Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

5 minutes ago, The DA said:

NATO's doctrine was developed for this kind of armour-heavy warfare.

Correct. NATO doctrine was applied in both thd Gulf War and the Iraq War both led to overwhelming victories - at least during the conventional phase of those conflicts. 

Attempts to conflate the difficulties and failures associated with asymmetric warfare with the kind of armoured peer to peer warfare that is currently happening in Ukraine and that the West trains and equips for makes no sense.

Just now, Detournement said:

No NATO country has launched a ground offensive against a functioning military since the early 70s. It's all hot air. 

Iraq had something like the world's 4th largest army going into the Gulf War.

8 minutes ago, renton said:

Iraq had something like the world's 4th largest army going into the Gulf War.

He'll say they weren't a 'functioning military'.  The old No True Scotsman fallacy.

1 minute ago, The DA said:

He'll say they weren't a 'functioning military'.  The old No True Scotsman fallacy.

The battle hardened Iraq army that had recently ended a war with Iran where their last offensive basically led to a stalemate after the Iranians had bodied them for a few years.

That non-functioning military?

5 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Saw a 4 engined jet pass over at quite a height last night going west to east which i immediately thought quite odd for commercial traffic

Turned out to be a USAF C17 Globemaster 

I tracked it on flightradar and it landed at Rzeszow in poland near the Ukraine Border 

I wonder what the cargo was  ?

Rzeszów is a large base and there are dozens of flights heading there from across the globe everyday. 

This guys logs most of them. Latest one is a smaller Spanish plane.

17 hours ago, Detournement said:

It seems to rely on an imaginary standard of what Russia should have achieved that has no connection to reality. That the assessment largely seems to be coming from a country who's most recent military achievements are getting routed in Helmand and Basra just makes it comical. 

😂😂😂

In case you're wondering,I'm laughing at you,not with you

There are lots of rumours about another Russian Navy ship having been hit by anti-ship missiles.  The Admiral Makarov is a new frigate, completed in 2017.  Ukrainian sources are saying that it's on fire off the coast of Odessa.  No photos or footage or confirmation yet.

Some observers are saying that the satellite imagery of the area contradicts claims of a major hit, fire or sinking. Will have to wait and see. Currently doubtful. 

35 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Some observers are saying that the satellite imagery of the area contradicts claims of a major hit, fire or sinking. Will have to wait and see. Currently doubtful. 

Starting to see reports sneaking into the mainstream that it has been hit. Not much different to whats been said on here, and I wont link the last one I seen since it was the Daily Express.....