Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The Russian State Duma recognises DNR and LNR and Russian Army drops the pretence of not being stationed there is about as far as this is likely to go unless Kiev completely loses the plot. What destabilised the situation was that Ukraine has been strengthening economically and militarily in recent years and now cooperates closely with Turkey on military drones so could now credibly attempt to do to the DNR and LNR what Azerbaijan just did to Nagorno-Karabakh.

The western media often portrays Vladimir Putin as some kind of strategic genuis but after he invaded and annexed Crimea he managed to move from having a Ukraine that was wary of NATO and often tended to tilt east at the ballot box towards one that now has a solidly pro-western electorate. Without the invasion by the little green men there's a fair to middling chance Ukraine would have eventually elected another Viktor Yanukovych type candidate like they did in the second set of elections after the Orange Revolution.

Right. You're in charge, let us know how it goes.

36 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I don't think young men around you're age should go far. There might be a letter from Her Majesty on its way soon.

You wouldn't last 5 minutes of course.

Her majesty can ram any letter up her arse.

And I'll have you know I was in the top 100 in Call of Duty 4 and Call of Duty 4 Remastered Search and Destroy game mode; Russians wouldn't know what hit them. 

Just now, SweeperDee said:

Her majesty can ram any letter up her arse.

And I'll have you know I was in the top 100 in Call of Duty 4 and Call of Duty 4 Remastered Search and Destroy game mode; Russians wouldn't know what hit them. 

The vacuum created by your generation running away will suck them to their fate!

17 minutes ago, Mr Waldo said:

In Linked news, Belarus President has changed the constitution to remove Belarus neutrality, seek military integration and allow Russian nuclear weapons into Belarus.

I wonder if this the first step to 'rejoin' Russia.

The first step was a so called Union State formed 25 years ago after Lukashenko took power. He initially was popular because he was one of the few politicians in Belarus who actively opposed the dissolution of the USSR. Since then the Belarus elite seem happy enough to have their own state to lord it over rather than turning into a Russian oblast.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The vacuum created by your generation running away will suck them to their fate!

Ach I don't know; an army of geriatrics might scare the Russians away with all the shite running down their legs. 

5 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

There will be no shooting. Both sides just sitting on their phones writing snippy reviews of each others’ military capabilities then crying about in on Snapchat.

Edited by Shandon Par

1 hour ago, Mr Waldo said:

In Linked news, Belarus President has changed the constitution to remove Belarus neutrality, seek military integration and allow Russian nuclear weapons into Belarus.

I wonder if this the first step to 'rejoin' Russia.

Wouldn't be surprised by this at all. All attention on Ukraine and the prospect of full on war makes it less shocking when they annex Belarus due to pro Russian government.  

8 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Wouldn't be surprised by this at all. All attention on Ukraine and the prospect of full on war makes it less shocking when they annex Belarus due to pro Russian government.  

They’ve essentially already annexed Belarus.