Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Joe Biden confirms the US will supply Ukraine with artillery systems and ammunition, armoured personnel carriers and helicopters.

In addition, there are reports a Russian navy cruiser has been hit by an anti-ship missile in the Black Sea. Could be one of the batch that the UK pledged during Johnson’s visit.

Is that sell or donate?

2 hours ago, bennett said:

We're surely not giving them harpoons,  that's just taking the P.

Inititially I was sceptical, not least because I don't think we'd have the full ground launcher and fire control system just hanging around, and if we were going to reverse engineer any missile onto a ground launcher in short time, it'd be Brimstone - that'd be lethal to Russian armour.

Then again Harpoon is being allowed to phase out soon, and with a likely gap until whatever hypersonic weapon we replace it with towards the end of the decade.

So, good opportunity to get rid of everything that is near end of shelf life, which is basically what we seem to be doing now. Then re-stock from the special reserve budget without having to manage obsolescence costs across various platforms and fleets.

Edited by renton

3 hours ago, bennett said:

We're surely not giving them harpoons,  that's just taking the P.

4 minutes ago, renton said:

Inititially I was sceptical, not least because I don't think we'd have the full ground launcher and fire control system just hanging around, and if we were going to reverse engineer any missile onto a ground launcher in short time, it'd be Brimstone - that'd be lethal to Russian armour.

Then again Harpoon is being allowed to phase out soon, and with a likely gap until whatever hypersonic weapon we replace it with towards the end of the decade.

So, good opportunity to get rid of everything that is near end of shelf life, which is basically what we seem to be doing now. Then re-stock from the special reserve budget without having to manage obsolescence costs across various platforms and fleets.

Could be wrong, but I suspect Bennet might have been referring to traditional harpoons, the kind you snag whales with. :lol:

So according to Ukrainian and Russian media, the Flagship of the Russian Black Sea Fleet, the Slava- class Cruiser Moskva (Moscow) has been hit by missiles and suffered an ammunition explosion and has now been abandoned (read: likely sunk given current weather conditions) 

Russian Warship, Go f**k Yourself. 

3 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

So it's not only Soviet-era armour that's prone to ammunition cook-offs then :blink:

You look at pictures of those ships and there are these huge missile containers hanging on the outer edge of the deck. Really big pieces of kit: 5 tonnes total, 1 tonne high explosive warhead, 12 metres long and turbojet powered which presumably means liquid fuel rather than solid propellant (much more inflammable, Western Navies tend to avoid where possible) hit those and I guess you have a big boom...

Still though, fire control is one of those less exciting but utterly vital elements of design in a warship. After Sheffield, the UK got extremely serious about it. Doubt the Russians gave it the same amount of thought.

Edited by renton

12 minutes ago, renton said:

Still though, fire control is one of those less exciting but utterly vital elements of design in a warship. After Sheffield, the UK got extremely serious about it. Doubt the Russians gave it the same amount of thought.

Pity they didn't think about it for high flats.

2 hours ago, renton said:

You look at pictures of those ships and there are these huge missile containers hanging on the outer edge of the deck. Really big pieces of kit: 5 tonnes total, 1 tonne high explosive warhead, 12 metres long and turbojet powered which presumably means liquid fuel rather than solid propellant (much more inflammable, Western Navies tend to avoid where possible) hit those and I guess you have a big boom...

Soviet-era warships were assessed as being one-strike wonders - survive long enough to get your shot off.  Damage control was always secondary.  Western navies take a more balanced view.

26 minutes ago, The DA said:

Soviet-era warships were assessed as being one-strike wonders - survive long enough to get your shot off.  Damage control was always secondary.  Western navies take a more balanced view.

I've had a few shags like that.......

16 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

What are the predictions for the upcoming months? There seems to be a few folk that know a bit about this warfare business on here. I seen Zelensky has been asking for more arms from the west and now the Russians have regrouped in eastern Ukraine and supposedly resupplying for a further assault...

Don't claim to be a huge expert on this but if they couldn't take Kiev with the element of surprise it's difficult to believe that a blitzkrieg all the way through to Lviv is happening now. If the Ukrainians can get their economy to be somewhat functional again think that means this could potentially drag on for years. At that point a lot probably depends on how quickly Germany & co can be persuaded to stop buying Russian fossil fuels.