Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

About the reports of liberated villages/cities Ukraine does seem to have loads and loads of places with the same name.

Kamenica (Stoney place) and Novo Selo (New Village) cropped up a lot during the Yugoslav wars in a similar sort of way. Slavic languages seem to be more limited on placename variety sometimes.

Think a Ukrainian minister may have talked too much to the press about going after Belgorod from Kharkiv with the MLRS that were about to be supplied and that's why Biden felt the need to dial things back for a bit.

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Kamenica (Stoney place) and Novo Selo (New Village) cropped up a lot during the Yugoslav wars in a similar sort of way. Slavic languages seem to be more limited on placename variety sometimes.

Think a Ukrainian minister may have talked too much to the press about going after Belgorod from Kharkiv with the MLRS that were about to be supplied and that's why Biden felt the need to dial things back for a bit.

We're fairly guilty of it here....we've got two Dalrys, two Newburghs and loads of Tarbets :)

More reports that Russian troops have basically captured Severodonetsk, with Ukrainians withdrawing.  Seems like the Russians haven't tried to cut off the Ukrainians and are attacking to take the city.  Could be that the envelopment hasn't happened because the advance from Popansa hasn't continued at the same rate, if at all, in the last few days.

Ukrainian troops have apparently advanced around 10km around Kherson, with Russian troops withdrawing.  There's some discussion that this is part of a move to attack Kherson but it's unclear if Ukraine have the troops for an assault on a city at the moment.  The same goes for Russia defending it though.  

The EU has reportedly agreed a new sanctions package that will reduce EU importation of Russian oil significantly in the next six months.  Exceptions remain for pipeline oil but if the measures are followed through (large if) the reduction in Russian oil exports to the EU will be around 90% by the end of the year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-30/eu-leaders-back-push-to-ban-some-russian-oil-over-putin-s-war?srnd=premium-europe

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

The oil companies are taking the fucking piss more than anyone. Prices rising significantly again despite them making record profits?! f**k off and take a hit you fucking c***s.

Take a hit for the benefit of whom, exactly? Oil is a global commodity and its price (in a capitalist economy) is set by supply and demand. 

If prices need to be reduced then there are states sitting in strategic reserves, while OPEC crank supplies up and down habitually. 

40 minutes ago, virginton said:

Take a hit for the benefit of whom, exactly? Oil is a global commodity and its price (in a capitalist economy) is set by supply and demand. 

If prices need to be reduced then there are states sitting in strategic reserves, while OPEC crank supplies up and down habitually. 

Fully aware however sometimes it's really frustrating. The greed of the the oil companies is a detriment for us all. 

55 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Fully aware however sometimes it's really frustrating. The greed of the the oil companies is a detriment for us all. 

TBF, it's their job to ruthlessly make as much money as humanly possible, no matter the cost.

We're supposed to have governments that put constraints on them, but that's deeply unfashionable now.

Edit: probably because they've spent so much of that money making sure governments won't put proper constraints on them.

Edited by BFTD

5 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The EU has reportedly agreed a new sanctions package that will reduce EU importation of Russian oil significantly in the next six months.  Exceptions remain for pipeline oil but if the measures are followed through (large if) the reduction in Russian oil exports to the EU will be around 90% by the end of the year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-30/eu-leaders-back-push-to-ban-some-russian-oil-over-putin-s-war?srnd=premium-europe

Not gas though which is a far bigger source of income.

Edited by strichener

Kind of related, Denmark is voting today on whether to opt-in to EU defence and security policies.  They tend to vote No on EU things but wouldn't be surprised if this passes.

Looks like the ruskies are finally being properly reported. I always thought the left wing media bias was a lode of it. 2 buckets full in fact. Looks like I was right to suspect the left's narrative was just that.  

40 minutes ago, WTF said:

Looks like the ruskies are finally being properly reported. I always thought the left wing media bias was a lode of it. 2 buckets full in fact. Looks like I was right to suspect the left's narrative was just that.  

Who's left and who's right in this? Do I need to consult my Idiots' Guide to the Culture Wars?

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, WTF said:

Yes

A quick look tells me that the Russians are calling the Ukrainians "Nazis" and "Fascists", and the Daily Telegraph is backing Ukraine, so I guess good decent right wingers should be anti-Russia.

26 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

A quick look tells me that the Russians are calling the Ukrainians "Nazis" and "Fascists", and the Daily Telegraph is backing Ukraine, so I guess good decent right wingers should be anti-Russia.

So you think right wingers are decent? Well Jimmy Johnstone was. But don't you mean Tory scum?