Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

14 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

My research (watching old films) leads me to conclude tank technology has got worse. They seemed to go head to head blowing lumps out each other and driving through buildings before. Tanks these days would be tipped over if they ran over a beach ball.

Having armour and artillery is all fine and well but the real test will can it handle a wet winters night fixture in Stranraer.

Is an okrug the same as an oblast?
To the best of my understanding, in this sense okrug is probably similar to our council wards. Generally it's a subdivision of an oblast, sometimes with some level of autonomy. It's all a bit higgledy-piggledy over there though.

59 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, ICTChris said:
Brittney Griner swapped for Viktor Bout.

Russia's played a blinder on that one.

Viktor Bout spent 14 years in a US prison, don't think they were that clever.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, ICTChris said:
Brittney Griner swapped for Viktor Bout.

Russia's played a blinder on that one.

More a microcosm of Russian aggression.

"ShE'lL get TeN yEaRs HaRd LaBoUr!!!111!!!"

"Oh, OK. We'll put her on a plane straight away."

Shitebags who just want to be feared & further confirmation NATO should never back down.

23 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Viktor Bout spent 14 years in a US prison, don't think they were that clever.

Sentenced to a minimum of 25 years. Federal penalties don’t allow good time credit, but do account for time in jail awaiting trial, etc. Not a terrible deal as a 1-for-1, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the ex-Marine Paul Whelan gets something out of this (sentence reduction or such), but separated by time to allow the Russians deniability.

7 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Sentenced to a minimum of 25 years. Federal penalties don’t allow good time credit, but do account for time in jail awaiting trial, etc. Not a terrible deal as a 1-for-1, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the ex-Marine Paul Whelan gets something out of this (sentence reduction or such), but separated by time to allow the Russians deniability.

No doubt the KGB successors in their various agencies are going wild trying to buy missile tech they never bothered trying to produce for themselves, and the Yanks will catch one they can use in exchange. Putin appears to rely a lot on the support of his old colleagues on a quid pro quo basis, so there probably won't be too much haggling.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

No doubt the KGB successors in their various agencies are going wild trying to buy missile tech they never bothered trying to produce for themselves, and the Yanks will catch one they can use in exchange. Putin appears to rely a lot on the support of his old colleagues on a quid pro quo basis, so there probably won't be too much haggling.

Whelan, for all his denials, certainly seems to have been into something…so I suspect there’s more going on than it appears. It’s highly unlikely he was s working for U.S. intelligence, but there are a few others that might have been dipping their beaks via a “security consultant” with a bad conduct discharge.

More a microcosm of Russian aggression.
"ShE'lL get TeN yEaRs HaRd LaBoUr!!!111!!!"
"Oh, OK. We'll put her on a plane straight away."

Shitebags who just want to be feared & further confirmation NATO should never back down.
Think it was a tad more complicated than that, you could easily frame the US position in a similar way. Think your take has more than a hint of confirmation bias on this one.