Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

32 minutes ago, renton said:

Well, I mean my point is that the West now places a premium on precise guided munitions for pretty much anything. Brimstone and Hellfire were designed from the bottom up with the concept of taking on massed tank formations with minimal man in the loop requirements.

Hell, even Western rocket systems are guided - the modern MLRS uses GPS and INS guidance, and in fact tube artillery is starting to use guided rounds - look at Excalibur or the Italian Vulcano rounds.

It makes a lot more sense in terms of concentrating the effect where you want it to go, as well as being able to use that effect far deeper into your opponent's territory. 

Dumb munitions are largely a false economy as set out on my example. Aircraft are still extremely expensive, using them to drop dumb bombs is risky for the aircraft in the first instance and riskier still if you didn't neutralise the thing you were trying to hit, as is often the case.

You clearly know your stuff, I'm probably basing my argument on the Iraq/Kuwait war where we were assured everything was smart bombs when the vast majority weren't. Assuming you're right and I don't doubt it, Mosul must have cost billions.

image.thumb.png.2e3b731c2654b2638e183e878cf9ff05.png

3 hours ago, virginton said:

The idea that dropping bombs or launching drone strikes from another continent is in any way more discriminate than field weapons (unless you think that all those Middle East wedding parties were the real targets all along) does not stand up to real world scrutiny. The international order has set rules to persuade itself that war is somehow a precise and manageable conflict. It isn't and never has been in modern history. 

What you are witnessing on TV is the grim reality of any urban conflict zone - whether it was caused by Western or non-Western forces is irrelevant. 

You can't make an omelet without breaking eggs...is the military term.

There are loads of examples of American charities and churches removing children from conflict and  disaster then exploiting them.
I don't think wondering what precautions the UK state is taking to protect 40 orphans is unreasonable. 
Why would it even cross your mind that this was a possible outcome. Utterly bizarre mindset. FWIW pretty sure the news just said they were in the care of Social Services and that was the reason they were not showing their faces.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Yes but he is also alleged by some people in Russia to have several body doubles that sometimes do his public appearances for him who have been given nickames like Udmurt or Kuchma based on what ethnic group or well known politician they are supposed to look like.

Probably bollocks but Russians seem to be willing to believe all kinds of weird and wonderful stuff about what their government gets up to. One thing I found interesting was that during a work related trip I made to Russia a few years back the Russians I was with appeared to be completely convinced that Stalin left Moscow when it almost fell to the Germans at the start of the war for a bunker in a city we were in called Samara and were discussing it like it was a generally known fact. To this day that's definitely not the official version of what happened that appears in the history books. When I pointed that out "nobody really knows for sure" was the response I got.

image.png.cc4fa589103c03d90f04f8c7e405bcad.png

AI says it's the same dude.

Why would it even cross your mind that this was a possible outcome. Utterly bizarre mindset. FWIW pretty sure the news just said they were in the care of Social Services and that was the reason they were not showing their faces.
The harder it is to sniff out real controversy, the more wild it will be when you fabricate it, IMO

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Do as I say and not as I do. 

"Look, my wife and I came to an agreement not to get involved in each other's business.  I have no involvement with her company whatsoever and likewise she is not even aware that I am Chancellor of the Exchequer.  I hope that answers your questions."

4 hours ago, Detournement said:

There are loads of examples of American charities and churches removing children from conflict and  disaster then exploiting them.

I don't think wondering what precautions the UK state is taking to protect 40 orphans is unreasonable. 

<<< drums fingers 

4 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Fair play to the foreigners who are signing up. I guess they’re getting paid though.

I doubt they are getting much. I can think of better ways to make money.

1 minute ago, Loonytoons said:
12 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Pretty much this. Anyone wanting to be a mercenary would be backing the other side.

Especially Americans or Brits, it's a gift to Russian propaganda.

15 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

They give you money and weapons then let you blow things up and shoot Russians. Living the dream man, living the dream.