Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Reports overnight say that the Antonovsky Bridge in Kherson has been hit again with artillery, likely HIMARS and is now closed, damaged beyond immediate repair.

The bridge crosses the Dnipier River and is a vital supply route for Russian forces in Kherson city.

No visual confirmation yet but Reports from both Ukrainian and Russian sources.

3 hours ago, Flash said:

Quite similar to the roads in this country.

There was a narrow road with passing places over a high peat bog at the northern end of Yell in Shetland that did come to mind on that where the scale of the potholes was concerned but it was closed to traffic decades ago.

Apparently the rail bridge to Kherson also got zapped last night and wasn't being used prior to that anyway so a city twice the size of Dundee and its surrounding countryside now needs to be supplied over an already well-perforated two lane bridge over the Inhulets river via another bridge over a hydro dam on the Dniepr 100 km away that has already also been damaged.

The Ukrainians are clearly trying to engineer another "goodwill gesture" from the Russian side to avoid street-by-street fighting, which is the sensible way to go if you actually value your soldiers' lives. Vlad clearly doesn't though and will lose a lot of face plus any chance at ever getting anywhere near taking Odessa if they withdraw so suspect the Russians won't leave that easily.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

As the Russian invasion of Ukraine enters into its fifth month, a common narrative has emerged that the unity of the world in standing up to Russia has somehow devolved into a “war of economic attrition which is taking its toll on the west”, given the supposed “resilience” and even “prosperity” of the Russian economy. This is simply untrue – and a reflection of widely held but factually incorrect misunderstandings over how the Russian economy is actually holding up amidst the exodus of over 1,000 global companies and international sanctions.

That these misunderstandings persist is not surprising. Since the invasion, the Kremlin’s economic releases have become increasingly cherry-picked, selectively tossing out unfavorable metrics while releasing only those that are more favorable. These Putin-selected statistics are then carelessly trumpeted across media and used by reams of well-meaning but careless experts in building out forecasts which are excessively, unrealistically favorable to the Kremlin.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4167193

12 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Nasty video going round which I'm not going to watch of a Ukrainian POW, hands tied behind his back being castrated by Russian soldiers. 

The perpetrator has been identified. I don’t imagine he’s going to meet a very nice ending, himself. 

6 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Yep - I'm sure that a Yale paper authored by

Franek Sokolowski

Michal Wyrebkowski

and

Mateusz Kasprowicz

represent a completely disinterested scholarly analysis on current affairs in eastern Europe!

Looking ahead, there is no path out of economic oblivion for Russia as long as the allied countries remain unified in maintaining and increasing sanctions pressure against Russia, and The Kyiv School of Economics and McFaul-Yermak Working Group have led the way in proposing additional sanctions measures.

Uh huh. The current sanctions are working so well that we need to add more to see the impact! 

Edited by vikingTON

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Who's going to do him harm?

I’m not sure if anyone will do him harm, but if they catch him then I don’t imagine he will be dealt with pleasantly. However I would think that once a soldier’s full name, DOB, address, phone number and army details are posted online for anyone to see, then it becomes much easier for Ukrainian intelligence services/hackers/partisans to locate him 

4 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

I’m not sure if anyone will do him harm, but if they catch him then I don’t imagine he will be dealt with pleasantly. However I would think that once a soldier’s full name, DOB, address, phone number and army details are posted online for anyone to see, then it becomes much easier for Ukrainian intelligence services/hackers/partisans to locate him 

I was assuming he was home in Mother Russia by now with some loot for the missus, swigging vodka supplied by a grateful nation.

18 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I don’t think Brits are in a position to point and laugh.

"No cancel culture" I imagine you are worse than cancelled if you voice a critical opinion of the President.

On 29/07/2022 at 07:25, Newbornbairn said:

Nasty video going round which I'm not going to watch of a Ukrainian POW, hands tied behind his back being castrated by Russian soldiers. 

Fucking animals.im sure if Russia do release&arm civvy prisoners the war crimes situation will improve,though.....