Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

"Control over the south of Ukraine is another way out to Transnistria, where there are also facts of oppression of the Russian-speaking population," Minnekaev said.

Transnistria that is run by Russian speakers and has Russian troops permanently stationed?

https://www.interfax.ru/world/837353

The Commanding Officer of the unit whose soldiers were stationed in Bucha when the massacre took place has been killed.

I misread the tweet, he has been given a medal, not killed.

Edited by ICTChris

27 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

This guy? Lt Colonel Azatbek Omurbekov, nowt online about his death.

Lieutenant Colonel Azatbek Omurbekov is a commanding officer in the Russian army involved in the Bucha massacre

I misread the tweet, I thought he’d been named as killed turns out he’d been named as a hero of the operation.

Russia Vox Pops asking questions about Bucha:

The 1420 channel quoted above have said the Rosgvardia are patrolling the shops and universitys where they normally do interviews. Students who have previously done interviews are being called into the uni's head office and told not to participate in them anymore.

Ah well. This was expected I guess.
I did like having the chance to listen to some average Russian city folk talk politics. Hopefully they can keep the channel going but presumably it'll be pretty difficult from now on.

On 21/04/2022 at 20:28, Boo Khaki said:

in the sail that the divers can access from the outside.

Have they got that in case they run out of petrol?

14 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I misread the tweet, I thought he’d been named as killed turns out he’d been named as a hero of the operation.

g3pfxewucs541.png

Reports that two more Russian generals have been killed in Kherson in a strike on a command and control post.

Some of the drones and loitering munitions that have been provided or pledged to Ukraine can be particularly effective at attacking command posts. The reports of more dead generals could be hype and could be nothing to do with the new weapons of course.

Regarding new weapons, the tanks provided by Slovakia and Czechia are now in use in the Donbas. The US DoD have said that Ukraine now have more tanks in Ukraine than Russia.

13 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Reports that two more Russian generals have been killed in Kherson in a strike on a command and control post.

Some of the drones and loitering munitions that have been provided or pledged to Ukraine can be particularly effective at attacking command posts....

Think the city of Kherson and especially its airport is still in range of conventional artillery and the Ukrainians have mainly used drones for accurate targeting in that context.

Don't think it's clear yet how big a target the Phoenix Ghost drones can take out because the drone needs to be relatively small to remain undetected.

If it can successfully take out artillery pieces, tanks and train locomotives at night with a 6 hour loitering time the Russians will have a major problem but that remains to be see.

Do the more informed folks in this thread think the rearming of the Ukrainian army with fresh supply of tanks etc is for the Ukrainians to mount a counter attack on their lost territory or is it to defend from the Russians expanding out?  

obviously the clear agenda from the western nations is to give the Russians a bloody nose without direct involvement but I’m wondering what the Ukrainian plan is?