Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
16 minutes ago, Slim Charles. said:
We need a greener arms industry. One that does not simply pay lip service to their carbon footprint. I'm putting Rayethon on notice, reusable weapons of mass destruction now.

What about a giant fucking laser in the sky?

As long as its not tested on animals beforehand.

11 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

At the very least use biodgradable drones when you are blowing up thousands of barrels of aviation fuel.  Do better Ukrainian Air Force.

It's a start. Single use plastics have no place on today's modern battlefield. What sort of example are we showing future generations here ?

8 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Doesn't that defeat the purpose a wee bit? I thought smart missiles and drones etc were made to negate the need for people on the ground.

(Keep in mind, I didn't know tanks, and other things that look a bit like tanks, needed people walking beside them.)

The catch is that GPS isn’t completely reliable, the Russians have been spoofing GPS for years, so they can’t rely solely upon it for guidance to hit targets. INS is self contained, but not accurate enough for point targets. Ideally, especially for striking targets that move (like aircraft and such on an airbase), you have a person or drone capable of illuminating the target with a laser or guiding the weapon in via pictures. Due to lag, using video for long-range attacks is difficult, so a person near the target is also preferred.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Igor Girkin is back, posting an update after time spent on the frontlines.

This reply sums up what is happening very well:

The time for Vlad to invade was 2014 on the pretext that the coup against Yanukovych was illegal. Instead he waited until there was a new Ukrainian leader in power from the Russophone east and south rather than a leader backed primarily by "Banderastan".

13 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Doesn't that defeat the purpose a wee bit? I thought smart missiles and drones etc were made to negate the need for people on the ground.

(Keep in mind, I didn't know tanks, and other things that look a bit like tanks, needed people walking beside them.)

When my grandpa first got a car, a man with a red flag had to walk along in front of him waving pedestrians out of the way. 

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Guess a lot of Poland's reaction on the Patriots was posturing though and it probably actually facilitated this, which may or may not have been what made Vlad's most recent missile strike this week a bit of a damp squib:

That would be up to 20 S-125SC upgraded versions of the older Soviet S-125. Low and extremely low altitude optimized, multiple angle capable, Polish developed version of the older Russian system. Deployed in 1999, and using much better electronics due to Polish contacts with the West during the 90’s.

image.thumb.jpeg.3c64c306fa463cd0490f3caf8eae07c8.jpeg

48 minutes ago, TxRover said:

That would be up to 20 S-125SC upgraded versions of the older Soviet S-125. Low and extremely low altitude optimized, multiple angle capable, Polish developed version of the older Russian system. Deployed in 1999, and using much better electronics due to Polish contacts with the West during the 90’s.

image.thumb.jpeg.3c64c306fa463cd0490f3caf8eae07c8.jpeg

That’s a tank, isn’t it