Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

On 11/08/2022 at 21:33, jagfox said:

lol wut 

The West abandoned the premise of a social contract back in the 1980s, and 'consumer opportunities' is literally the only thing keeping neoliberalism going. The US bankrupts people for routine medical treatment medical and is restricting the right to birth control. The dirty secret is that Putin and the West are two cheeks of the same arse in their economic outlook. Russians deserve better - and we deserve better too. 

Bonus points for the concern about remote provinces freezing and opportunities being reduced for the masses- I'm sure that Tory Britain will ensure that doesn't happen to millions this winter!

45 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

???

Has something happened to this thread or am I imagining that several posts have disappeared?

It was me. I'm writing a book on modern military strategy. The only problems is I know fuçk all about it, so I've taken the posts from here to start me off.

The Russian MoD has said that their forces have taken Pisky, a settlement held by the Ukrainians since 2014 near Donetsk. This has been claimed before but not verified, seems like there might be more to this claim. If true, the first settlement capture in several weeks.

The Ukrainians appear to be saying otherwise. Think you'll find the Russians have captured some other settlements in the Donbas over the last few weeks particularly close to Bakhmut after a power plant they had been going after for months finally fell to them. Meanwhile in Kherson the Russian commanders are reported to have moved to the east bank of the Dniepr now that all the bridges are down. We'll soon find out if makeshift ferries are enough to keep a large number of troops supplied to the west of the Dniepr:

On 11/08/2022 at 20:49, oaksoft said:

It's interesting to see the posters who were very vocally critical of Ukraine for using housing estates and schools to fire rockets from, strangely silent over Russia using a nuclear power station to fire rockets from.

Think you'll find the Russians have captured some other settlements in the Donbas over the last few weeks particularly close to Bakhmut after a power plant they had been going after for months finally fell to them.  

Bakhmut got me out of some tough jams in Final Fantasy VII.

On 06/08/2022 at 11:05, The Other Foot said:

Can some of the Amnesty supporters please give examples of the schools in question, and whether or not they are even being used as schools at present? I’m honestly not denying the veracity of this report, but Amnesty have been wrong on MANY occasions and are not particularly well-liked within the NGO community (speaking as someone who has been within that community) 

I usually take anything Amnesty says with a pinch of salt.

On 06/08/2022 at 14:25, The Other Foot said:

Fuckin hell. For years I’ve thought @virginton was one of the alright posters on this site and now he’s only gone and went full Alex Jones 

There's nothing easier got than a disappointment...

On 09/08/2022 at 11:27, Todd_is_God said:

I was meaning a more neutral stance overall. Not supplying weapons to one side whilst sanctioning the other. That is not a neutral stance and also has no real bargaining power as you have already played your hand.

The arrogant West believed their sanctions would force Russia to quickly abandon hostilities, but that didn't work and the only real result is soaring domestic inflation caused by massive energy price increases.

It's in absolutely no-one's best interests to maintain this conflict, yet the deep rooted anti-Russian sentiment means the only option considered is to support Ukraine at all cost.

The other option is to let Russia win. (The whole of Ukraine, not just the bits they have seized previously and the now conquered bits.)

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

The other option is to let Russia win. (The whole of Ukraine, not just the bits they have seized previously and the now conquered bits.)

Well no, there's quite clearly a range of outcomes rather than a binary choice. The idea that the Russians are about to waltz into Lviv remains utter nonsense. 

On 09/08/2022 at 20:52, Newbornbairn said:

Talking of Poland, did anyone notice them buying 1000 tanks, 48 4th gen fighters and nearly 700 howitzers from South Korea the other day?  

I wondered what was going on at Mid Ulster Auctions...