Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

23 minutes ago, Detournement said:

They had 8 years to sort out their civil war and did nothing to implement the peace agreement. They may want to closer to home than the UK PM. 

I agree. Putin is clearly a despot while at the same time Ukraine and the West have not been without fault in the affair. Like most things, it’s complicated.

23 minutes ago, BFTD said:

That's not the choice, though. It's enduring WW3, or waiting to see if Russia are going to stick or twist, then enduring WW3 a bit later.

FFS no, that's really not 'the choice' at all.

This sort of armchair general logic would have led to World War 3 over Korea in 1950, Hungary in 1956, Cuba in 1962, Czechoslovakia in 1968, not to name countless other crises and regional conflicts since the atomic age began. Not one of them required battering into WW3 because oh well it'll just happen anyway. We can see this with crystal clarity with hindsight.

Yet here we are presenting a demonstrably no more severe crisis as the inevitable start of nuclear Armageddon because your two minute Twitter flag change didn't change the news feed. It is this sort of wild hot take, based on moral indignation politics that makes democracies just as dangerous as tyrannies when it comes to making war, which was clear enough even way back in the days of ancient Athens. 

Edited by vikingTON

33 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

The question is whether it’s started already. He’s got away with doing this in the Crimea and Georgia before, Ukraine may not be the last of it, nobody really knows for sure what he is trying to achieve, it’s clearly not just about the disputed areas.

Letting the Ukrainians fight this alone can go two ways, either it’s us starting WW3 or possible Nuclear war, or we are just staving it off for a later date and he keeps going.

I thought he was trying to move the borders back to before the first world war.  

7 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I thought he was trying to move the borders back to before the first world war.  

Was that ever possible without a World War? I mean, we don’t know for certain what the end goal is, you could certainly be correct. Perhaps he is trying to instigate a war?

Edited by Jambomo

3 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Was that ever possible without a World War? I mean, we don’t know for certain what the end goal is, you could certainly be correct. Perhaps he is trying to instigate a war?

Probably not, as much as countries have absolutely shat it from one (rightly so), there comes a time it needs to be stopped.  Apparently we aren't there yet though. 

Goes without saying nobody wants WW3/Nuclear warfare.

On some of the points above though saying Ukraine are expendable is shocking to read, but also goes beyond that.

You can't just allow Putin to do as he pleases because he has nuclear weapons and "might" use them. What if he announced drop all sanctions or I will nuke you for example.

I'm glad I don't have to make these decisions but if NATO decided to help Ukraine with boots on the ground I'd understand and support. What happens after that, well so be it.

Personally I don't think it would bring nuclear war. Even if he himself wanted that.

Being reported from McKenzie Intelligence satellites that the Russian advancing convoy is being hampered by multiple breakdowns to their vehicles.

At the rate their equipment appears to be failing, any ICBM launch will look something like this...

giphy.gif

Edited by djchapsticks

25 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:

Goes without saying nobody wants WW3/Nuclear warfare.

On some of the points above though saying Ukraine are expendable is shocking to read, but also goes beyond that.

You can't just allow Putin to do as he pleases because he has nuclear weapons and "might" use them. What if he announced drop all sanctions or I will nuke you for example.

I'm glad I don't have to make these decisions but if NATO decided to help Ukraine with boots on the ground I'd understand and support. What happens after that, well so be it.

Personally I don't think it would bring nuclear war. Even if he himself wanted that.

Thanks for that Liz.

9 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

What is it about the term mutually assured destruction that people are having difficulties with ?

Sounds a bit mad, to be honest with you.

3 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

What is it about the term mutually assured destruction that people are having difficulties with ?

Despite the screaming hoardes on twitter insisting that it is, we are not in WWIII. I also still have a bit of faith that no-one involved in this entire scenario actually wants to engage in global conflict as it will end rapidly, badly and will be irreversible for everyone on the planet.

If Putin Truly wanted it, there would be less posturing and more triggering.

If the Americans/NATO wanted it, they'd be steaming into Ukraine all guns blazing.

11 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

Its all a bit MAD....

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Despite the screaming hoardes on twitter insisting that it is, we are not in WWIII. I also still have a bit of faith that no-one involved in this entire scenario actually wants to engage in global conflict as it will end rapidly, badly and will be irreversible for everyone on the planet.

If Putin Truly wanted it, there would be less posturing and more triggering.

If the Americans/NATO wanted it, they'd be steaming into Ukraine all guns blazing.

If Britain wanted it, we would stick Liz back on the stage.

FTFY