Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

54 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Leaving the Wagner Group aside, there are many volunteer groups fighting on the separatist side in the Donbas who are far right extremists.  There are units of Russian neo-Nazis, various Cossack and Slavic extremists, as well as Serb Chetniks and Hungarian nationalists.  Some of the Russian leaders on the separatist side are also fairly extreme nationalists.  

The Azov Battalion is concerning - they and the other volunteer batallions arose out of the failure of the Ukrainian state in 2014.  I'm pretty sure that when the initial fighting began the Ukrainian Army was officially 200,000 strong but could only muster 5,000 troops who could fight.  The well trained troops, special operations forces etc, were spread out a lot of them doing security for government ministers and oligarchs and there were persistent issues with equipment, defections etc.  In the face of this, the only forces who would go and fight were militias, often privately funded by oligarchs or donations, and these pretty much all had elements of the far right, extreme nationalist groups in them.  Once the state reorganised itself it had to come up with a way to deal with these militias - do you disarm them and break them up, giving an advantage to the enemy on the battlefield and creating potential for violence if they resist disarmament?  Do you allow them to continue as they are, meaning there's a well armed ideologicially motivated group who could pose a threat to the state?  Or do you take the option that Ukraine took, which is to try and integrate them into the military structure and deal with them in that way.  Throught this they integrated these units into the command structure to try and control them.  Clearly that takes time and there are still far right sympathisers and supporters in the units.  While it's a tiny proporition of the Ukrainian army (900 Azov fighters out of 250,000 regular soldiers) it's a concern, it's a propaganda gift and I bet that there are people in Western police forces who are concerned about people going over to fight in the war and coming back radicalised by the far right.

I bet there are western police forces with more far right extremists

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

I think it is more that people are calling him out, rather than getting annoyed.

I personally find it hilarious. 

I get a lot from him, think its just his shtick. Asked him why in a dm once because i was curious and just got the exact same message back from bonksy so I dunno if its some kind of contemporary art thing. Anyway not gonna go on any further because beyond a slight curiosity im no bothered. 

I got back from Krakow this morning, it was terrible to see so many young woman with kids looking so lost. There seems to be a lot of help and a lot of different NGOs around. There was food kitchens and clothes/toy/pet food getting given out in the main station when I was passing through. Most seem to have 1 suitcase and each kid a small backpack. 

Edited by dirty dingus

5 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

What is your opinion on the matter then @Marshmallo, or would you rather just remain the vile bullying, manipulative coward that you clearly are.

Interesting claims coming from the clown who has been shrieking for people to be banned from the forum for their views on this very thread. 

5 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Did the wee coward red dot again without actually posting why?

Lol wut

Supposedly grown men demanding a written explanation for their shit posts being downvoted on the Internet. What a time to be alive. 

32 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

I got back from Krakow this morning, it was terrible to see so many young woman with kids looking so lost. There seems to be a lot of help and a lot of different NGOs around. There was food kitchens and clothes/toy/pet food getting given out in the main station when I was passing through. Most seem to have 1 suitcase and each kid a small backpack. 

Must be heartbreaking. 

48 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I get a lot from him, think its just his shtick. Asked him why in a dm once because i was curious and just got the exact same message back from bonksy so I dunno if its some kind of contemporary art thing. Anyway not gonna go on any further because beyond a slight curiosity im no bothered. 

He's my flatmate, so had shown him your DM at the time when we were watching the football in the living room. 

51 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Looks like he’s bothered though.