Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

1 minute ago, WTF said:

So you think right wingers are decent? Well Jimmy Johnstone was. But don't you mean Tory scum?

Are you saying you're indecent or that the Daily Telegraph is left wing?

9 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

This could be significant:

Yeah, the HIMARS system should give Ukraine the ability to smash up Russian supply lines pretty nicely, and enable larger counter attacks. It's far, far superior to any of the Russian developed Rocket Artillery on both sides.

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Are you saying you're indecent or that the Daily Telegraph is left wing?

Why do you copy me? I suppose it's the sincerest form flattery, but I didn't mention "indecent" I've never read the Daily Telegraph so I don't know what it is. Are you a keen reader of the Telegraph?

You come across as a separatist. Don't let your fellow cybernats know how kinky you are, reading the Telegraph really an English paper, they'll sine die you.

Biden seems to suddenly be losing his reticence about giving our pierogi eating opponents from this evening the weapons they need:

Given the timing maybe this is mainly about providing the coordinates for MLRS missiles to strike deep behind enemy lines?

12 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Biden seems to suddenly be losing his reticence about giving our pierogi eating opponents from this evening the weapons they need:

Given the timing maybe this is mainly about providing the coordinates for MLRS missiles to strike deep behind enemy lines?

Ukraine should just go to Asda in Texas and buy the drones there.

Russia has said that a National Guard commander was killed in fighting with Ukrainian troops, including Ben Grant, who is the son of MP Helen Grant and is fighting as part of the Ukrainian Foreign Legion.

The footage is here, I think.

On 01/06/2022 at 08:58, ICTChris said:

Kind of related, Denmark is voting today on whether to opt-in to EU defence and security policies.  They tend to vote No on EU things but wouldn't be surprised if this passes.

27 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

I would like to see the building standards data on Russian properties. Seems a lot are going up in smoke recently.

I guess it could be a combination of several things:

- Enemy action, ie Ukrainian teams blowing things up inside Russia.  That might explain damage to railway lines near the border or the rocket and helicopter attacks on military installations but doubtful that it explains some of the fires and explosions deep inside Russia.

- Sanctions causing maintenance issues.  Lots of Russian industry relies on Western imports and the suspension of these through sanctions and divestment could have an impact on safety.  

- Overwork.  Some Russian military installations and factories have had accidents, fires etc.  It's likely that huge demand is being placed on them due to the war which could in turn lead to corners being cut etc.

- Sabotage by domestic groups.  There have been a number of attacks on army recruitment centres throughout Russia.  Here is a map of them

There have been videos of anarchist groups burning down military centres released via social media as well.  Not outside the realms of possibility that some of these groups could have sabotaged a factory or other building.

- Visibility bias.  I'm sure this has a proper name but before the war, who cared if a factory in Siberia had a fire?  I'm sure these things happened fairly regularly but went unremarked upon.  Now with the war, they are publicised much more.  Given the general impoverishment of much of Russia and the endemic corruption and graft in the country corner cutting on safety is an issue and accidents happen.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/02/russia-economic-war-ukraine-food-fuel-price-vladimir-putin

Still, the most important thing is that we didn't 'appease like Hitler!!!!' - even if the West paid little attention to either the effectiveness or the global consequences of that action. 

This is setting up a plausible template that China can use if (when) it wants to make a serious move on Taiwan.

- Stockpile hard currency and other goods before military action to limit the fallout of sanctions.

- Make sure the rest of the world is beholden to your primary goods. 

- Watch as the developing world refuse to take sides and the West's policies backfire on their own governments. 

While Russia is a nick of a country and so will suffer significant pain itself, China can actually equip itself to win an economic war with the West. But still, at least Ukraine got Eurovision. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/02/russia-economic-war-ukraine-food-fuel-price-vladimir-putin

Still, the most important thing is that we didn't 'appease like Hitler!!!!' - even if the West paid little attention to either the effectiveness or the global consequences of that action. 

This is setting up a plausible template that China can use if (when) it wants to make a serious move on Taiwan.

- Stockpile hard currency and other goods before military action to limit the fallout of sanctions.

- Make sure the rest of the world is beholden to your primary goods. 

- Watch as the developing world refuse to take sides and the West's policies backfire on their own governments. 

While Russia is a nick of a country and so will suffer significant pain itself, China can actually equip itself to win an economic war with the West. But still, at least Ukraine got Eurovision. 

Surely you aren't suggesting that, hot on the heels of two years worth of largely useless, economically disastrous restrictions for covid, fuelled by the need to be seen to be "doing something" we have launched straight into an indefinite period of largely useless, economically disastrous sanctions on Russia, fuelled by the need to be seen to be "doing something"...?