Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

It's a question of priorities as some can't afford to have the same morals as others I'm afraid.

Bollocks

when I’ve been on a picket line it’s been manned mainly by the lower paid staff. 

The folk organising all the Ukraine collections at my work are the secretaries. 

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

Fucking hell.

In case you misunderstand me, what I'm getting at is that if you're on the breadline and shop in say Lidl and Aldi, then someone who's not in a precarious financial situation shouldn't be telling people to shop in Sainsbury's or Waitrose instead as Lidl and Aldi are owned by a German who has links to Putin. (they don't but that's just an example).

The point I'm making, is that feeding the kids is more important than virtue signalling for Facebook likes etc.

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

In case you misunderstand me, what I'm getting at is that if you're on the breadline and shop in say Lidl and Aldi, then someone who's not in a precarious financial situation shouldn't be telling people to shop in Sainsbury's or Waitrose instead as Lidl and Aldi are owned by a German who has links to Putin. (they don't but that's just an example).

The point I'm making, is that feeding the kids is more important than virtue signalling for Facebook likes etc.

You need some time away from the Internet, instead of getting yourself into a state over what imaginary people are doing.

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Are these people in the room right now?

[emoji1787]

The three certainties in life. Death, Taxes and Wattoo getting into a total state about "woke culture".

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Bollocks

when I’ve been on a picket line it’s been manned mainly by the lower paid staff. 

The folk organising all the Ukraine collections at my work are the secretaries. 

I was a senior Union official for over 10 years myself so I'm not arguing as what you're saying there is often True, but as I say, I'm talking about when push comes to shove people have more to worry about in their own life than not buying from Holland & Barrett because it's owned by a Russian Oligarch.

Yes, you often find those with the least tend to give the most but again I'm not getting at that, I'm talking about those who literally haven't a penny to spare can't possibly decide to pick and choose where they shop etc just to please a few middle class sorts who have no idea what it's like to be living from pay to pay and hoping you make it to the end of the month.

8 minutes ago, BFTD said:

You need some time away from the Internet, instead of getting yourself into a state over what imaginary people are doing.

Don't we all.....

6 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I was a senior Union official for over 10 years myself so I'm not arguing as what you're saying there is often True, but as I say, I'm talking about when push comes to shove people have more to worry about in their own life than not buying from Holland & Barrett because it's owned by a Russian Oligarch.

Yes, you often find those with the least tend to give the most but again I'm not getting at that, I'm talking about those who literally haven't a penny to spare can't possibly decide to pick and choose where they shop etc just to please a few middle class sorts who have no idea what it's like to be living from pay to pay and hoping you make it to the end of the month.

Dunno what the middle and working classes have done to you, but best of luck getting over it.

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

Has the fuel shortage theory for the convoy been reported as fact or is it still speculation? Absolutely nuts if that is the real reason they've been stalled all this time. 

I don't imagine there are too many volunteer tanker drivers about.

22 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If, and it's a big if, these figures are accurate, Russian losses in Ukraine over 2 weeks could be approaching their losses over 10 years in Afghanistan.

FNPKfgOXIAMJSrJ?format=jpg&name=900x900

As you say 'if' this is true (and as ever the truth is probably somewhere in the middle of these figures, and the much lower numbers the Russians are putting out), have to wonder about the relative strength of the Ukrainian army....must be standing up quite well in terms of resources of men, armour and aircraft, to inflict that level of damage,

Edited by Jedi

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/07/ukrainian-refugees-britain-hostile-environment-europe?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

"One and a half million desperate Ukrainian refugees. Fifty British visas. It beggars belief.
In time of war we should keep emotional responses in proportion, but sometimes the hypocrisy is intolerable. Boris Johnson is frantically – and blatantly – traipsing his Churchill act through the capitals of Europe. He hurls abuse at Vladimir Putin and promises Ukraine guns and missiles, aid and sanctions, persecution of oligarchs, anything short of soldiers. But when asked to do the one concrete thing that might directly relieve that country’s agony, he reverts to type. For god’s sake keep these Ukrainians away from our shores. Remember the ark of the Brexit covenant."

34 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

And if that Russian offer is genuine, then Ukraine should be snapping it up and finishing this shit show.

Would that not cut Ukraine off from any Black Sea ports?