Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

23 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

And that's why I will be supporting Eintracht Frankfurt tomorrow

My wifi speakers were made in Germany and that's why I will be supporting Eintracht Frankfurt tomorrow.

9 hours ago, ICTChris said:

There have been prisoner swaps already in the war, quite a few.

Also, the guy speaking in that Russian TV clip is an ex officer who wrote an article pre invasion that pretty well predicted what would happen.

Yeah, he wrote the following piece at the start of February.

Predictions of bloodthirsty political scientists print version Discuss on the forum About enthusiastic hawks and hasty cuckoos  Mikhail Khodarenok

Definitely worth a read if you haven't already.

Edited by jagfox

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/16/putin-involved-russia-ukraine-war-western-sources

Claims are that Putin is involving himself at battalion or brigade level decisions. Its not "unprecedented" but its rare and almost always catastrophic. Russia's failures at all levels are widely reported. This just adds fuel to the dumpster fire of those failures. Commanders on the ground are supposed to have a lot of discretion on how they carry out the objectives. They are supposed to be professionals who communicate with their superiors and juniors to build a tactical and operational level understanding of the task and the tools available to execute it. To have someone from thousands of kilometres away, with zero experience of military affairs directing units this small is all kinds of insane. 

Nearly 3 months in and the levels of incompetence of the Russians still has the ability to surprise me. 

12 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

And that's why I will be supporting Eintracht Frankfurt tomorrow

I’ll be supporting them because I hate Rangers*

3 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

To be fair, that might be what the cockroaches fight WW4 with.

FTFY 

Possibly giving the Russians too much credit here, but I had lazily assumed that there would be a deal struck prior to their surrender for their safety.....

I think its quite apparent now those in the steelworks were willing to lay down their lives. Why pull them and allow the Russian redeployment which was prevented by the Azovstal stand off?

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Possibly giving the Russians too much credit here, but I had lazily assumed that there would be a deal struck prior to their surrender for their safety.....

I think its quite apparent now those in the steelworks were willing to lay down their lives. Why pull them and allow the Russian redeployment which was prevented by the Azovstal stand off?

Easy for you to say m8.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Easy for you to say m8.

My point is, surely the Ukranians didn't give up the last of Mariupol just to allow the Russians to make a show of executing these guys? It all seems very strange unless the Azov commanders asked Zelensky to do the best he could as they had reached the point where they had to stop.