Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?   

268 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

So no contract contain stipulations not to contact other clubs? Come now, you know both of our opinions meet in the middle.

No they don’t :lol:

You specifically said the contract exists to prevent contact with other clubs. That simply isn’t true. 

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

You specifically said the contract exists to prevent contact with other clubs. That simply isn’t true.

As I wrote earlier, I was too absolute, it is part of the reason for them though.

You seem to think everything is known and the manager can go and talk to anyone they want while still employed. I'm saying there are legal restrictions for them to do so.

The truth is clearly somewhere in the middle, it's an old boys network so informal chats through third parties obviously happen. That's where I'm saying our opinions meet in the middle.

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

If they do then that's probably not enforceable. Certainly sounds like it contradicts employment law.

No, not if you agree to those terms. For example, I've had similar terms in my contracts before. Not a like for like, of course, but they are common.

Edit: In an attempt to draw a line under this, as it's clear some people get annoyed at others posting in an open forum (:P), I'll happily admit the whole thing is moot anyway. Goodwin is now speaking to Aberdeen officially. Whatever our respective opinions, the circumstances have moved on.

Edited by Ric

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

So no contract contain stipulations not to contact other clubs? Come now, you know both of our opinions meet in the middle.

If they do then that's probably not enforceable. Certainly sounds like it contradicts employment law. Given how often it happens and the absence of court cases, i'd wager that if these clauses are anything more than a fever dream, the clubs know they don't work. 

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I don’t think you’re stuck in the 80s and expecting that level of success. I do however think that Scottish top flight football now, very much so,  consists of the Old Firm and the rest. I don’t see a helluva’ lot between seven or eight clubs. I don’t see Aberdeen’s ‘3rd biggest budget in Scottish football’ guaranteeing you anything. Certainly not guaranteeing Jim Goodwin, or anyone, meeting whatever your expectations are, that would see them not go the way of Glass in a couple of seasons. Your board and fans are certainly seeking something, no different from fans of any club of course. You might not be seeking the 80s success, but you better get your heads around the fact that, no matter your budget, you are no more likely to finish 3rd or 4th and win the odd cup than a lot of other top flight clubs these days.

We’ve finished 3rd or 4th the last 8 seasons in a row. 

1 hour ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

A point of no return for many fans. 

Myself included.

He turned them down. Told them to f*ck off. Gave them the middle finger. Totally pissed them off. The end justifies the means. Anyone not being pleased about that had an agenda.

21 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

I love that you living in Aberdeen for a while at some point in the distant past and knowing "loads of Aberdeen fans who were stuck in the 80s" is meant to be some conclusive fact and final word on the matter 😆

Lazy pish relating to Aberdeen fans being stuck in the 80s.

What part of their teams past are Hearts fans stuck in for example? Living in Edinburgh id say a vast majority of Hearts fans think they are a huge club who undoubtedly are the "3rd force" who should be challenging the old firm.

In the past decade they havent finished above Aberdeen in the league (this season is the year of course) and weve won a trophy more recently.

Bar the crowd wanking from hearts where does this entitlement come from? What decade are they stuck in?

Im sure you have met "loads of hearts fans" in the past and can therefore give a definitive answer on this ...

Hibs have an entire stand named after some arseholes who might have been half-decent at fitba in the '50s.  Hearts fans think they won the First World War.  Celtic lose their shit over the Lisbon Lions every couple of weeks.  Rangers are only 10 years old so dunno about them.  I'm not sure why we are repeatedly singled out for being stuck in the past!  

I'd say that the posters who repeatedly say AFC** are stuck in the 80s are usually the fans of clubs who have never had a period of success to get nostalgic about, or their teams successful period is even further back than that if it does exist.

They are possibly just jealous that the club they support has never been relevant outside the town or city they reside in.

Fully expect to see Jak Alnwick at Pittodrie next season.

Joe Lewis is 34, nowhere near as good as he was a few seasons ago & has only managed four clean sheets (that blunder last season in the LC 🤐)

Alnwick has been one of the league’s stand out GKs, seven clean sheets, some spectacular saves & arguably our best keeper since Campbell Money

3 minutes ago, TheMuzekMan said:

Fully expect to see Jak Alnwick at Pittodrie next season.

Joe Lewis is 34, nowhere near as good as he was a few seasons ago & has only managed four clean sheets (that blunder last season in the LC 🤐)

Alnwick has been one of the league’s stand out GKs, seven clean sheets, some spectacular saves & arguably our best keeper since Campbell Money

On the subject of goalkeepers, dare I ask, will Clangers be coming home as part of the coaching team 😉

1 hour ago, daresaints said:

Surprised that Aberdeen have gone for Goodwin tbh - what has he actually achieved at St Mirren ? Couldn’t get us into the top 6 last year and this year prior to recent good run of half a dozen games had us on a winless run of 11 games .

Will make Aberdeen tougher and hard to beat but if it is free flowing attacking football you are after then forget it. Probably more concerned about who he will poach in summer. Alnwick, Gogic and Greive will be on his radar I’m sure. 

No doubt trolling but the last time St Mirren finished in the top 6 was when Aberdeen won the Premier League. 

5 minutes ago, Sheep62 said:

On the subject of goalkeepers, dare I ask, will Clangers be coming home as part of the coaching team 😉

I think his family are settled here so I doubt he’s going to be joining Jim & Sharpy at Pittodrie.
You’ve already got poppadom hands as your new GK coach anyway 😅👀

1 minute ago, TheMuzekMan said:

I think his family are settled here so I doubt he’s going to be joining Jim & Sharpy at Pittodrie.
You’ve already got poppadom hands as your new GK coach anyway 😅👀

Yeah , he's been here through several managers and has his own GK academy here outwith the club !

15 minutes ago, gudge1903 said:

I'd say that the posters who repeatedly say AFC** are stuck in the 80s are usually the fans of clubs who have never had a period of success to get nostalgic about, or their teams successful period is even further back than that if it does exist.

They are possibly just jealous that the club they support has never been relevant outside the town or city they reside in.

At least you don’t let it get to you though.

25 minutes ago, resk said:

Hibs have an entire stand named after some arseholes who might have been half-decent at fitba in the '50s.  Hearts fans think they won the First World War.  Celtic lose their shit over the Lisbon Lions every couple of weeks.  Rangers are only 10 years old so dunno about them.  I'm not sure why we are repeatedly singled out for being stuck in the past!  

You forgot Aberdeen have a stand named after some cock, sorry, Dick.

Our stand is named after an Enid Blyton set of books, actually.