Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

16 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Basically a tiny gesture considering the US have 3700 in storage and 2500 active even the yanks supplied Egypt with 1360 of them according to Wiki. 

HIMARS started off with just 4 and numbers soon ballooned from there. A year ago very few people in the west thought the Ukrainians could win a war against Russia, so it was all about giving them the tools to make victory so pyrrhic that Vlad would think twice about moving any further. The latest decisions are a big step towards making it possible for Ukraine to try to retake Luhansk and Donetsk cities and the Crimean peninsula.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I’m sure there are people who know more than me on this but apparently it takes ages to train people on the Abrams.

Said on news they would be removing complicated systems and some other upgrades to simplify them and get training done quicker.

As a 53 year old man, I’ve watched this “special military mission” these past 11 months and always thought that it had potential to escalate due to the characters and history of all concerned directly and on the sidelines.

I was half looking forward (a year ago) to a decade of proper work then maybe a gig in Asda or B&Q to finance my alcoholic habit in older age. Guess I’ll be in a modern day Dads Army by summertime the way it looks at the moment.

1 minute ago, deegee said:

As a 53 year old man, I’ve watched this “special military mission” these past 11 months and always thought that it had potential to escalate due to the characters and history of all concerned directly and on the sidelines.

I was half looking forward (a year ago) to a decade of proper work then maybe a gig in Asda or B&Q to finance my alcoholic habit in older age. Guess I’ll be in a modern day Dads Army by summertime the way it looks at the moment.

You stupid boy.

I was in the Territorial Army for a couple of years in the late 80s. Purely a hobby and my way of getting some military stories to bore the old WW2 vets with in the pub at the time, without the risk of going to Yugoslavia, Falklands, Ireland or anywhere “tasty” at the time. 

I remember doing NBCW (nuclear biological chemical warfare) drills in full nuclear kit and gas masks in Barry Budden and watching videos on the Soviet commandos, Spetzeks who we would resist and kill  if they parachuted in! I still remember thinking I’d either die in the first 30 secs of invasion or I’d be an unashamed collaborator! Self preservation kicked in at a youthful teenage age. 

Can I just say that I have formed an unnatural curiosity about @Leggy Blonde who always seems to be lurking on this thread when I’m here? A 12 year member, less than a post a week on average and located in North America. 

Could it be that the CIA are formulating the US Foreign policy based on the musings of a couple of dozen middle aged alcoholic sad sacks in the middle of the North Atlantic?

Spoiler

Raith Rovers?

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

germany has said that the Leopards will be delivered late March.

I wonder if this will change the timings around potential offensives from either side.

IF the crews are trained pre-delivery

IF the tanks get delivered without incident

IF the ammo situation is sorted before deployment

THEN there’s a small chance of an impact, but honestly, no.

I don’t expect Ukraine to start another offensive into prepared Russian positions in the Spring. The Leopards (and Abrams) are both much heavier than the Russian T-90’s, T-80’s and T-72’s, so they will be more constrained in the thawing environment too. I’d expect Ukraine to plan to counter Russian attacks, let them draw down supplies and troops before countering in the drier summer months.