Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

Hieroglyphics, let me be Pacific, I wanna be down in your South Seas
But I got this notion that the motion of your ocean
Means small craft advisory
So if I capsize in your thighs, high tide, B-5, you sunk my battleship

17 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Anyone know if that "eff off" stamp is available in the UK? Must confess that I fancy getting some. 

Hi SnV, I am on the board of a refugee charity in Ireland and we were thinking of selling some of these to raise funds. Won't have them with us until May, but happy to drop you a line when we have them! 

If other people are interested, maybe I can set up a separate thread. 

3 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

Hi SnV, I am on the board of a refugee charity in Ireland and we were thinking of selling some of these to raise funds. Won't have them with us until May, but happy to drop you a line when we have them! 

If other people are interested, maybe I can set up a separate thread. 

Aye, I'd be interested in that. The ones on Ebay seem to be from the USA.  

Long article on BBC Russian about the impact of the war in the Russian language in Ukraine and on specific Russian speakers.

https://www.bbc.com/russian/features-61081654

Basically, the Russian interventions in 2014 effectively killed the Russian language in Ukraine in the medium to long term, the aggressive invasion of 2022 will probably speed up this process.

20 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Long article on BBC Russian about the impact of the war in the Russian language in Ukraine and on specific Russian speakers.

https://www.bbc.com/russian/features-61081654

Basically, the Russian interventions in 2014 effectively killed the Russian language in Ukraine in the medium to long term, the aggressive invasion of 2022 will probably speed up this process.

I saw something recently about how thanks to the last six weeks or so, many Russian speakers in the surrounding countries are now actively eschewing the language in everyday life and using the local alternative...whether that's down to the understandable stigma of using it at the moment or a conscious decision to not give Putin a pretext to use the Hitler playbook and make a move on the place to "protect" the Russophone minority is open to debate. Either way, the language seems at least in the short term to be on the way out in the Stans, the Baltics and so on.