Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I agree, it was one of many factors, I expect Putin just asked them to stir things up a bit and it played a very minor part alongside Reddit boys thinking it would be a laugh to big up Trump and pretend to be trans lesbians to wind up the feminazis, etc etc. And along with politicians cynically pretending that much of the moonhowler Qanon type stuff is true and right wing broadcasters playing along. Liberal democracy is boring, a growing section of the population think having Mussolini types like Orban, Trump and Putin running things would be much more fun.

The majority of the real working classes don't give a flying fcuk about the type of geopolitical stuff that's being discussed on here, there's much more pressing things in their life such as paying their bills and attempting to make ends meet with the reality wages of £16k - £25k as opposed to the silly figures often bandied about as the average / median wage.

As such, Governments and their advisers need a bit of a wake up call as to what really matters to people as when these energy increases and general cost of living / massive inflation starts to kick in then, there's going to be problems.

Many make the mistake (and I often see it on here also) that everyone thinks like the Uni student or the relatively affluent middle classes, however things aren't like that in the real world, so whether someone is labelled as left, right, liberal, fascist or whatever, the reality is that the majority in the country neither understand nor do they care about all that sort of stuff and rightly so when they have real life issues to be dealing with day to day, every day....

12 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Why would an ecclesiastical supplier need a lorry that size, even in Ireland?

https://www.desmondwisley.com/

26 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Liberal democracy is boring, a growing section of the population think having Mussolini types like Orban, Trump and Putin running things would be much more fun.

Personally, I think there's a depressingly large grain of truth to that.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, but "the limits" have been getting ridiculous recently.

This "oh I take offence to that" has become the norm and indeed the war cry of anyone who just doesn't like what their opponents are arguing and makes it too easy to just ignore / cancel anything which leads to debate.

Sorry, but that's just not on.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

In fairness in the real world I haven't ever come across any of the "types" that you seem to get on social media and indeed even the mainstream, so whether or not they actually exist is I suppose open to debate (if still permitted).

Don't let that stop you raging about it, though.

9 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The majority of the real working classes don't give a flying fcuk about the type of geopolitical stuff that's being discussed on here, there's much more pressing things in their life such as paying their bills and attempting to make ends meet with the reality wages of £16k - £25k as opposed to the silly figures often bandied about as the average / median wage.

As such, Governments and their advisers need a bit of a wake up call as to what really matters to people as when these energy increases and general cost of living / massive inflation starts to kick in then, there's going to be problems.

Many make the mistake (and I often see it on here also) that everyone thinks like the Uni student or the relatively affluent middle classes, however things aren't like that in the real world, so whether someone is labelled as left, right, liberal, fascist or whatever, the reality is that the majority in the country neither understand nor do they care about all that sort of stuff and rightly so when they have real life issues to be dealing with day to day, every day....

I agree that the majority of people are uninterested in politics but I’d take issue with your suggestion that poorer people are more likely to be disinterested. I don’t have any data but it feels wrong. 

I'm very much of the opinion that there's very few politicians from which I want to hear their pontificating on the rights and wrongs of a no fly zone. Any such zone would be implemented by a NATO coalition. Scotland, as an entity, as represented by Nicola Sturgeon, doesn't really have any skin in the game. Leave this to the high command of the various armies involved tbh.

Thats the civilised version of what I think. Less so, just shut the f**k up Nicola, your contribution is about as helpful as that of Liz Truss, which is quite the achievement.

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

I agree that the majority of people are uninterested in politics but I’d take issue with your suggestion that poorer people are more likely to be disinterested. I don’t have any data but it feels wrong. 

It's a question of priorities as some can't afford to have the same morals as others I'm afraid.

One thing this will put an end to is any anti nuclear weapons and power sentiment.  No nuclear armed nation is going to find much support to scale back its weapons program.  Likewise you can bet that nuclear power plants in Europe will be back on the agenda.

Well done Vlad.