Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?   

268 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Aberdeen are a very oddly run club right now, McInnes was holding things together and he's left a big void and they seem to have just replaced that with a few buzzwords and don't really know how to run things. Cormack seems a tad obsessed with making big statements and branding which is great but it's been to the detriment of the football side (e.g. appointing an unqualified manager who pledged “fast, attacking football”). It's like his decision making is to impress people and 'excite' rather than actually get the basics there. Personally think when boards start pledging on what style of play a manager is going to play etc, it wrecks everything.
It's probably lucrative and too big an opportunity for someone like Goodwin to actually turn down but I genuinely think that the next manager could be a disaster appointment depending on how board have them operate.

The club was a shambles when McInnes took over. He improved a lot of aspects of the football side but meant he ended up with too much control over things. Any attempt to remove that control and to implement a proper structure would lead to tension and ultimately would mean he’d have to leave. Hopefully having a proper consistent plan and staff in place will serve us well and not mean we have to rip it up and start again for each new manager. That said, we need to be flexible to an extent as if you dictate things too much then you limit the number of managers you can actually attract.

1 hour ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

I'd love Goodwin if for nothing more than the Buddie implosion. 

Funny watching them try kid themselves Aberdeen isn't a step up from St Mirren. 

We all know Aberdeen is a step up, some folk are at the wind up or just enjoying kicking the Dons when they are down, for just now.

I wouldn't begrudge Aberdeen getting him, I wouldn't begrudge Goodwin getting a big rise in pay and a good opportunity to showcase his talents at a bigger club. 

His style is more Steve Clark making the team hard to beat, players working their bollocks off and running through a brick wall for him. He has a good eye for talent, especially Irish guys but definitely has weaknesses too. Maybe he has made enough mistakes to learn from them at Aberdeen.

I'd be gutted to lose him, not to mention the fact the list of replacements would be depressing as hell.

13 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Derek Adams would be very, very funny. A bang average manager (at best) and a p***k to go along with it.

I can see why Goodwin would be a meh appointment for a number of reasons. I mean, is he really doing that well at St Mirren? I'd say he has them roughly where they should be given the size of the club - the fact St Mirren have been largely dug shite for decades probably makes it look like he's doing better than he actually is.

Exactly, but just watch the change of opinion on here if it becomes clear that Goodwin's the man. They'll search for positives, find some where none exist, cling to other slim pickins' and in a year or two's time we'll be in the same position (or worse) as Goodwin gets his jotters.

If the rumours are true though, Cormack has his heart set on a lazy and supposedly 'safe' appointment.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Derek Adams would be very, very funny. A bang average manager (at best) and a p***k to go along with it.

I can see why Goodwin would be a meh appointment for a number of reasons. I mean, is he really doing that well at St Mirren? I'd say he has them roughly where they should be given the size of the club - the fact St Mirren have been largely dug shite for decades probably makes it look like he's doing better than he actually is.

To her fair to him, in the last 30(?) years St Mirren have either been in the second tier or in a relegation battle. He’s got them to the point where I would be quite surprised if they got relegated which is something I guess.

They had a good season last year but still finished below Livi and St Johnstone who would have had similar budgets and he’s been outperformed by Motherwell in that period as well. I don’t see anyone touting Martindale, Davidson or Alexander (or Robinson) for Aberdeen, would Goodwin really be any better than any of them?

2 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Something we Aberdeen supporters know only to well...

Aye. Not many candidates sticking our for me. Jack Ross will have won a watch if he lands the Aberdeen job after Hibs getting shot of him. 

I don't think Goodwin has done enough to land the Aberdeen job either, but Callum Davidson won 2 trophies last season and there's no way you'd take him just now. 

Edited by sergie's no1 fan

45 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Without wishing to belittle that Scottish League Cup triumph, and you can only beat who is put in front of you, however, Sevco lost to Forfar, Celtic lost to Morton, Hearts beat Hibs but then lost to Inverness in semis. A path was cleared that we still need to take advantage of but it wasn't a cup triumph that we necessarily needed to perform at our best to win, as penalty wins against Alloa and ICT proved. 

