Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

No surprise that the Swedes and Danes have found evidence of explosives being used to blow up the Nord pipelines. Presumably they'll be able to tell if the blast came from the inside or outside. Was just think it might have been possible to send a suicidal robotic vehicle laden with a match to ignite the gas, from either end? Or with TNT..
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/kremlin-says-russia-not-invited-nord-stream-investigation-2022-10-06/
A pig with a timed or remote detonated explosive on it would be a very simple proposition. I imagine though that even in its dormant state, the receiving end would know if there was a pig in the line because it needs gas to push it..... So something self propelled then.... Some sort of drone. Wouldn't imagine its beyond the realms of fairly simple technology.

1 hour ago, dorlomin said:

Does not mean they are headed to Ukraine, just that there is now a pretty wide desire to send modernish tanks there in the European Parliament. It will still all hang on the Bundeskanzelor and his appetite for the risks.  

Is that English for "Federal Chancellor"?

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

A pig with a timed or remote detonated explosive on it would be a very simple proposition. I imagine though that even in its dormant state, the receiving end would know if there was a pig in the line because it needs gas to push it..... So something self propelled then.... Some sort of drone. Wouldn't imagine its beyond the realms of fairly simple technology.

image.thumb.png.52ce17826d9d4b05da7fed0aa54613b4.png

30 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Ah well. Had a decent run at it I guess.

That's a Detournement source right there.

Meanwhile, in the real world, the Ruskies were rowing back their nuclear rhetoric even further this morning.

45 minutes ago, Elixir said:

That's a Detournement source right there.

Meanwhile, in the real world, the Ruskies were rowing back their nuclear rhetoric even further this morning.

It definitely parrots a lot of alt right/ “classic liberal” political patter. I mostly follow it for the finance market takes, which can be insightful at times.

43 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Here’s one to reinvigorate the “Putin has cancer/stroke/heart disease” lines.

Patriarch Kirill invited the clergy and believers to "pray for health" Vladimir Putin for two days.

Sleepy Joe's off the cuff remarks sure will be seized upon for a while. The auld duffer needs a constant leash.

Meanwhile:

Paul Stronski, of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace ,told the BBC that Russia's "destabilising rhetoric" is aimed at deterring the West, even though the West appears resolved to push back on it.

There has also been some pushback against Moscow's nuclear threats in Russia itself. An editorial in the country's mainstream Nezavisimaya Gazeta newspaper was heavily critical of "senior Russian officials" for "talking about the nuclear button".

"To allow, in thoughts and words, the possibility of a nuclear conflict is a sure step to allowing it in reality."

Russia's foreign ministry spokeswoman told reporters on Thursday that Moscow had not changed its position that nuclear war "must never be waged".

11 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I assume MAD theory still trumps all and no one will actually go nuclear?

I read a book a while back on the history of wargaming, and apparently since the advent of nuclear weapons even in a simulated scenario it's very difficult to get people to make the psychological jump to go nuclear regardless of what factors you surprise them with.

Of course, that's assuming there are rational actors on both sides.

Russia is so centralised though that it would probably have more to lose in a limited nuclear exchange.