Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

Viktor Medvedchuk, a key pro-Russian politician in Ukraine who was named by Western intelligence as a potential puppet leader to be installed by Russia if they’d taken Kyiv early in the war, has been arrested. He was under house arrest for terrorism and treason and escaped on the third or fourth day of the war.

He is a personal friend of Putin, who is godfather to at least one of Medvedchuk’s children.

Edited by ICTChris

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Viktor Medvedchuk, a key pro-Russian politician in Ukraine who was named by Western intelligence as a potential puppet leader to be installed by Russia if they’d taken Kyiv early in the war, has been arrested. He was under house arrest for terrorism and treason and escaped on the third or fourth day of the war.

He is a personal friend of Putin, who is godfather to at least one of Medvedchuk’s children.

Shoot the c**t and send his liver to Putin in a Greggs bag.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Unlike the characters.. :hatty

I should probably give it another go in case it's ever the book of the week at the OFTW club.

10 hours ago, velo army said:

So in this case the story is "Russia is becoming a big bad Nazi place like Germany in the 30's" and through that prism a young lad doing an italian fascist/roman salute while under an Italian flag becomes "look at that evil wee Nazi".  

That’s fair enough, as the Italian fascists had nothing to do with the Germans in the 30’s…

Makes you proud to be British. :barf

Leading refugee charities raised their concerns about the Homes for Ukraine scheme in a letter to Michael Gove, the minister in charge of the scheme. Louise Calvey, the head of safeguarding at the charity Refugee Action, told the Observer it was at risk of being a “Tinder for sex traffickers”.

One 32-year-old woman from Bakhmut, Ukraine, who has been searching for an appropriate person to match in the UK, wrote that she had received suggestive messages from men on Facebook’s Messenger app. “I was approached by one older guy from London who said that I would have to share a bedroom with him, and was asked if I was OK with that,” she said in an email seen by the Guardian.

The Sunday Times reported this week that a journalist posing as a 22-year-old Ukrainian woman from Kyiv found that within minutes of posting a message on the largest Facebook group for UK hosts she was inundated with inappropriate messages.

Some men lied about having several bedrooms in their one-bed homes while another proposed sharing a bed, writing: “I have a large bed. We could sleep together.” Another sent a voice note that said: “I am ready to help you and maybe you can help me also.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/13/stop-matching-lone-female-ukraine-refugees-with-single-men-uk-told

On 11/04/2022 at 21:54, welshbairn said:

Whatever people think about the Azov battalion it's pretty incredible there's any of them left, ...

They had 8 years to fortify the place. What was odd about how the invasion started is that the Ukrainians didn't do a better job with the Crimean border because getting attacked from the west as well as the east was what ultimately made control of a supply line to Mariupol untenable.

What are the predictions for the upcoming months? There seems to be a few folk that know a bit about this warfare business on here. I seen Zelensky has been asking for more arms from the west and now the Russians have regrouped in eastern Ukraine and supposedly resupplying for a further assault.. Will it become a bloody stalemate? If they get enough arms I believe Ukraine will hold off Russia but Putin must be thinking anything other than a victory of sorts he will be toast. The west will be happy to supply and weaken the Russian forces without any of their own populations blood on there hands. Will there be any sort of marine assault? Will chemical weapons be used? Will the refugees start returning to try rebuild if the Ukraine forces can fight off the Russians in the Donbas?

20 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Medvedev playing the tough guy doesn't suit him.

Zelenskiy proposed swapping Medvedchuk, while Ukraine's SBU domestic security service cast him as a traitor whose future would be in shackles. 

"Those freaks who call themselves the Ukrainian authorities say that they want to beat testimony out of Viktor Medvedchuk, 'quickly and fairly', convict him, and then exchange him for prisoners," Dmitry Medvedev, deputy chairman of Russia's Security Council, said.

"These people should watch out and lock the doors well at night to make sure they do not become the people who are going to be exchanged themselves," said Medvedev, a close Putin ally who served as Russian president from 2008 to 2012.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-tells-ukraine-watch-out-after-it-captures-pro-kremlin-politician-2022-04-13/

18 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

What are the predictions for the upcoming months? There seems to be a few folk that know a bit about this warfare business on here. I seen Zelensky has been asking for more arms from the west and now the Russians have regrouped in eastern Ukraine and supposedly resupplying for a further assault.. Will it become a bloody stalemate? If they get enough arms I believe Ukraine will hold off Russia but Putin must be thinking anything other than a victory of sorts he will be toast. The west will be happy to supply and weaken the Russian forces without any of their own populations blood on there hands. Will there be any sort of marine assault? Will chemical weapons be used? Will the refugees start returning to try rebuild if the Ukraine forces can fight off the Russians in the Donbas?

Finland and Sweden both potentially applying to join NATO might also come into play if the Russian threats to "rebalance the situation" were to come into effect.

Hard to see how the Russian 'convential' military could cope fighting on potentially three fronts, given the clusterfuck they created for themselves trying to obliterate one country.

21 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

shakhtar donetsk, getting a few frindl8ies 

More reports of Ukrainian Marines surrendering in Mariupol. At the same time there are also reports that some Marines broke through Russian lines and linked up with the Azov fighters still active in the city. 

Joe Biden confirms the US will supply Ukraine with artillery systems and ammunition, armoured personnel carriers and helicopters.

In addition, there are reports a Russian navy cruiser has been hit by an anti-ship missile in the Black Sea. Could be one of the batch that the UK pledged during Johnson’s visit.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Joe Biden confirms the US will supply Ukraine with artillery systems and ammunition, armoured personnel carriers and helicopters.

In addition, there are reports a Russian navy cruiser has been hit by an anti-ship missile in the Black Sea. Could be one of the batch that the UK pledged during Johnson’s visit.

We're surely not giving them harpoons,  that's just taking the P.