Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

5 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/07/ukrainian-refugees-britain-hostile-environment-europe?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

"One and a half million desperate Ukrainian refugees. Fifty British visas. It beggars belief.
In time of war we should keep emotional responses in proportion, but sometimes the hypocrisy is intolerable. Boris Johnson is frantically – and blatantly – traipsing his Churchill act through the capitals of Europe. He hurls abuse at Vladimir Putin and promises Ukraine guns and missiles, aid and sanctions, persecution of oligarchs, anything short of soldiers. But when asked to do the one concrete thing that might directly relieve that country’s agony, he reverts to type. For god’s sake keep these Ukrainians away from our shores. Remember the ark of the Brexit covenant."

The mass outpouring of support and solidarity with those poor people, and the terrible things they are going through, inexcusable in this day in age, almost unimaginable. The hopes of our entire country that they manage to seek relative safety and warmth whilst they get through the most harrowing moments of their lives. Maybe even having to rebuild from less than scratch. People are genuinely concerned and harrowed at such a humanitarian disaster...

Until it comes to the notion of settling some of them here - that's a different ball game. That's when the mask slips.

21 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/07/ukrainian-refugees-britain-hostile-environment-europe?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

"One and a half million desperate Ukrainian refugees. Fifty British visas. It beggars belief.
In time of war we should keep emotional responses in proportion, but sometimes the hypocrisy is intolerable. Boris Johnson is frantically – and blatantly – traipsing his Churchill act through the capitals of Europe. He hurls abuse at Vladimir Putin and promises Ukraine guns and missiles, aid and sanctions, persecution of oligarchs, anything short of soldiers. But when asked to do the one concrete thing that might directly relieve that country’s agony, he reverts to type. For god’s sake keep these Ukrainians away from our shores. Remember the ark of the Brexit covenant."

This is the key thing. Johnson and co staked Brexit on keeping those foreigners out. Down the line, he needs to be able to point to the number of filthy Ukrainian refugees flooding Europe - and the relative lack he’s let sully UK shores - as a Brexit boon. As businesses fail and prices rise, racists need something to keep them thinking that Brexit has been a success. Mark my words - in a few months time, you’ll hear the Tories and their supporters laughing at the newest “European migrant crisis” (they won’t call them refugees) and claiming how grateful we should all be to be free of the EU and its open doors.

2 minutes ago, Antlion said:

This is the key thing. Johnson and co staked Brexit on keeping those foreigners out. Down the line, he needs to be able to point to the number of filthy Ukrainian refugees flooding Europe - and the relative lack he’s let sully UK shores - as a Brexit boon. As businesses fail and prices rise, racists need something to keep them thinking that Brexit has been a success. Mark my words - in a few months time, you’ll hear the Tories and their supporters laughing at the newest “European migrant crisis” (they won’t call them refugees) and claiming how grateful we should all be to be free of the EU and its open doors.

Sadly, I think you might be right on this.

54 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I was a senior Union official for over 10 years myself so I'm not arguing as what you're saying there is often True, but as I say, I'm talking about when push comes to shove people have more to worry about in their own life than not buying from Holland & Barrett because it's owned by a Russian Oligarch.

Yes, you often find those with the least tend to give the most but again I'm not getting at that, I'm talking about those who literally haven't a penny to spare can't possibly decide to pick and choose where they shop etc just to please a few middle class sorts who have no idea what it's like to be living from pay to pay and hoping you make it to the end of the month.

I never knew H&B were owned by the Russians. That's probably why there's nothing nice in there and its all vegetables and PEDs. 

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Sadly, I think you might be right on this.

Seen it before, sadly. They’ll withstand the (slight) criticism they’re receiving at the moment in order to come back stronger later, when public opinion has moved from compassion towards the dispossessed to media-stoked fear of the numbers desperate to come over here instead of stopping where they are. Then, the Tories’ hardline stance against those migrants (who have mobile phones and trainers and don’t even speak English) will be downright heroic.

Johnson could drive towards Buckingham Palace in a Russian tank next week threatening to shell it, after having announced that he had made a detente with Putin, and had been proudly living off oligarch roubles for years, and the Tories would still win the next GE. 

2 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Then, the Tories’ hardline stance against those migrants (who have mobile phones and trainers and don’t even speak English) will be downright heroic.

Mate, I've heard they actually make more money than us selling Big Issues and one of them gets dropped off in a BMW.

I also heard they send all the money back to their big mansion in Romania, Lviv.

If that's a genuine quote from NS it's incredible tbh. The woman who is determined to remove Nuclear weapons from Scotland would actively support engaging in armed conflict with a Nuclear superpower. Wow.

Proof, if proof was ever needed, that NS has lost the plot.

As for her, straight out the covid phrasebook, quote about no politician ruling anything out, I beg to differ. Given the potential consequences of escalation, a "No Fly Zone" over Ukraine is something which 100% should be ruled out. Sometimes care more policies just aren't appropriate.

Given how reliant we are on Russian Oil & Gas, I find it strange that Putin hasn't turned the taps off on both, even though it will obviously affect Russia themselves.

Rutte's recent press conference just rammed it home how serious the ramifications would be on the Global economy if WE decided on an embargo, so really I just don't get why Putin isn't seriously considering the "nuclear option" as regards the Western economies.

"It came as the US hinted at a ban on buying Russian energy, as it looked to other countries to increase supplies.

However, European leaders played down that prospect later on Monday.

After meeting with UK prime minister Boris Johnson and Canada's Justin Trudeau in London, Netherlands prime minister Mark Rutte said: "The painful reality is we are still very much dependent on Russian gas and Russian oil and if you now force European companies to quit doing business with Russia that would have enormous ramifications around Europe including Ukraine but also around the world.

"We have to reduce our dependency. That will take time," he said.

If that's a genuine quote from NS it's incredible tbh. The woman who is determined to remove Nuclear weapons from Scotland would actively support engaging in armed conflict with a Nuclear superpower. Wow.
Proof, if proof was ever needed, that NS has lost the plot.
As for her, straight out the covid phrasebook, quote about no politician ruling anything out, I beg to differ. Given the potential consequences of escalation, a "No Fly Zone" over Ukraine is something which 100% should be ruled out. Sometimes care more policies just aren't appropriate.
Did you read the quote or just the Daily Heil interpretation of the quote?

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I don't imagine there are too many volunteer tanker drivers about.

You need a Dangerous Goods license to drive them so they'll probably be on 2 roubles an hour more. Well worth the risk IMO.