Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

18 minutes ago, bennett said:

Maybe we could loan them a couple of Lancasters.

I doubt it, the "Upkeep" of these planes is too expensive just to "Chastise" the Russians

I'll get my coat.😅

Edited by budmiester1
added crap reference

6 hours ago, Fullerene said:

It is incredibly difficult to invade an island.  See the UK in WW2, as well as various islands in the Pacific War.  Hitler gave up - too much effort with too little to gain.

By comparison, the European plain is "Great tank country" as some enthusiasts would say.

It is easy to invade Russia and conquer a lot of territory.  Holding on to it is the fiddly bit.

The puzzle is why Russia thinks anybody wants to invade Russia.  NATO countries would not dare and similarly non-NATO countries.

I've seen a few different Cold War documentaries mention that the Americans changed their mentality towards Russia sometime after Reagan took office. Supposedly they'd always assumed the Russian propaganda about the bellicose Yanks was just to put the shits up their own people, but Reagan's team started to realise that the Russian high command genuinely believed that an all-out nuclear attack from the US was a genuine possibility, despite the inevitable consequences.

Funny, considering anyone over 35 will likely remember the image of the cold, dispassionate Soviets, ready to turn our cities to glass at a moment's notice.

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Deutschland 83 was based very loosely on something that actually happened.

Not seen it (but soon will), but I assume that's about the NATO exercises that the Russians decided were a ruse to cover an imminent nuclear attack.

IIRC, the Yanks had no idea that, for some time, Russia had been operating under the assumption that a nuclear attack would likely begin with fake military exercises of the type that were taking place  :lol:

6 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Was about Able Archer with events shown from an East German perspective. Well worth a watch.

It's on the download list  :thumsup2

18 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

He also seems to have been seriously out to lunch on how EU leaders would react to him going all 1930s over the very existence of a sovereign state right on their doorstep, because if the EU phase out Russian fossil fuel purchases then the entire system he has built will collapse. The violent overthrow of the Ukrainian state was never likely to instill confidence in Russia as a reliable business partner, so how he thought it could be business as usual in the aftermath is beyond me.

Putin is a poker player, rather than a 'strategic genius.

And the Russian attitude to sanctions , or at least the attitude of powerful and wealthy Russians, is/has been....

".....  We know sanctions. We just sit them out, and eventually the foreign businesses come creeping back..."

Edited by beefybake

Agree about that being the probable mentality but the thing is that the heavy reliance on Russian fossil fuels was a choice arrived at for political expediency rather than out of any real necessity so there's no guarantee they are going to come creeping back now. I would be amazed if Nord Stream II does anything other than rust in the years ahead.

If the Germans had simply kept their nuclear plants operating to the end of their intended operational life and built a few more in recent years they could have easily avoided the mess they are now in where staying warm next winter is concerned. The only reason for using gas to the extent that they do was to appease the Greens by using it to back up all their wind farms. Even with gas if the EU had simply followed through with the Nabucco pipeline it would have been a lot easier to impose a gas embargo on Russia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nabucco_pipeline

The only real problem the EU faces is how to get through next winter if Vlad turns off the taps but even then FSRU ships can help make additional LNG supplies from the US, Qatar and maybe even Australia doable. In the medium to long term there are plenty of alternatives on energy supply that can and almost certainly will happen now

Edited by LongTimeLurker

15 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I see that Russia has banned BoJo and 12 ministers from Russia. 

That's like banning me from a Celtic supporters' AGM or a vegan lunch club. 

Nicola Sturgeon has also been sanctioned by Russia.