Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

Anyone in Russia who follows the whole "you're legally not allowed to call this a war" is an absolute moron. If you're restricted free speech, use your brain ffs. I'm sure many Russians realise this but the amount who don't? Fucking hell. 

1 hour ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

There have been far worse ways to die during this conflict. These guys signed up for duty.

I can’t even begin to imagine how it must be to be a Ukrainian farmer who is tortured, then have to watch while your wife and daughters are raped and then killed in front of your eyes before being executed.

They are full-time professional sailors, but that doesn't mean that they will all be in favour of embarking on some despot's idea of a genocide dressed up as a denazification. If you watched the Russian soldiers captured in the early days who were interviewed on camera, it's obvious they realised pretty damned quickly that they've been led up the garden path.

I don't see how being on the 'wrong' side of a conflict instigated by a madman makes anyone's death any less sad or pointless. It isn't a game of top-trumps when it comes to casualties. It's all absolutely needless, and every person killed, regardless of how, by who, or for whatever reason, is nothing to be happy about.

5 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Quite a few are conscripts, no?

I could be absolutely wrong here, but I'd hazard a guess that in the particular case of the Moskva, no, because Russian national service is only mandatory for one year, and generally speaking armed forces the world over don't bother putting conscripted soldiers into technical roles, or on pieces of advanced kit where they are going to require a degree of training, when they know the bulk of them will f**k off back to civvy street after one year.

Definitely none in the Sub service. They cut down from three full-time crews per boat to two years and years ago, but those guys are all full pro sailors.

10 minutes ago, red23 said:

Well one thing is for sure i can see this getting worse before it gets better......

You could say that about any thread TBF.

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Anyone in Russia who follows the whole "you're legally not allowed to call this a war" is an absolute moron. If you're restricted free speech, use your brain ffs. I'm sure many Russians realise this but the amount who don't? Fucking hell. 

The Falklands War was never a war until it was over.

1 minute ago, Fullerene said:

The Falklands War was never a war until it was over.

Wasn't there some bollox about if "war" was declared it would have exposed the Government or insurance companies to financial loss, whereas "Falklands Conflict" didn't? Can't remember the details, TBH. 

My lasting unusual memory of the Falklands time was some knobhead in the bar of the Columba Hotel in Inverness lording it getting free drinks for recounting his experiences on the Islands beforehand until some guy opined that the "expert" had never been south of Perth. Atmosphere got a bit tense...