You sound like Cormack on Sportsound there. Another way to look at is, is based on the final league positions that season, we beat the sides that finished 2nd (Motherwell) in the QFs,  5th (St Johnstone) in the SFs and 4th (Inverness) in the final.  

Goodwin feels the right fit - glad we are targeting him. 

Edited by tarapoa

28 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Our retreat to the shadows can be tracked against the emergence of Sevco as a force.

It's not so much the fans that don't embrace the challenge as the chairmen, managers and players that shy away. However, fans will walk away if they don't believe the club are making a real effort to compete. Most Aberdeen fans yearn to challenge again.

Still not really relevant to the point. Sounds good though. 

Derek Adams' sacking hasn't exactly gone down badly with the Bradford City faithful, going by the comments belopw their official statement firing him. Accused of relntless negativity and "poisoning" the club.

No doubt he did a near-miraculous job in getting Morecambe into League One and had a good spell at Plymouth too, but he does seem to be an acquired taste.

Goodwin would be an alright move for us, and him imo but the other names banded about give me the fear and the boak in equal measure. 

Honestly with the square root of f**k all to play for I'd stick with Barry Robson until the end of the season see how he does. No point rushing this and getting an Adams/Ross inevitable disaster. 

2 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Honestly with the square root of f**k all to play for I'd stick with Barry Robson until the end of the season see how he does. 

I'd be okay with that too (especially if they can't get Goodwin or as seems the case Knutsen).  I like the cut of Barry's jib.

I never quite get this thinking that there is nothing left to play for - 4th (or even 5th) in the league could still avoid the sheer diddiness of these LC sections we've never been in before.

54 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

:o

:thumsup2

But he was preceded by 10 years of shite, nearly anything would be an improvement. This new man will have been preceded by only 12 months of shite.

Good

Calderwood had his issues and his time was over too but he was hardly shite and only left 4 years before McInnes took over. All things taken in context I don't think McInnes achieved that much more than Calderwood in the league at least.

3 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Calderwood had his issues and his time was over too but he was hardly shite and only left 4 years before McInnes took over. All things taken in context I don't think McInnes achieved that much more than Calderwood in the league at least.

Ooops, I forgot about Calderwood :o, leaving him aside, 12 years of shite, then, :lol:.

Woildnt be suprised if Aberdeen get Goodwin, St. Mirren get Ross. Reckon St. Mirren fans would be happy with that, probably better manager as time will tell.

Surely though there are better, more experienced options out there for Dons. Derek Adams would be great for 2 years only IMO. Worth it tho for those 2 years

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

If the media and the rumours are to believed the frontrunners are:

The recently sacked manager of Bradford City

The recently sacked manager of Hibernian, and before that, the sacked manager of Sunderland

The manager of the team currently lying 6th in the Scottish Premiership and a whopping three points in front of ourselves

I just don't see how any of these candidates are going to galvanise the club and the support. I always think Aberdeen are at its best when the supporters start believing. I'm struggling to envision a scenario where any of these three create a situation in the short-term where the fans start believing and things start to snowball.

I would say that I'll back the new manager all the way whoever it is but I'll more than likely just distract myself with anything other than Aberdeen if results and performances don't start improving quickly.

This has all the hallmarks of an Alex Miller type appointment (if there is any foundation to the speculation).

Derek Adams is only one of the front runners because he recently got sacked. Similarly Ross is free and on the shortlist. Easy, but lazy, options as it's not like the bookies have insiders in the Aberdeen board. 

Goodwin is doing a decent job despite being 6th. If they were any further ahead it would be embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Yet you all keep biting.

🤣🤣

Im at total ease over this, whatever happens happens. 

If i were you , I'd be more concerned with trying to win your game tonight. Given the current turmoil surrounding your team, its not beyond the realms of fantasy that you might end up in a relegation battle.

1 minute ago, Munoz said:

Im at total ease over this, whatever happens happens. 

If i were you , I'd be more concerned with trying to win your game tonight. Given the current turmoil surrounding your team, its not beyond the realms of fantasy that you might end up in a relegation battle.

You realise he won’t actually be playing tonight