Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

21 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

What is it about the term mutually assured destruction that people are having difficulties with ?

It's not being shown on a TV screen/Twitter feed and so doesn't fit into most people's calculation. 

It's just as well we don't have a direct democracy as otherwise we'd be busy voting to start stupid wars between every break in Coronation Street

24 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Being reported from McKenzie Intelligence satellites that the Russian advancing convoy is being hampered by multiple breakdowns to their vehicles.

At the rate their equipment appears to be failing, any ICBM launch will look something like this...

giphy.gif

Reminds of the reports when the cold war stopped and the Soviet Union broke up one of the first to go in were the nuclear inspectors and they basically said none of them were fireable in the state they were found and if they managed to actually get off the ground it was pot luck were they would land.

Go to assume that they have updated them though

29 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Despite the screaming hoardes on twitter insisting that it is, we are not in WWIII. I also still have a bit of faith that no-one involved in this entire scenario actually wants to engage in global conflict as it will end rapidly, badly and will be irreversible for everyone on the planet.

If Putin Truly wanted it, there would be less posturing and more triggering.

If the Americans/NATO wanted it, they'd be steaming into Ukraine all guns blazing.

World Wars don’t start at the guns and bombs stage though. This started years ago when he got away with things before, when he gets his influence in foreign governments like ours. 

We are already involved in this war. You can be as involved by inactivity as you can be taking action. What we do and don’t do, will shape how Putin acts both now and later on.

I don’t think the NATO can get involved or introduce a no-fly zone because I suspect Putin wants that as another escalation point. Yet that concerns me that he wants or needs another point to escalate/threaten. That takes us beyond what he is doing now.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

The US has fudged the Taiwan issue ever since Nixon's visit to China, just like NATO has fudged the issue of Ukraine's future.

You're simply betraying your complete ignorance of East Asian history, if you don't think that China hasn't done every single one of those things in its stomping ground since the 1950s. Unlike the Soviets, Mao was one of the few leaders willing to both fight and 'win' a global nuclear war. China threw back a UN army in Korea with enormous casualties and has clashed militarily with almost every neighbour in the region (including India, Vietnam, and the Soviets). 

Taiwan does not have the unlimited right to choose its alliance partners because even the US is not prepared to be drawn by the unavoidable logic of a defence commitment there. It is a geopolitical trigger for WW3. 

The only difference between the two cases is that a rising China is likely to be much better equipped to deal with the consequences of its eventual move than a Russia in dire long-term economic decline. 

How then does an applicant country find out if they're part of NATO, if 'Yes' and 'No' are not provided? Do they use interpretive dance instead? 

thats great knowledge from someone who is a professional epidemiologist......

2 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

World Wars don’t start at the guns and bombs stage though. This started years ago when he got away with things before, when he gets his influence in foreign governments like ours. 

We are already involved in this war. You can be as involved by inactivity as you can be taking action. What we do and don’t do, will shape how Putin acts both now and later on.

I don’t think the NATO can get involved or introduce a no-fly zone because I suspect Putin wants that as another escalation point. Yet that concerns me that he wants or needs another point to escalate/threaten. That takes us beyond what he is doing now.

Greenied for using the term 

The Nato

Massive explosions over Kharkiv, plenty on Twitter if you want to search for it. Suggests an ammo dump was hit.

ETA - The massive explosion seems to be from last night but there are clips of rocket fire against Kharkiv tonight.

Reports the Russian force in the South has made good progress and is approaching Zaporizhia. Not too much resistance for them on relatively flat hard to defend territory.

Edited by ICTChris

2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I take it things have cooled down in Ukraine as I've just seen Nicholas Witchell walk across my TV screen on his knees.

Take your front-door key from him and tell him to f**k off.

Footage of Ukrainians trying to stop a Russian convoy, one of the soldiers fires in the air.

I wonder how long before we see footage or reports of Russian troops opening fire on these protesters.

33 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

thats great knowledge from someone who is a professional epidemiologist......

You really don't need to be a modern day Da Vinci to understand that China has a long history of military aggression under the CCP and that the Scottish Government is talking out its arse whenever the day ends in a 'y'. Any reasonably rational and evidence-driven individual can do both. 

Perhaps if the SG had consulted the experts on P and B then they wouldn't have tried to saw the bottom off asbestos-riddled school fire doors for a start. 

Edited by vikingTON