Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

Justifying Vladimir Putin’s call to “denazify” Ukraine, Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov argued that Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky’s Jewish ancestry did not matter.

“So what if Zelensky is Jewish? The fact does not negate the Nazi elements in Ukraine. I believe that Hitler also had Jewish blood,”  https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/zelensky-jewish-hitler-lavrov-russia-b2069625.html

Now has he learned from Trump that spouting the most outrageous bullshit leads to control of the media narrative, or did Trump learn from the Russians?

31 minutes ago, 101 said:

Isn't the point of nukes to act as a deterrent? They seem to be acting as a target just now 

They are probably the reason nobody is thinking about invading Russia itself. 

However Russians outside of Russia are considered fair game.  Same as when they were in Afghanistan or when Americans were in Vietnam or Korea.

Is there a reason that Russia's nuclear rhetoric is repeatedly being aimed at the UK as opposed to say Germany, France or the US? Maybe I've just not came across them, but their state media seems quite focused on taking us out.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Is there a reason that Russia's nuclear rhetoric is repeatedly being aimed at the UK as opposed to say Germany, France or the US? Maybe I've just not came across them, but their state media seems quite focused on taking us out.

The UK hardly buys any of their oil and gas so they won't have to try and make up when this mess is over.

8 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Now has he learned from Trump that spouting the most outrageous bullshit leads to control of the media narrative, or did Trump learn from the Russians?

They both picked it up from Mussolini, did they not?

Yeah far too far away for a rocket or air attack. It could be sabotage which would be fairly terrifying from a Russian perspective. It could also just be general accidents, which obviously happen. These factories will be working at a breakneck pace to keep up with demand, this will probably make accidents more likely. It could also be that sanctions are starting to impact import of machine parts for repairs and maintenance.

Anyway, I saw someone mention this guy on Twitter, he may have made some appearances on this thread. Solid, solid analyst. Very accurate.

Very accuracy. Much reputation.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

That's an awful long way from Ukraine, just this side of the Urals. If it was a Ukrainian rocket they could be bombing the Kremlin.

Think it's safe to assume it isn't a rocket. The power plant on Sakhalin going on fire recently was even more mind boggling in distance from Ukraine terms and those two happening in quick succession after the solvent factory in Moscow and research institute in Tver points quite strongly to a pattern of widespread active sobotage. Unless the Russians are simply spectacularly inept at the moment (Valery Gerasimov allegedly meeting dozens of senior staff officers within Ukrainian artillery range makes that difficult to entirely discount) cyber attacks are probably the most credible way that could be coordinated without any high profile arrests of saboteurs happening inside Russia. 

29 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think it's safe to assume it isn't a rocket. The power plant on Sakhalin going on fire recently was even more mind boggling in distance from Ukraine terms and those two happening in quick succession after the solvent factory in Moscow and research institute in Tver points quite strongly to a pattern of widespread active sobotage. Unless the Russians are simply spectacularly inept at the moment (Valery Gerasimov allegedly meeting dozens of senior staff officers within Ukrainian artillery range makes that difficult to entirely discount) cyber attacks are probably the most credible way that could be coordinated without any high profile arrests of saboteurs happening inside Russia. 

I've worked in Sahkalin if a rocket from Ukraine destroyed something there  then they have secret weapons imo

Saw this article in the Irish press about the calls for Ireland to increase defence spending and invest in their armed forces

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/irish-defence-forces-not-fit-for-purpose-say-finnish-officials-1.4867585

I guess a similar conversation would happen here in the event of Scotland becoming independent. The SNP changed their position on NATO pre referendum very explicitly to make them appear more credible on defence. I think Salmond said in the debate that was the reason for the change, rather than any developments in thinking of policy or deep support of NATO. Since then the SNP top brass have been a lot less radical and separate on foreign and defence policy.  There have been ‘delegations’ of SNP MPs visit Kyiv and offer support pre War etc and the First Minster even expressed support for a no fly zone. In general though defence policy isn’t much of an issue in Scottish elections. I wonder if the Ukraine war will change that.