Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

On 25/09/2022 at 18:50, virginton said:

Relocation wouldn't be genocide either. I think we should continue to use international law and consequent precise dictionaries to define this rather important term, rather than a political spin doctor. 

Between this and the China coup it's really not been a great few days for those who take their hot takes off Twitter. 

Luckily I don't take them from P& B either.  Your hot takes on here should be on the facts I made up thread.

Love it how we can't compare things due to some hand-wavy "legal definition" reason but recruiting (asking) and mobilising (forcing) can equally be hand-waved away as being the same thing. Gotta love P&B logic.

Almost as much as you've got to love Russian logic. Half the region bombed out? Loads of people killed, missing or displaced? No bother, let's say turnout is higher than most free and fair elections. That will convince people it's legit.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Love it how we can't compare things due to some hand-wavy "legal definition" reason but recruiting (asking) and mobilising (forcing) can equally be hand-waved away as being the same thing. Gotta love P&B logic.

Almost as much as you've got to love Russian logic. Half the region bombed out? Loads of people killed, missing or displaced? No bother, let's say turnout is higher than most free and fair elections. That will convince people it's legit.

It's Viking ton modus operandi: talk shite in condescending tone, disappear when it turns out you made an erse of it, slink back after a short while and avoid referring to previous minter and adopt tried and tested tactic beloved of internet shite bags who aren't as clever as they think they are by arguing minor grammatical and terminology points. Bonus points if you hang onto said point like a dug with a stick and/or insist that the other person 'be specific'.

Genocide is a clearly defined legal term precisely because genocide requires a response from the international community.

It's taken decades of work responding to the worst atrocities humans are capable of to establish an internationally recognised legal framework and mechanism for dealing with such crimes (even if Russia aren't signatories to the Rome statute). 

I think its fair to say throwing around your own definition of what is "tantamount" to genocide is at least massively unhelpful. Its also a massive cheek when Ukraine haven't ratified the Rome statute themselves.