Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

7 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

That fekkin ship going down is about the only thing distracting me from the Rangers re-runs at the moment. 

Wonder if the Americans were winding up the Russians by saying  the Moscow (why are media outlets suddenly using Moskva but only in this context?) was making its way back to Sevastopol under its own steam.

The morse code message from the ship said it was sinking and it wasn't just the Ukrainians saying it had sunk not long after the explosion. The Romanians and Turks were as well apparently who presumably would be monitoring closely as Black Sea states.

Think this story although very symbolic may be distracting attention from an even bigger development yesterday:

NATO nations seem to always say what they are thinking about sending first probably as a way to see how Putin responds.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

6 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Wasn't there some bollox about if "war" was declared it would have exposed the Government or insurance companies to financial loss, whereas "Falklands Conflict" didn't? Can't remember the details, TBH. 

My lasting unusual memory of the Falklands time was some knobhead in the bar of the Columba Hotel in Inverness lording it getting free drinks for recounting his experiences on the Islands beforehand until some guy opined that the "expert" had never been south of Perth. Atmosphere got a bit tense... 

Apparently it wasn't classed as a war because neither side formally declared war.  I've never declared war on anyone so wouldn't know how to formally do so but nowadays there's probably some online portal to do it.  

3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Apparently it wasn't classed as a war because neither side formally declared war.  I've never declared war on anyone so wouldn't know how to formally do so but nowadays there's probably some online portal to do it.  

I think you need to put an announcement in the Evening Telegraph (p12).

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I think you need to put an announcement in the Evening Telegraph (p12).

I'm on it.

I've just declared war on Perth - it'll be in Monday's edition so keep it between us until then.

I'm on it.
I've just declared war on Perth - it'll be in Monday's edition so keep it between us until then.
Falkirk and Fife have technically remained at War for several decades, but a red hotline type phone exists between East End Park and Falkirk Stadium to facilitate the safe passage of jobber footballers between them.

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
31 minutes ago, hk blues said:
I'm on it.

Falkirk and Fife have technically remained at War for several decades, but a red hotline type phone exists between East End Park and Falkirk Stadium to facilitate the safe passage of jobber footballers between them.

Which would win in a fist-fight though?  Fife would have the upper hand obviously, with them having the extra finger.  

Truly magnificent stuff from the Russians here 😂

"While being towed... towards the destined port, the vessel lost its balance due to damage sustained in the hull as fire broke out after ammunition exploded. Given the choppy seas, the vessel sank," the Russian defence ministry said"

53 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Season 4 Episode 6 GIF by The Office

18 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Russian jets bombed all over Ukraine last night don't think they were  too chuffed about the boat that honestly wasn't sunk by Ukraine 

Seems they're fabricating some nonsense about Ukraine attacking inside Russia as well. 

18 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Seems they're fabricating some nonsense about Ukraine attacking inside Russia as well. 

Think the Ukrainians may well have attacked the Belgorod oil depot. It's fair game under the circumstances and fits with what they are trying to do prevent resupply of the Izium bridgehead.

17 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

I think Russia is just angry that Ukrainians don't just die and how dare they fight back. 

I was thinking back to primary school and the reaction of the local bully when someone fought back. He took a liberty with some random wee guy one day who skelped him back a beauty, causing said bully to instantly burst into tears. From that moment on, the myth of his invincibility and impregnability was destroyed and he was a laughing stock.

And that's Russia at the moment. The wee guy that was supposed to just roll over and take it didn't, and it's exposing the myth of their might. Their military frankly isn't any good - they're badly trained, badly-led, badly supplied and are using 1940s tactics along with 1980s technology for the most part - when it comes down to it they're only any use for terrorising civilians and indiscriminately lobbing ordnance.

11 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

They are full-time professional sailors, but that doesn't mean that they will all be in favour of embarking on some despot's idea of a genocide dressed up as a denazification. If you watched the Russian soldiers captured in the early days who were interviewed on camera, it's obvious they realised pretty damned quickly that they've been led up the garden path.

If I didn't want to be led up the garden path by a madman or kill for a rich mans ideologies I probably wouldn't join the army or the navy.