Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

All this fighting back by the Ukrainians must be pissing off @virginton and @Todd_is_God who wanted them to simply roll over and allow Russia to take their entire country without a gun being fired so that we could continue to have cheap energy bills. 😛

Yeah, no, that wasn't what I said at all, but it's nice you are thinking of me on a Saturday night.

On 09/08/2022 at 11:27, Todd_is_God said:

I was meaning a more neutral stance overall. Not supplying weapons to one side whilst sanctioning the other. That is not a neutral stance and also has no real bargaining power as you have already played your hand.

The arrogant West believed their sanctions would force Russia to quickly abandon hostilities, but that didn't work and the only real result is soaring domestic inflation caused by massive energy price increases.

It's in absolutely no-one's best interests to maintain this conflict, yet the deep rooted anti-Russian sentiment means the only option considered is to support Ukraine at all cost.

On 09/08/2022 at 11:35, Todd_is_God said:

This argument doesn't hold up as nobody gives a f**k when anyone else invades their neighbour.

How high are we, the public, prepared to allow our energy bills to climb for the sake of Ukraine?

On 09/08/2022 at 12:21, Todd_is_God said:

Firstly, that's not really our problem, is it? We wouldn't be yielding against Ukraine anyway - Regional conflicts in the former Soviet Bloc are not ours to police.

Secondly, you didn't answer the most important question as far as you or I are concerned - How high are we, the public, prepared to allow our energy bills to climb for the sake of Ukraine?

On 09/08/2022 at 12:38, Todd_is_God said:

Again, aside from being a ludicrously hypothetical scenario, this dodges the question.

How high are we, the public, prepared to allow our energy bills to climb for the sake of Ukraine?

£5k? £6k? £8k?

On 09/08/2022 at 12:59, Todd_is_God said:

I mean, pretty much everything I said about Covid restrictions ended up being correct so I'm not entirely sure what point you are trying to make here.

Massive Bigger Picture ≠ What looks good.

Ending the war in Ukraine ASAP is clearly what the preferred outcome for everyone is, so again I'm not sure what point you are making.

To use your analogy, though, Ukraine winning this war, and, in doing so, claiming back the territory it has lost is the new "Zero Covid".

8 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Yeah, no, that wasn't what I said at all, but it's nice you are thinking of me on a Saturday night.

I agree that wasn't the point you were making, apart, of course, that it repeatedly was.

I find the "for the sake of Ukraine" pretty distasteful. The Russians are raping, torturing, murdering and committing atrocities across swathes of the country but it doesn't matter because these people are Ukrainian? Away to f**k with that shite. 

2 hours ago, sophia said:

I agree that wasn't the point you were making, apart, of course, that it repeatedly was.

It's really not, though, is it? Whilst I genuinely do not really care who wins this war, my point has always been that I would have preferred if the West's intervention was to help find a way to end the war quickly, rather than prolong it and cause energy prices to sky rocket in the meantime.

3 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I'm not a military expert, but a tank regiment leaving all their tanks behind doesn't feel like an orderly, well managed withdrawal.

It doesn't make sense. They're not going to get a heroes welcome when they get back. I'd have risked changing sides and claiming to have captured the gear.

Russia appears to be completely withdrawing from Kharkiv oblast west of the Oskil river. That should mean the shelling of Ukraine's second largest city will now come to an end and life there can normalise to the extent it can right now anywhere in Ukraine:

Edited by LongTimeLurker

35 minutes ago, Stringer Bell said:

The Russian army just sacking it and retreating back to the pre war status quo is a hell of a result.

As long as de-nazification has occurred they will state it as a win...

19 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Great post, although I take it you meant Russia here? 

Yes, cheers.

The Russians have confirmed they are withdrawing from all of Kharkiv Oblast, aside from The area east of the Oskol river.

This means the Kharkiv counter offensive has liberated 8300 square kilometres of territory in less than a week.

29 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Does this war end with Russians just going back to Russia, never acknowledging that there was a war or that they got their balls chewed off?

Or, does this invasion end with a re-bound and the further break-up of Putin's Nationalist Russian state?

He set out to "regain" lost land from the former Russian Empire but could end up wrecking what's left of it. After all the military has been weakened already and there will be more damage if the West  continues to support the Ukraine in its' efforts to clear out the Russian military AND the activist Russians from Donbas and elsewhere. Will some groups in Russia lose their fear/respect and fight for freedom? It happened in the recent past with lots of new nations emerging which seem happy to continue in their independent ways.

There's been reference on these threads about who runs Russia with mentions of the influence of a Mafia or Mafias. Inter Mafia warfare has happened before e.g. in the US. They hold no loyalty to anyone or anything so that could be another point of weakness. Could the apparent failings in the Ukraine spark a huge internal power struggle?

Good Ol' Vlad. Nice work!