Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

15 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

This was his take yesterday, definitely gonna be on his mind but he's got his no goes out there. 

Screenshot_20220321-185840.png

I think that was in the context of talking about Kiev, Kharkov and Mariupol, not necessarily Crimea, Donetsk and Luhansk. Letting them go would be part of a final deal, he's not going to give them up while Russia are bombing Odessa from ships in the Black Sea. 

4 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

If & when the Russians reach the Romanian/Hungarian/Slovakian/Polish borders, does that mean we get to blame Russia for not respecting NATO/failing to understand NATO/threatening NATO?

Ideally they stop before this and we would have less war rather than more

13 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

The VDV are just for show.  

Possibly - I read the thread on that subject and they have done some questionable things in the war. Despite that they are well trained and well equipped and then taking heavy casualties will have an impact on the war, or at least Russian battle plans.

5 hours ago, renton said:

No, using airborne forces to capture an airport only make sense if the intention is to to link them up rapidly with heavy ground forces... airborne forces have amazing strategic mobility (I.e. the ability to be moved rapidly into theatre and landed in a given location) but basically zero tactical mobility (lack of vehicles) and any heavy weaponry.

Therefore they can be used as shock troops or as a coup de main to capture significant objectives deep inside the enemy controlled territory, but require relief quickly or they will be subjected to defeat in detail by the defender's fire power which will quickly over match them.

Hence, unless they deliberately sent their paratroops into a death trap for shits and giggles, it is logical that the Russian intention was for their ground forces advancing out of Belarus to have covered the ground between them and the airbase in 12 to 24 hours.

I would say you are correct in this, you only have to look back at Operation Market Garden to see how easily it can go wrong.

21 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

If & when the Russians reach the Romanian/Hungarian/Slovakian/Polish borders, does that mean we get to blame Russia for not respecting NATO/failing to understand NATO/threatening NATO?

At the rate they're going and the losses they've incurred, it's a good 20 years before we have to worry about that.

35 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Possibly - I read the thread on that subject and they have done some questionable things in the war. Despite that they are well trained and well equipped and then taking heavy casualties will have an impact on the war, or at least Russian battle plans.

A very interesting topic, we probably will learn more about the perception v reality of them post war. 

47 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

A great loss to the human race, unfortunate for them to run into people who weren't afraid to fight back unlike the civvies they were used to pushing about

That's not happening. Their "mighty" military has shown up as a tinpot joke on the world stage.

On 20/03/2022 at 11:20, Moomintroll said:

What is your opinion on the matter then @Marshmallo

Nobody cares. Don’t try coax it out of him. 

On 20/03/2022 at 14:46, throbber said:

He’s basically acting like Putin and making a c**t of himself.

FTFY

On 20/03/2022 at 17:12, Marshmallo said:

He's my flatmate, so had shown him your DM at the time when we were watching the football in the living room. 

RIP Bonksy. 

C478C994-627E-4626-A200-AA124EF8B492.jpeg