Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

36 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

He's a retired psychologist who's an expert at adding one and two to make 96.

Everything he publishes is backed up with documentary evidence. 

The modern British outlook on any topic seems to be that the less you know about it the better. People go from being unaware something exists to be being qualified to dismiss researchers in 2 mins. 

Edited by Detournement

8 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The modern British outlook on any topic seems to be that the less you know about it the better. People go from being unaware something exists to be being qualified to dismiss researchers in 2 mins. 

Opinions and debate are no longer welcome.

The modern outlook on anything is simply that anything which goes against the currently accepted narrative is wrong, to the point it will be confidently stated as being so by people in absolutely no position to be able to do so.

I don't think this is an overly healthy position tbh.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Everything he publishes is backed up with documentary evidence. 

The tweet you quoted is from early cold war research, exactly the same as the Soviets were doing. Given Russia was the enemy they were obviously interested in how a bioweapon might spread through the local wildlife, including mosquitos. Jumping from that to the US in the 2020s running bioweapon labs in Ukraine trying to find a way to exterminate Slavs by collecting their DNA is the kind 1+2=96 deductive reasoning I alluded to. 

Edited by welshbairn

How ‘Ukrainian bioweapons labs’ myth went from QAnon fringe to Fox News. A feedback loop involving Russia and Tucker Carlson is promoting claims of US funding for biological weapons in Ukraine

Interesting that the usual Russian outlets have dropped the topic, maybe because they might be asked to come up with the evidence now they've occupied places that presumably were hosting some of the labs.

Edited by welshbairn

3 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I'm not an expert in nuclear weapons so will take your word for this. It changes nothing though, the military build up on their border couldn't be allowed to continue.

It changes everything. Effective weapons would need to be further from Russia than Ukraine for their own protection, or it negates any gains from shorter, more interceptible, flights, so the “military buildup” is a red herring…

We also had a dozen biolabs in Ukraine. Why? Why have we spent the last twenty years trying to collect Slavic DNA? Russia has, rightly, been complaining about this for decades. We have, quite openly, been trying to develop bioweapons that can target specific ethnicities for decades. 

1) Researching diseases like COVID 2) Because we want all DNA’s to evaluate medications varying impacts on different groups 3) Quite rightly, my ass 4) Nope, just nope…put down the QAnon crack pipe.

Ukraine's border with Russia is 1200 miles long and stretches right into the heart of the most populated areas of Russia. And we're building biolabs along it while collecting Russian DNA.

Putin has behaved rationally and reasonably here. He's hardly a good person but he isn't in the wrong here. And btw most of the world supports him not us. We're just heavily propagandised in the West so we don't know that.

Russia has a legitimate and very serious national security concern in Ukraine. It's Putin's actual job to address that. 

Now we get to the true message, the Russian propaganda message…and disinformation. Orwell would approve.

Why are the 'do your own research' brigade always taken in by easily debunkable sources and unreliable info that confirms their outlook bias?

It always results in a concentric downward spiral of conspiracy beliefs that ultimately leads to 'everything and everyone except me is wrong/a lie'. It's insanely conceited and leads to / fuels a very unhealthy mindset. COVID was a real motivator for these types of people and I saw several friends just go deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole. It's sad.

9 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Why are the 'do your own research' brigade always taken in by easily debunkable sources and unreliable info that confirms their outlook bias?

It always results in a concentric downward spiral of conspiracy beliefs that ultimately leads to 'everything and everyone except me is wrong/a lie'. It's insanely conceited and leads to / fuels a very unhealthy mindset. COVID was a real motivator for these types of people and I saw several friends just go deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole. It's sad.

Sheeple found

Lots of chaotic reports about the mobilisation.  In Buryatia students are being taken out of Unviersity classrooms by military recruiters.  There are videos of men in Dagestan arguing with the recruiters, she tells them they need to fight for their future, one of the men replies they don't even have a present.  Various reports of much older men being pulled in - one in Buryatia showed a 49 year old man being mobilised.  Some places are saying they will train recruits for two weeks, others that they will send mobilised personnel straight to the front.

It seems that regional authorities will be in charge of mobilising meaning that there most likely won't be a uniform policy for training, equipping and selecting those to be mobilised.  Another difficulty they have is that the 'shadow' mobilisation since April, when Russia recruited ex-military to either volunteer units or PMCs like Wagner, has used up a lot of the willing and more experienced men with military experience.  Who is left - people who served as conscripts many years ago or people who have relevant experience but don't want to join up.  It's a way to ensure quantity of soldiers rather than quality.

According to this there's a 7th paragraph in the mobilisation decree that allows for up to a million conscriptions. It's not for public consumption.

Source: The secret clause of the decree on mobilization allows the Ministry of Defense to call up one million people

Russian sources apparently said to be reporting significant Ukrainian advances in the countryside north of Lyman and also further north to the east of the Oskil river in Kharkiv oblast:

It tended to be these Russians sources that provided news on Ukrainian advances during the recent big advance west of the Oskil river.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

If I was a Russian citizen and on the list I'd be heading for Moscow or St Petersburg instead of Georgia or Armenia, assuming the local authorities didn't stop me. You're supposed to apply for a permit just to leave town now.

P.S. Bits of unauthenticated translation:

one.jpg.bd18b5abacad5855d28f45083f01e068.jpg

two.JPG.5eff9a2f9e788857dbda8bd736aef78e.JPG

Edited by welshbairn

I'm not an expert in nuclear weapons so will take your word for this. It changes nothing though, the military build up on their border couldn't be allowed to continue. We also had a dozen biolabs in Ukraine. Why? Why have we spent the last twenty years trying to collect Slavic DNA? Russia has, rightly, been complaining about this for decades. We have, quite openly, been trying to develop bioweapons that can target specific ethnicities for decades. 
Ukraine's border with Russia is 1200 miles long and stretches right into the heart of the most populated areas of Russia. And we're building biolabs along it while collecting Russian DNA.
Putin has behaved rationally and reasonably here. He's hardly a good person but he isn't in the wrong here. And btw most of the world supports him not us. We're just heavily propagandised in the West so we don't know that.
Russia has a legitimate and very serious national security concern in Ukraine. It's Putin's actual job to address that. 
You should have stopped at "I'm not an expert".