Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

Definitely famous last words probably influenced by having been to Russia a few times and very much enjoying the experience, but once it kicked off I knew the Russians weren't going to win in three days despite what was being said on the TV news:

On 24/02/2022 at 09:24, LongTimeLurker said:

Mariupol and Kramatorsk still being very much under Ukrainian control is a sign it isn't even a full scale invasion of the Donbas yet. Long way to go on this, but I think it's safe to say that it's a good thing that the Scotland vs Ukraine game is at Hampden.

six months on and the Ukrainians still hold Kramatorsk.

Given the CIA's record, it's no surprise that some posters were dubious about a full scale invasion. Full credit to the spooks though for getting one 50/50 right, makes up for those non existant WMD's I guess.

I mean, these are the guys that are currently claiming Cuban ray guns are giving them sore tummies.

4 hours ago, renton said:

It's a signal intelligence aircraft. It'll have been sitting out there gathering radar signals, radio etc. Won't be doing photo gathering. That used to be high altitude or very fast aircraft but largely obsolete in the age of satellite imagery.

The airframe is old, the equipment on board is fairly cutting edge.

Yet, Rivet Joint has a nice ability to triangulate signals locations based upon its orbit length. So they’re just sitting out there cataloguing the radar locations, HQ’s, etc…hell, probably even cell phones of interest as identified by other “technical means”. It’s the basic reason that a HQ unit doesn’t locate its antennas close by…if they’re smart.

It's certainly potentially doable but something a mother would have her 12 year old daughter tag along for? Shows how motivated the Ukrainians are right now if the answer is yes. Think there might be something to this as an explanation:
Suspect it could easily be a few years before we find out for sure what really happened.
9 and half hours I'm struggling to buy - but with 12 year old - no fucking way.

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

My main feeling about Dugin is that I doubt Putin has spoken to a man with shoulder length hair or longer at any point in the 21st century. 

Even Seagal ditched the ponytail when he started hanging out in Moscow. 

I bet Patriarch Krill looks like a right hippy with his hat off.