Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

53 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Media reporting that a 6 day week is to be introduced in Russia, but people will only get paid for 5. For the war effort. 

This is the source I think, I very much doubt will Putin make it happen.

https://iz.ru/1516103/2023-05-22/v-rossii-predlozhili-vvesti-shestidnevnuiu-rabochuiu-nedeliu

13 hours ago, welshbairn said:

This is the source I think, I very much doubt will Putin make it happen.

https://iz.ru/1516103/2023-05-22/v-rossii-predlozhili-vvesti-shestidnevnuiu-rabochuiu-nedeliu

I doubt it too but he very much could if he wanted to. Russian workers have no trade unions as they're illegal so the only resistance would be spontaneous individual acts that'd be hammered instantly, long before they were allowed to catch on. I linked a page ago to a Ukrainian academic giving a class analysis of Russia's actions. This is a line in it:

"The conflict now being resolved in Ukraine by tanks, artillery, and rockets is the same conflict that police batons have suppressed in Belarus and Russia itself".

1 hour ago, FreedomFarter said:

I doubt it too but he very much could if he wanted to. Russian workers have no trade unions as they're illegal so the only resistance would be spontaneous individual acts that'd be hammered instantly, long before they were allowed to catch on. I linked a page ago to a Ukrainian academic giving a class analysis of Russia's actions. This is a line in it:

"The conflict now being resolved in Ukraine by tanks, artillery, and rockets is the same conflict that police batons have suppressed in Belarus and Russia itself".

So that's what supporting Russia/Belarus means for the ordinary folk of that nation. It is also one d.mn good reason for driving that nation out of the Ukraine completely.

1 hour ago, Dev said:

So that's what supporting Russia/Belarus means for the ordinary folk of that nation. It is also one d.mn good reason for driving that nation out of the Ukraine completely.

Sure, and to be clear, I've plucked that line out of its context. The author of course wasn't comparing the scale of oppression being dished out to the Belarusian and Russian working classes with that of Ukrainians. That'd be absurd as the Ukrainians are facing a struggle for their very existence currently. He was making a connection between the common enemy faced by Russians, Belarusians and Ukrainians. Unfortunately with the propaganda being so total in Russia and Belarus, though, this won't be clear to many of the populaces there.

Edit: Better put, that its about Putin and his oligarchs, the Russian ownership class, and their material interests. Securing and expanding their wealth. They'd reached a level where  control of Russia and Belarus could be maintained with just police batons but Ukraine was proving more unruly (their perspective) so they resorted to mass murder and terrorisation with missiles and guns.

Edited by FreedomFarter

Russian missiles and drones attacking Kyiv both last night and during the day today.  There has been an increase in these attacks the last few days and weeks - in the past 48 hours over one hundreds missiles and drones have been launched against Kyiv.  Worth noting when idiots share a clip of people eating at a McDonalds in Kyiv as some sort of proof that the war isn't real or some other moronic bullshit. 

At the same time significant attacks are being made against Russian targets behind the front lines, some suggestions that UK provided Storm Shadow missiles are being used.  Dozens of strikes have taken place in recent days, including in Mariupol and Berdyansk - in the latter location the Russian-installed deputy mayor was killed.  By some estimates Ukraine has destroyed hundreds of Russian artillery pieces and other equipment in the last two weeks.

3 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

Sure, and to be clear, I've plucked that line out of its context. The author of course wasn't comparing the scale of oppression being dished out to the Belarusian and Russian working classes with that of Ukrainians. That'd be absurd as the Ukrainians are facing a struggle for their very existence currently. He was making a connection between the common enemy faced by Russians, Belarusians and Ukrainians. Unfortunately with the propaganda being so total in Russia and Belarus, though, this won't be clear to many of the populaces there.

Edit: Better put, that its about Putin and his oligarchs, the Russian ownership class, and their material interests. Securing and expanding their wealth. They'd reached a level where  control of Russia and Belarus could be maintained with just police batons but Ukraine was proving more unruly (their perspective) so they resorted to mass murder and terrorisation with missiles and guns.

Totally agree.

The big question is just how extreme will Putin & Co go/get and what reaction that creates. 

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Russian missiles and drones attacking Kyiv both last night and during the day today.  There has been an increase in these attacks the last few days and weeks - in the past 48 hours over one hundreds missiles and drones have been launched against Kyiv.  Worth noting when idiots share a clip of people eating at a McDonalds in Kyiv as some sort of proof that the war isn't real or some other moronic bullshit. 

At the same time significant attacks are being made against Russian targets behind the front lines, some suggestions that UK provided Storm Shadow missiles are being used.  Dozens of strikes have taken place in recent days, including in Mariupol and Berdyansk - in the latter location the Russian-installed deputy mayor was killed.  By some estimates Ukraine has destroyed hundreds of Russian artillery pieces and other equipment in the last two weeks.

