Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

This will be tricky, because it’s clear that the Russians delayed the pullback long enough to mine and booby trap the whole damn place, plus it’s likely they have registered all possible militarily useful positions on the west bank of the Dnipro with their artillery emplaced on the East bank. I’d expect slow Ukrainian advance in this area, and some very disturbing reports from the area.

10 hours ago, TxRover said:

This will be tricky, because it’s clear that the Russians delayed the pullback long enough to mine and booby trap the whole damn place, plus it’s likely they have registered all possible militarily useful positions on the west bank of the Dnipro with their artillery emplaced on the East bank. I’d expect slow Ukrainian advance in this area, and some very disturbing reports from the area.

but once that's over and done with:

Hopefully the following wasn't one of Joe Biden's senior citizen moments:

Edited by LongTimeLurker

They almost certainly will need to clear Kherson street by street - that will slow any Ukrainian advance.

10 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

They almost certainly will need to clear Kherson street by street - that will slow any Ukrainian advance.

I'm not sure they will. If they are close enough to get into Kherson they are close enough to cut off the garrison. So long as they are patient there is no need to flatten Kherson.

"Mixing" of a Missile And a Guided Aerial Bomb Makes It Possible to Strike As Far As 150km With HIMARS | Defense Express (defence-ua.com)

I have no idea what to make of this article but maybe some of you will make sense of it.

"Mixing" of a Missile And a Guided Aerial Bomb Makes It Possible to Strike As Far As 150km With HIMARS

November 10, 2022

This way of hitting the rear russia’s occupying forces looks promising, but it currently exists only in advertising renders

The Polish Defence24 claims that the consortium consisting of Boeing and Saab "in the near future" hopes to receive an order for a GLSDB-type rocket designed to fire from the M142 HIMARS and M270 systems.

The article does not indicate what kind of customer it should be. But the very concept of the GLSDB ammunition is interesting here, which is basically a "hybrid" of the M26 unguided rocket and the GBU-38 SDB-I guided aerial bomb.

For the first time, the consortium consisting of Boeing and Saab presented its development under the index GLSDB in 2017. By design, this system should work like this; the M26 projectile launches the GBU-38 SDB-I aerial bomb to a certain height, which continues its flight and hits the target on a gentle trajectory.

The targeting of the aerial bomb during the final stage of the flight should be laser-guided. The developers claim that such a system is apparently capable of hitting targets at a distance of up to 150km. Which is significantly higher than the indicator of 84km from GMLRS.

The unguided M26 projectile was chosen as the basis for the GLSDB because European countries have a high number of such missiles in stock, which were written off during the rejection from cluster weapons after the adoption of the "Oslo Convention" in 2008.

Or, it is quite possible that for all 5 years the GLSDB system has proved to be extremely impractical in real use. But the very vector of works on the topic of "how to compile a rocket and a guided aerial bomb" in order to increase the depth distance of damage to the enemy's rear looks quite promising.

25 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Is Ukraine in a great rush to occupy Kherson in the normal way? The Russians do not seem likely to want to come back from the left bank any time soon and it would be difficult for them to do so anyway.

Surely the task would be for the Ukraine to gradually sort out Kherson and that part of Kherson Oblast which is on the right bank of the Dnipro. Meanwhile there's a bunch of Russians in Crimea and on the left bank of the Dnipro with , really, only one land route out of there - to the east. There's an opportunity to aim for the Sea of Azov via Melitopol and Berdyansk and cut off those Crimean and left bank of Dnipro Russians. The natural barrier of the Dnipro and the lake behind Khakhova provides a natural line for defence both ways but this favours Ukraine more than the Russians.

Defences at Mariupol and other locations in the south seem to be being beefed up at present so they're expecting some trouble from "up north"!

Edited by Dev

I'm not sure they will. If they are close enough to get into Kherson they are close enough to cut off the garrison. So long as they are patient there is no need to flatten Kherson.
Who said anything about flattening Kherson?

I'm talking about being patient in taking back Kherson because of the booby traps that will almost certainly have been left.

Even if Kherson is deserted it will take time to advance and neutralise devices.

Is Ukraine in a great rush to occupy Kherson in the normal way? The Russians do not seem likely to want to come back from the left bank any time soon and it would be difficult for them to do so anyway.
Surely the task would be for the Ukraine to gradually sort out Kherson and that part of Kherson Oblast which is on the right bank of the Dnipro. Meanwhile there's a bunch of Russians in Crimea and on the left bank of the Dnipro with , really, only one land route out of there - to the east. There's an opportunity to aim for the Sea of Azov via Melitopol and Berdyansk and cut off those Crimean and left bank of Dnipro Russians. The natural barrier of the Dnipro and the lake behind Khakhova provides a natural line for defence both ways but this favours Ukraine more than the Russians.
Defences at Mariupol and other locations in the south seem to be being beefed up at present so they're expecting some trouble from "up north"!
I don't think that what I've said contradicts that.

25 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Who said anything about flattening Kherson?

I'm talking about being patient in taking back Kherson because of the booby traps that will almost certainly have been left.

Even if Kherson is deserted it will take time to advance and neutralise devices.

Apologies, I took "clear" to mean "fight for"