Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

On 01/05/2022 at 19:55, Day of the Lords said:
On 01/05/2022 at 19:34, Kenneth840 said:

No it isn't, you moonhowling, genital-inspecting clown.

This is without doubt the most accurate and best insult, I’ve ever read on this fine forum. 

Also, the Putin cancer rumours have been around for a while. Apparently the invasion was to be his Lenin/Stalin legacy defining monent.  

Edited by MONKMAN

CNN reporting Putin might declare war as soon as 9th May.

I'm sure Ukraine will be shitting it as everything so far really has been a great laugh. Will be interesting to see if sending everyone Russia can helps public perception or turns the tide and folk get pissed off having to go to funerals for everyone they know.

This account is a must follow - 

Interesting translation of the words of a hardcore Russian nationalist, who previously commanded pro-Russian separatist forces in Crimea, where you can see how desperate he views the situation. Also highly critical of Putin and he's basically saying Russia must commit to war and mobilisation now or the entire RF will collapse. He also argues for the complete annexation of Ukraine as the final war goal.

It's interesting to read what Girkin is saying - he has previously written that the war isn't going well in the Donbas and that the sepratist troops are effectively being sacrificed by Russian commanders, claiming that they are being used in 'human wave' attacks against fortified Ukrainian positions.

He's a nutcase though, he opposes Putin from the far right.  I doubt he is particularly influential or well supported but it does indicate one problem that could come for Putin.  If the fabled off-ramp comes and Russia withdraw claiming some sort of victory, guys like Girkin and other nationalists and far-right figures will oppose it as not having been worth the sacrifice and not being enough.  Groups like this are far more likely to gain traction in Russian society and politics than other opposition forces and could pose a threat to Putin.

9 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

He’s Chomsky’d it.

Think the Khmer Rouge were "successful agrarian reformers" at one point shortly after Year Zero according to Noam. Like that other fossil from the Vietnam era Pilger, he's a one trick pony intellectually because all he basically ever does is point out the double standards of the West. That's a useful counter-balance most of the time but when the side the West is opposed to genuinely does turn out to be up to no good and is clearly very much the party in the wrong he's lost at sea because his usual routine no longer works.

4 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

Typical Celtic fan. Always the victim.

20 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think the Khmer Rouge were "successful agrarian reformers" at one point shortly after Year Zero according to Noam. Like that other fossil from the Vietnam era Pilger, he's a one trick pony intellectually because all he basically ever does is point out the double standards of the West. That's a useful counter-balance most of the time but when the side the West is opposed to genuinely does turn out to be up to no good and is clearly very much the party in the wrong he's lost at sea because his usual routine no longer works.

I had a quick look at that Youtube video, bearing in mind that Chomsky's previous expressed views are along the lines of Trump being only a few  steps up from pondlife.   If Chomsky really did make the 'statesman' comment about Trump, I would have expected more than a few dissenting utterances in the comments. Instead, in an admittedly short peruse , I could see none.  Rather begs the question as to whether Chomsky did say it, and/or, the exact context within the video. 

The video is, however, 57 minutes long, and I just couldn't be a*sed to trawl all the way through to find out.

Who is @Glenn Greenwald when he's at home, anyway ?

Edited by beefybake

5 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Libertarian rightwinger who pretended to be on the left for a while. Loves the Donald.

Edited by welshbairn

I think Chomsky is saying that by arming Ukraine to the teeth it will cause more suffering and prolong the war, so he now thinks Trumps appeasement solution of letting Ukraine get razed to the ground and incorporated into greater Russia is preferable than calling out his pal Putin's bullying ways. Americas are so wrapped up in their own wee world they can't see that if this doesn't get nipped in the bud now it will lead to a major war throughout the whole of Europe.

Russia clearly doesn't have the capacity to go to war in the "whole of Europe" or even western Ukraine. 

The US goal is to turn Ukraine into a European Afghanistan. They have openly admitted that and that's why Truss has been saying the war will last a decade. Horrific news for Ukranians but great for people who like putting flags in their Twitter and Facebook profiles. 

Russia clearly doesn't have the capacity to go to war in the "whole of Europe" or even western Ukraine. 
The US goal is to turn Ukraine into a European Afghanistan. They have openly admitted that and that's why Truss has been saying the war will last a decade. Horrific news for Ukranians but great for people who like putting flags in their Twitter and Facebook profiles. 
Where does the international community draw the line though?
Moldova is next on the hit list.

41 minutes ago, beefybake said:

I had a quick look at that Youtube video, bearing in mind that Chomsky's previous expressed views are along the lines of Trump being only a few  steps up from pondlife.   If Chomsky really did make the 'statesman' comment about Trump, I would have expected more than a few dissenting utterances in the comments. Instead, in an admittedly short peruse , I could see none.  Rather begs the question as to whether Chomsky did say it, and/or, the exact context within the video. 

The video is, however, 57 minutes long, and I just couldn't be a*sed to trawl all the way through to find out.

There is feature which gives you a transcript of most YouTube videos and then you can word search for whatever term you are interested in. 

11 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Where does the international community draw the line though?
Moldova is next on the hit list.

It looks more like Ukraine is going to invade Transnistria to attack the Russian forces there (which is obviously fair enough in a war). Then possibly Romanian forces are going to reinforce the Moldovan military to stop anything else kicking off.

The line was drawn in Minsk in 2016 and Ukraine and their backers decided to ignore it. There is no off ramp now. Ukraine will continue to fight until they run out of military age men then private military contractors will take over. 

Edited by Detournement