Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

1 hour ago, Lofarl said:

f**k me that hit me hard.

Noticeable that there were no kids saying thank you to the UK......pretty much as it would be so difficult to find any given safe refuge here.  Must be around 3 weeks since I registered for the Homes for Ukraine programme - other than an automatic confirmation email I have heard nothing at all.....anyone else registered and hearing if things are progressing?

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

What were they poisoned with? Pint of Carling?

The whole thing was probably more of a warning, that they can poison you wherever you are. If they wanted to kill them they would have done. When they knocked the boy off in Salisbury there was enough to kill several thousand folk.

Shiogu has given a statement, I assume to the Duma or a committee, saying that the first stages of the "special operation" are over and "now the focus is on the main goal, the liberation of Donbas".  There's some chatter about Russian forces attacking around the Donbas but progress is difficult to confirm.  there's also various reports that Mariupol has fallen but there isn't any confirmation and it's likely that the Ukrainian forces continue to resist there.

There are apparently signs of Russia troops withdrawing from some of their positions around Kyiv.  Ukraine are also counterattacking in the north and have retaken the city of Irpin, although these reports are often disputed.  Ukraine has also reported recaptured the city of Trostyanets in the Sumy region, which is an important supply point in the fighting around Sumy.

Edited by ICTChris

If they do come to a deal conceding the Donbas I don't think they should kick up too much of a fuss about whatever's left of Mariupol, let Russia pay to rebuild it. It's about 20 miles inside the pre 2014 Donetsk boundary. What will be interesting is how many choose to live in Russian controlled areas if there's freedom of movement, and if Russian speakers have changed their loyalties after not only the last month but the last 8 years of warfare.

image.png.5091595960656d8885605fd1582ea3a3.png

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If they do come to a deal conceding the Donbas I don't think they should kick up too much of a fuss about whatever's left of Mariupol, let Russia pay to rebuild it. It's about 20 miles inside the pre 2014 Donetsk boundary. What will be interesting is how many choose to live in Russian controlled areas if there's freedom of movement, and if Russian speakers have changed their loyalties after not only the last month but the last 8 years of warfare.

image.png.5091595960656d8885605fd1582ea3a3.png

If Ukraine lose the 2 end bits they should just claim Moldova to make up for it.

The whole thing was probably more of a warning, that they can poison you wherever you are. If they wanted to kill them they would have done. When they knocked the boy off in Salisbury there was enough to kill several thousand folk.

The boy survived the attempt.

The only suspected victim used it as a perfume.

8 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

The boy survived the attempt.

The only suspected victim used it as a perfume.

Oh well I stand corrected they had plenty and still mucked it up.

Reports that Russia has undertaken to scale back it's operations around Kyiv to increase trust and help increase the chances of a negotiated settlement.

Could be that the gains we've seen in recent days have been Russian troops already moving to pull out being pressured by Ukrainians.  It could also be that they are making this announcement as they think they are unable to hold the territory they've taken there.  I wonder how much of their forces from Kyiv or Kharkiv could be redployed easily to the Donbas.  There are so many 'don't knows' about the situation.

Edited to add, the statement of the Russian deputy defense minister

Due to the fact that negotiations over an agreement on Ukraine’s neutrality and non-nuclear status and security guarantees (for Ukraine) are moving into a practical stage, and taking into consideration the principles discussed during today’s meeting, the Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation has taken the decision to drastically reduce combat operations in the Kyiv and Chernihiv areas in order to boost mutual trust and create the necessary conditions for further negotiations and for the signing of the aforementioned agreement.

Alexander FominRussia's Deputy Defence Minister

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-60890199

Edited by ICTChris

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/28/the-drone-operators-who-halted-the-russian-armoured-vehicles-heading-for-kyiv

One week into its invasion of Ukraine, Russia massed a 40-mile mechanised column in order to mount an overwhelming attack on Kyiv from the north.

But the convoy of armoured vehicles and supply trucks ground to a halt within days, and the offensive failed, in significant part because of a series of night ambushes carried out by a team of 30 Ukrainian special forces and drone operators on quad bikes, according to a Ukrainian commander.