Apparently there are a number of ships regularity plying their business in the Caspian Sea that are now spoofing their trackers or simply going dark. The Iranians are providing munitions and drones via this uninterruptible supply route.

10 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

Tbf, it doesn't take much here for the police to produce the batons and tazers.

For a change of pace, the latest attack on Kyiv was in the daylight and seemed to target the civilian center of the city rather than industrial, power grid or military targets. Has Putin gone full Hitler and demanded a Blitz? 

Moscow has come under heavy drone attack today, numerous kamikaze drones were launched at the Russian capital. Russian authorities say that 32 drones were launched and all but three were shot down.

Loads of clips of drones seemingly shot down as well hitting some targets.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Moscow has come under heavy drone attack today, numerous kamikaze drones were launched at the Russian capital. Russian authorities say that 32 drones were launched and all but three were shot down.

Loads of clips of drones seemingly shot down as well hitting some targets.

Russia should do a special military operation in response.

BBC report on the Russian abduction of children from occupied Ukraine.  It is this that has prompted the ICC issuing a warrant for Putin's arrest on war crime charges.  The Russian children's commissioner has also had a warrant issued.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65641304

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Russian Volunteer Corps have launched another raid across the border into Belgorod, fighting reported in and around Shebekino, a border town.

Russians initiating a preplanned muster at an administrative building only to get grads to the collective face was quite funny.

(If true ofc)

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Russian Volunteer Corps have launched another raid across the border into Belgorod, fighting reported in and around Shebekino, a border town.

This RVC stuff is funny, as in, strange. It simply doesn’t make sense for the Ukrainians to tolerate instability on this border area, as it invites Russian action. The Russians, for all their problems, have the numbers to surge forward if they decide to do it. Granted, it would take a general mobilization, but that’s possible if there is sufficient threat…and this is the kind of excuse you need.

Now artillery shells generally can’t be traced like missiles can (exceptions for duds, but those are much rarer than shot down missile debris), but it’s artillery and not rockets/missiles that has been hitting the nuclear power plant randomly, and now Belgorod. I’d like to see some evidence of the RVC crossing the Ukraine/Russia border…I’m not suggesting it’s a false flag, but it is very convenient for Vlad right now…much like the UJ-22’s attacking Moscow. The Russian behavior in Syria and other operations, like the little green men, makes me wonder what they might want to set up, as there are already low level reports of chemical weapons use…and that makes me a little suspicious of this little event.

I think the border incursions are real.  There is loads of evidence that the battles were real, the governer of the region evacuate thousands of residents, there is footage of the Russians sending fighter jets to bomb RVC / LoF positions.  Today there is footage of the city hall of Shebenko on fire from an artillery strike.

Russia will have to move troops towards the border to prevent these incursions, those are troops who won't be available to defend the lines in Ukraine.  The guys doing it are pretty expendable for Ukraine as well, being completely cold about it. 

I honestly don't think any of the attacks in Russia are false flags, I think it's all Ukraine or Ukraine-allied groups.  The Russians did try to pass off some fake photos of destroyed equipment after the first incursion and they produced some shoddy false bombings right at the start of the war in the Donbas but none of this looks like it's a fake.  To me anyway.

Edited by ICTChris

13 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I think the border incursions are real.  There is loads of evidence that the battles were real, the governer of the region evacuate thousands of residents, there is footage of the Russians sending fighter jets to bomb RVC / LoF positions.  Today there is footage of the city hall of Shebenko on fire from an artillery strike.

Russia will have to move troops towards the border to prevent these incursions, those are troops who won't be available to defend the lines in Ukraine.  The guys doing it are pretty expendable for Ukraine as well, being completely cold about it. 

I honestly don't think any of the attacks in Russia are false flags, I think it's all Ukraine or Ukraine-allied groups.  The Russians did try to pass off some fake photos of destroyed equipment after the first incursion and they produced some shoddy false bombings right at the start of the war in the Donbas but none of this looks like it's a fake.  To me anyway.

Yea, like I said, it’s just a bit coincidental funny…and seems to favor Russia. I‘d like to see clear evidence of who was lobbing artillery around, but it’s outside the range of any radars other than Ukrainian and Russian, so clear evidence is unlikely.

In the same vein, there was one picture of what looked to be a UJ-22 attacking Moscow, but some other pictures showed a different configuration on other drones. There are several independent Ukrainian efforts to design attack drones, and there is again the possibly that Russia could have taken one (or several) of the crashed UJ-22’s and built one to use…and the UJ-22 only has a 17kg payload, so it’s a very poor choice for such an attack.