Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

23 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
15 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:
Every Turkish demand fully conceded to them. Very disappointing.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/28/turkey-lifts-objections-to-finland-and-swedens-nato-bid

I don't think Turkey's main demands were controversial at all.

Depends what the deal is on extradition. Hopefully it's vague enough to ignore for political refugees once both countries are solidly within NATO and Erdogan has lost his leverage.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:
17 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:
Every Turkish demand fully conceded to them. Very disappointing.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/28/turkey-lifts-objections-to-finland-and-swedens-nato-bid

I don't think Turkey's main demands were controversial at all.

I view Turkey as a menace to its own population (both Turks and Kurds), to northern Syria, to Armenia and to Kurdish emigrant populations in Europe. Sweden have been one of few dissenting voices against Turkey and that dissent will now end. 

There's been a prisoner exchange, 144 prisoners from each side swapped in Zaphorizhzhia.  Around 100 Ukrainians captured in Azovstal in Mariupol were among those swapped.  The three foreign born Ukrainian Marines who have been sentenced to death were not included in this exchange.

I view Turkey as a menace to its own population (both Turks and Kurds), to northern Syria, to Armenia and to Kurdish emigrant populations in Europe. Sweden have been one of few dissenting voices against Turkey and that dissent will now end. 

I'm with you on that, but you can't expect to join an alliance when you're arming people fighting your would-be allies.

2 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Can't find it now but it was a Twitter thread by some OSINT guys using satellite and other images vs the pictures that showed the explosion/smoke cloud

I've tried having a search and I can only find people countering those claims. I'd say the evidence out there seems pretty conclusive they struck a mall with civilians in it. 

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2022/06/29/russias-kremenchuk-claims-versus-the-evidence/

2 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I've tried having a search and I can only find people countering those claims. I'd say the evidence out there seems pretty conclusive they struck a mall with civilians in it. 

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2022/06/29/russias-kremenchuk-claims-versus-the-evidence/

Fair play, maybe it's moved on since I saw it but there's some info in there which I hadn't seen, which seems to be pretty definitive that one of the strikes was either a direct hit or as good as. Previously looked like a fire had started after (to be fair still as a result of) the strikes. Maybe I can't find the thing I saw because they've retracted. Cheers

17 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Fair play, maybe it's moved on since I saw it but there's some info in there which I hadn't seen, which seems to be pretty definitive that one of the strikes was either a direct hit or as good as. Previously looked like a fire had started after (to be fair still as a result of) the strikes. Maybe I can't find the thing I saw because they've retracted. Cheers

This is pretty detailed, short version of Bellingcat.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/29/evidence-contradicts-russian-claims-about-kremenchuk-mall-attack

Edited by welshbairn

The evidence that a missile strike hit the mall is pretty clear. There is literally video of the missile hitting the place.

The obese general story is likely spurious, a bit of tabloid nonsense. There doesn’t seem to be any details on the guy,  or even a first name. Probably some local dignitary wearing fatigues to support the troops and got photographed. I like him though, General Pavel should take over when Putin gets merked.

Edited by ICTChris

Snake Island was hit by Ukraine again last night. Today the Russian MoD have released a statement saying that they had completed all their tasks and were withdrawing from the territory, as a gesture of goodwill and to demonstrate to the international community that they aren’t responsible for the impending food crisis.

When Russian retreated from Kyiv they said something similar, ‘this is a goodwill gesture’. Seems likely the Russians have given up on holding the island after repeated drone and missile attacks.