k+ a week. it's probably between us and Killie (until recently) for the 7th biggest, but our wage bill seems to be consistent around 9th-10th.

Fortune also came into things, our administration in 2002 under Boyle didn't have a points penalty at the time and we avoided relegation in 2003 when Broomfield was not 10k all seater. Granted these were before 2004-05 when Jimmy Calderwood was appointed in 2004-05 and was the catalyst for generating the table.

15 points deducted from Hearts in 2013-14, Hibs being chronic that season and losing to Accies meant the 2014-15 Championship was a perfect storm with the Jimmy Carr's being promoted. Hearts got back up immediately only to be smited by Cathro/Levein and Covid in 2019-20 and down again.

Edited by Kapowzer

11 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Exactly, but just watch the change of opinion on here if it becomes clear that Goodwin's the man. They'll search for positives, find some where none exist, cling to other slim pickins' and in a year or two's time we'll be in the same position (or worse) as Goodwin gets his jotters.

If the rumours are true though, Cormack has his heart set on a lazy and supposedly 'safe' appointment.

Derek Adams is a far better manager with way more proven avtual club experience, successb& promotion, final experience etc. Also player contacts, yet would suit County level as Aberdeen step above.

Adams has experience that Goodwin just does not have. Sure, Adams would may well end suddenly after leaving 2 years down the line due to dressing room fall out, punch up, whatever. Yet any players he did fall out with, more often than not Adams would be in the right!! Sleaks hus mind, a la Fergie!? Good manager, would do great job for 2 years, then move on on Director of football or something before hits the fan.

Goodwin, are you going to pay actual money for him as well!!! 250k? More? Better going with Ross, free and I rate higher. Astounded that Aberdeen fans considering any Premier manager below 3rd place as having great season, when so little in it this season. Even rating their cup run, easy teams in all. Goodwin suddenly genius. Will be a laugh watching how long he lasts if hired, give him less time than Glass got.

Manager of the year for me ( from 3rd and below) Martindale. Why is he not getting mentioned? Better than Goodwin, Ross, Malky, doesn't look the part and has less media pals than Goodwin & Ross. Not a year to be searching the Scottish Premiership for a manager, reckon other leagues, countries the place to be looking...

So Goodwin it will be, hehe :)

7 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

image.png.5bf4ba50ea20026192f70790bd95ee07.png

Updated to show Edinburgh's two. Worth remembering despite 9 in row, Celtic's average is 1.29. To work out Rangers>Sevco>Newco journey, I'd have to visit far too many wikipedia pages and a 37th, 25th, 14th, 13th etc. do skew the past 17 seasons quite a bit

But to correct your post @coprolite, Motherwell are only behind the Dons. 4 cup finals too in that time but always against the OF and no silverwear and I'd sacrifice league placings record for a cup.

Dundee Utd outspend us, the chat in our thread is Tony is on £4k+ a week. it's probably between us and Killie (until recently) for the 7th biggest, but our wage bill seems to be consistent around 9th-10th.

Fortune also came into things, our administration in 2002 under Boyle didn't have a points penalty at the time and we avoided relegation in 2003 when Broomfield was not 10k all seater. Granted these were before 2004-05 when Jimmy Calderwood was appointed in 2004-05 and was the catalyst for generating the table.

15 points deducted from Hearts in 2013-14, Hibs being chronic that season and losing to Accies meant the 2014-15 Championship was a perfect storm with the Jimmy Carr's being promoted. Hearts got back up immediately only to be smited by Cathro/Levein and Covid in 2019-20 and down again.

Could you do that data for all SPFL clubs?  Would be interesting to see.  Of course, feel free to tell me to fuck off too.

6 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Sounds as if Goodwin has met with Aberdeen already but Cormac has decided not to pursue him any further and now that Goodwin's head has been turned he's looking at taking up the reigns elsewhere, most likely down south.

Turning into a bit of a nightmare scenario for St. Mirren.

Yes, that sounds like what's happened. FFS.