Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?   

268 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Jim Goodwin is an arsehole.

Not sure if he will do well at Aberdeen or not but I can understand why they have decided to have a punt on him and it will be interesting to see how he does at a bigger club with a bigger budget.

Is @Div waiting to see who his replacement is before pulling the plug?

Just now, gudge1903 said:

I didn't have Goodwin at the top of my list but the seethe he is causing amongst the diddy clubs (both saints teams especially) makes me think Cormack has got the right man.

Plenty of seethe coming from your fans. Diddy club indeed.

There's a high chance that Goodwin will be a run of the mill SPL manager who can organise a defence. That's an improvement on where we are. 

There's little chance that he's completely useless but there is still that chance. 

There's a bigger chance that he might be better than average and do well with us. He hasn't shown any indication of having hit his ceiling the way that other names in the frame have. 

So it's probably quite a safe bet with more chance of upside than downside. 

I'd have preferred someone completely out of leftfield but it's maybe not the right time. 

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Do you think that your backing for Jim Goodwin will last longer than your backing for Stephen Glass?

That would very much depend on results, mon ami.

(Starting today, obviously...)

27 minutes ago, coprolite said:

There's a high chance that Goodwin will be a run of the mill SPL manager who can organise a defence. That's an improvement on where we are.

The defence is not the issue, he genuinely has a decent eye for defensive players. Those at the other end of the pitch? This was the man who signed not just Erwin but Main, but also played them expecting either to score goals.

The irony is that after lots of shuffling of the deckchairs, he's finally landed on a combination that allows us to attack, and he leaves. Fine for us, we still have those players, tough for him as he'll try and replicate that at Aberdeen and going by his previous efforts it's not a guaranteed success.

Of course the caveat being you have Ramirez, so it's not like you are completely devoid of presence up front, and he'll have a shit ton more money to play with (esp, if Ramsay goes) but when it comes to the Summer window, don't be surprised if your attacking purchases are less than exciting.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

The defence is not the issue, he genuinely has a decent eye for defensive players. Those at the other end of the pitch? This was the man who signed not just Erwin but Main, but also played them expecting either to score goals.

The irony is that after lots of shuffling of the deckchairs, he's finally landed on a combination that allows us to attack, and he leaves. Fine for us, we still have those players, tough for him as he'll try and replicate that at Aberdeen and going by his previous efforts it's not a guaranteed success.

Of course the caveat being you have Ramirez, so it's not like you are completely devoid of presence up front, and he'll have a shit ton more money to play with (esp, if Ramsay goes) but when it comes to the Summer window, don't be surprised if your attacking purchases are less than exciting.

It's not going to matter who our strikers are if we don't get the ball to them. He might or might not be better at making that happen  than Glass and McInnes before him, but he can hardly be worse. 

For the rest of the season i'd be happy to turn some of our 0-1 defeats to defensive calamities to 0-0 shitfests. 

See what happens in the summer. 

Just now, coprolite said:

It's not going to matter who our strikers are if we don't get the ball to them. He might or might not be better at making that happen  than Glass and McInnes before him, but he can hardly be worse.

Sure, in the round, it's a minor point. He certainly seems to be able to create a solid foundation.

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

For the rest of the season i'd be happy to turn some of our 0-1 defeats to defensive calamities to 0-0 shitfests. 

See what happens in the summer. 

0-0 shitfests for Aberdeen will do nicely for the rest of the league in and around you - which pretty much is everyone bar the ugly sisters. Hopefully Jim can deliver a ton of them.

I really do wish him well, I hope he gets the time he needs to sort out the current rabble. He will get your players organised, structured and hard to beat. You have good players in the final third and a good poacher which should make the difference.

No ill feeling from me to him or the Dons as Aberdeen have vast resources that dwarf us and if he wins a trophy there he will go down in history and potentially get a good gig down South. No brainer.  It was hinted on here he was only a couple of losses away from losing his job when we went on that bad run so it works both ways.

That being said, obviously as a StMirren fan, I want us to finish as high as possible, including above you lot and it will be the same vice versa. Whether that will be possible for us now remains to be seen. Some of the names floating about for our vacancy has given me the fear.

1 minute ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

Still smarting, I see. 

JG turning up in some smart gear today. Knows he's in the big time, can't be a body warmer and tracksuit all the time. 

Don’t know why you think I am smarting. I knew we’d lose John McGinn, Kenny McLean, Lewis Morgan, Jamie McGrath. I knew when Jack Ross did well he’d be off. I knew if Jim Goodwin did a decent job he’d attract some sort of attention from a bigger club, and Aberdeen are a bigger club. I know we will be unlikely to keep a quality loanee like Conor Ronan. I know as soon as we get someone decent, they’ll be offski. I have accepted this for a long, long time, and have regularly said so on here. I do not lose one iota of sleep over it anymore. Not for one moment.

I do however happen to believe Jim was on a good thing with us. Job was as secure as it gets in top flight football these days. Without a single scrap of bitterness, I just happen to believe he has made a mistake going to Aberdeen, in the landscape of Scottish football in 2022. If he had stayed with us, and continued his (very short and very recent) upward trajectory, I think he could have attracted ‘Jack Ross to Sunderland’ type of gigs down South. 

Just my opinion. Last time I got upset about a St Mirren manager leaving was Fergie in the late 1970s. Last time I was hacked off about losing a player was when another Fergie buggered off to Oldco after the 1987 Cup Final.