Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

This guy's takes are maybe more thought provoking than anything else because he is prone to hyperbole and telling an American audience what they want to hear to keep them coming back but always an interesting listen:

The stuff at the beginning about Russia's transport infrastructure put me off, it's nearly twice the size of the US, much of it meagrely populated, but getting around without a car is almost always easier. The thing that amazes me about Russia is how well developed it is while relying almost entirely on raw materials for income, despite having a big population. The only countries I can think of who do well at that have small populations and import labour at close to slavery terms.

Edited by welshbairn

I just watched the UN live debate as you do with a cargo. Cleverly was the Brit talking head who kind of said nowt except calling out the Ruskies for going to the bar during his live speech. Diddy guy from Belarus was all over the place, German was a Wid and the guy from Lithuania representing the Baltic States called Putin a c**t in his dialect. The young Ukrainian guy looked like he was taking on anyone in a student full of cheap bevy. kind of way. I feel a lot safer now.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The stuff at the beginning about Russia's transport infrastructure put me off, it's nearly twice the size of the US, much of it meagrely populated, but getting around without a car is almost always easier. The thing that amazes me about Russia is how well developed it is while relying almost entirely on raw materials for income.

It’s interesting that Putin’s folly here might, just might, result in a stronger Russia (or whatever replaces it) due to some much needed development of materials production capacities caused by the embargo’s. In the longer term, the development of even rudimentary internal manufacturing and development capacity in the various advanced fields that Russia has previous simply imported good for is not a bad thing, but the timeline is quite long, so Putin will see no results of this.

The disintegration of the USSR was inevitable as the power devolved somewhat, and despite Putin’s best efforts, another period of devolution of power seems likely within Russia. Since Russia is actually the “Russian Federation”, comprising 85 “republics”, which encompass 190 ethnicities, and of which 22 “republics” are actually named for ethnicities. Several of these republics declared independence during the first breakup and were only lured back by Yeltsin’s negotiation skills. A large number of these areas have stronger links to surrounding counties than to the core of Slavic Russia.

Leading candidates: Kalingrad, Tatarstan, Tuva, Khakassia, Chechnya, Dagestan, Ingushetia, Kabardino-Balkaria, Karelia, Siberia and the Urals. Several of these would be better candidates together, and have been allied in the past.

There have been significant protests in Dagestan, men blocked a highway in protest at the draft.

There has even been protests in Chechnya, where some soldiers mothers staged a rally. Kadyrov suggested the womens husbands should be drafted as punishment.

These are the first protests within Chechnya during Kadyrov’s reign.

4 minutes ago, TxRover said:

It’s interesting that Putin’s folly here might, just might, result in a stronger Russia (or whatever replaces it) due to some much needed development of materials production capacities caused by the embargo’s. In the longer term, the development of even rudimentary internal manufacturing and development capacity in the various advanced fields that Russia has previous simply imported good for is not a bad thing, but the timeline is quite long, so Putin will see no results of this.

The disintegration of the USSR was inevitable as the power devolved somewhat, and despite Putin’s best efforts, another period of devolution of power seems likely within Russia. Since Russia is actually the “Russian Federation”, comprising 85 “republics”, which encompass 190 ethnicities, and of which 22 “republics” are actually named for ethnicities. Several of these republics declared independence during the first breakup and were only lured back by Yeltsin’s negotiation skills. A large number of these areas have stronger links to surrounding counties than to the core of Slavic Russia.

Leading candidates: Kalingrad, Tatarstan, Tuva, Khakassia, Chechnya, Dagestan, Ingushetia, Kabardino-Balkaria, Karelia, Siberia and the Urals. Several of these would be better candidates together, and have been allied in the past.

That post is worthy of a Kremlin TV mention! The West looted Russia after the Berlin Wall, demanding instant sell offs of State assets to whoever ASAP and created the kleptocracy and paranoid state that followed. The West totally fucked it up when we had a great opportunity to make things work but were too greedy for a total collapse and whatever scraps the consultants we sent out could get out of it. And it sounds like you want to do it again, anticipating another great victory!

On 21/09/2022 at 17:08, Detournement said:

9-old-white-men.thumb.jpg.da34f44ee9b8fabae0b0aa187664048e.jpg

^^^ British media raging at Putin saying he will consider using nukes ^^^^

The same British media that went after Corbyn for saying he probably wouldn't and that cheered when Lizz Truss said she would use them? That British media?

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

That post is worthy of a Kremlin TV mention! The West looted Russia after the Berlin Wall, demanding instant sell offs of State assets to whoever ASAP and created the kleptocracy and paranoid state that followed. The West totally fucked it up when we had a great opportunity to make things work but were too greedy for a total collapse and whatever scraps the consultants we sent out could get out of it. And it sounds like you want to do it again, anticipating another great victory!

Unsure why you think it’s propaganda that Putin’s fuckup might result in a somewhat more effective county(ies) in a couple of decades. It’s potentially actually promising, if, as you note, they can keep it. Would fool me once apply?

24 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Unsure why you think it’s propaganda that Putin’s fuckup might result in a somewhat more effective county(ies) in a couple of decades. It’s potentially actually promising, if, as you note, they can keep it. Would fool me once apply?

I was meaning that your prediction/desire for the even further break up of Russia is exactly what the Russian TV propogandists would pounce on to show the real NATO intentions for supporting Ukraine. You could certainly get George Galloway's old spot on Sputnik or RT if they're broadcasting somewhere.