Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

A holiday in Kazakhstan sounds intriguing though. What are the tourist attractions there?

I've seen they have a be part of the space program tour where your basically giving an all access tour except wearing the astronauts underwear. Also remember Simon Reeve visiting and saying the roadway verges were full of hash plants. My cousin done the Stans a couple o years ago and said it was well worth it. Her and her man done Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan and really enjoyed it. Thinking of doing overland from Asia to Europe this winter as a pretty much last hurrah so would be interested in visiting. Had tickets to do the Trans Siberian but got cancelled due to covid but Russia being c***s has kiboshed that so a tour of central Asia into Eurasia is a good option for me.

6 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

I've seen they have a be part of the space program tour where your basically giving an all access tour except wearing the astronauts underwear.

Saw a snippet of An Idiot Abroad last night where he got to go on the whirly G simulator and got offered a ride on a zero g vomit comet plane, but he failed the medical or bottled it, wasn't clear. Far more than you'd get in Florida anyway and they'd probably let you get a lot closer than 10 miles away from a launch.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Saw a snippet of An Idiot Abroad last night where he got to go on the whirly G simulator and got offered a ride on a zero g vomit comet plane, but he failed the medical or bottled it, wasn't clear. Far more than you'd get in Florida anyway and they'd probably let you get a lot closer than 10 miles away from a launch.

Aye it was some English guy doing the whole space experience, was interesting till he decided to swim in a radioactive lake as Kazakhstan had the highest level of land based detonated nukes.

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

....I’m don’t think the Russian Army would be told to fight the way the Soviet and then Germans were at Stalingrad. I don’t know if they could do it even if they were.

Water supply to Crimea is on the line at Nova Kakhovka. Don't think they will leave as quickly and easily as they did from around Kyiv because of how important that is for Putin to be able to claim some form of victory. It was just a feint would be more difficult to sell in this context because people know Putin was serious about wanting "Novorossiya" to return to his reich back in 2014 after Yanukovych fled.

A holiday in Kazakhstan sounds intriguing though. What are the tourist attractions there?
I've been a couple of times on holiday. There are lots of stunningly beautiful areas near the Chinese border, Shymkent is a lovely city, plenty going on in Almaty, Lake Balkhash has a certain je ne sais quois.

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Hints from Ukrainian officials that they're planning more of a siege of Kherson rather than a rapid attack, cutting them off from the South Eastern side of the river and slowly grinding them down. 

Given how vulnerable tanks, fighter planes and helicopters appear to be to shoulder-fired missiles I doubt we'll be seeing any rapid WWII style advances any time soon now the element of surprise has completely gone.

A rapid attack is probably as likely to go as well for the Ukrainians right now as the Battle of the Somme did for the 36th Ulster Division with tanks and aircraft largely out of the picture and the Russians still not running out of armaments or willing manpower yet.

The Ukrainians do appear to be taking some villages and that's probably as good as it gets for them until the problem of supplying across the Dniepr more severely imits what the Russians are able to do. Post stuff like this not because I'm sure I'm right about it but to see if anyone can tell me why I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Given how vulnerable tanks, fighter planes and helicopters appear to be to shoulder-fired missiles I doubt we'll be seeing any rapid WWII style advances any time soon now the element of surprise has completely gone.

Don’t mistake the easy kills on Russian tanks for a lesson other than the need for infantry support. Many of the videos shown of Russian tanks “popping their tops” simply showed that the Russians had little to no infantry support deployed to support the armor. That just lets Dzhon Smit loose an anti-tank round from close range, with crippling effectiveness. If the combined arms playbook was followed, old Dzhon wouldn’t have been able to get close enough to those convoys, etc, due to infantry moving on, and protecting, the flanks.

Secondly, the steady attrition of the Russian air defence units by AGM-88’s now being used by the Ukrainians hurts your argument about planes and helos, but those aren’t the shoulder-fired units you refer to. In the shoulder-fired category, there is a very limited engagement range (8 km and 3,500 m for the Stinger) that generally limits their use to against very low flying ground attack aircraft, helos and drones. We’ve seen very little evidence of either side using low flying ground attack aircraft, and the videos of dosing helos were from early in the war, so probably the primary use of Stingers and such has been anti drone.

Having noted that, the use of drones and precision artillery has pretty much done what you suggest and slowed attacks.

Edited by TxRover

14 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

You think most of the temporary closures and cuts in volume weren't planned in advance for leverage against sanctions and military aid to Ukraine? Like all the military exercises planned ages ago in Belarus and Eastern Russia for January and February?