Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

21 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Russia want the Chinese to sell them military ration packs.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/14/politics/us-china-russia-ukraine/index.html

I quite like Chinese food but wouldn’t want to eat it day after day whilst invading another country…

25 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Russia want the Chinese to sell them military ration packs.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/14/politics/us-china-russia-ukraine/index.html

Hopefully it's bat soup.

Actually I can see why - there was footage on one of the news channels where the Ukrainians were laughing at the rations they'd found on a captured Russian. It was meant to be used before 2014 or 2015...they basically got sent into battle with food with yellow stickers on it.

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I quite like Chinese food but wouldn’t want to eat it day after day whilst invading another country…

I am not a fussy eater but I still recall going to an authentic Chinese restaurant in Toronto. 

Practically everything on the menu was unappealing. 

Dishes like spleen, intestines, bladders and chicken feet were not what I was used to.

Those Russians will have no idea what they are getting.

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

Hopefully it's bat soup.

Actually I can see why - there was footage on one of the news channels where the Ukrainians were laughing at the rations they'd found on a captured Russian. It was meant to be used before 2014 or 2015...they basically got sent into battle with food with yellow stickers on it.

Some were going to get a foosty onion each for dinner.

5 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

I registered on the site to offer accommodation to Ukrainian refugee(s)   Has anyone else done the same.  Required patience as the site kept crashing - can only imagine that they have been inundated with offers.  Whilst I do not know a "named" Ukrainian I understand they should get back in touch soon to see what I have to offer to a complete stranger(s)

I have a couple of spare bedrooms so it is not exactly going to be a hardship......have donated a couple of times whilst watching the news (tearfully) but offering a home to some of these poor distraught people would be far more meaningful and impactful.

Ditto. Our daughter has moved out to go to Uni, so we have a spare room. My wife, son and I (and our daughter) were in full agreement that we should apply to join the Homes for Ukraine sponsorship scheme. We’re happy to accommodate an adult plus child / children (it’s a decent-sized room). We went for the 6-9 months option initially, but will almost certainly be happy to extend. I’ve also applied to the UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration) business sponsorship scheme to enable my business to employ people from outside the U.K.

Edited by Frankie S

5 hours ago, beefybake said:

Fair enough.   The next question is fairly obviously who in the various UK media outlets, inc BBC, stopped programmes like this being broadcast, or printed

well before now.  Scared of all the London lawyers paid by the oligarchs ?

Or ?

There have been loads of documentaries and articles about how Abramovich and co got their money in the 1990s wild west over the years. I guess it's only now that it's become newsworthy again.

8 hours ago, Fullerene said:

I am not a fussy eater but I still recall going to an authentic Chinese restaurant in Toronto. 

Practically everything on the menu was unappealing. 

Dishes like spleen, intestines, bladders and chicken feet were not what I was used to.

Those Russians will have no idea what they are getting.

It will be bags of soft prawn crackers and out of date Chicken Maryland hopefully. You know, the proper authentic stuff.

1 hour ago, Paul Kersey said:

Unbelievable......

Does anyone know what "detained" means in reality for those brave enough to hold up "no war" signs or protest on the Russian streets?  Genuine question - I know they state the maximum jail term can be 15 years but in reality what has happened to the thousands detained in Moscow and St Petersburgh in the past couple of weeks.  Is it a night in the cells and let oot or far more severe.  I fear for the young journalist who went on live tv....incredibly brave

13 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Unbelievable......

Does anyone know what "detained" means in reality for those brave enough to hold up "no war" signs or protest on the Russian streets?  Genuine question - I know they state the maximum jail term can be 15 years but in reality what has happened to the thousands detained in Moscow and St Petersburgh in the past couple of weeks.  Is it a night in the cells and let oot or far more severe.  I fear for the young journalist who went on live tv....incredibly brave

I saw a protestor the other day saying she still protests as she's not been caught yet. Once she gets caught she'll pull back as she doesn't want caught a second time and a criminal record so believe if you get caught once it's a caution and let out.

Of course, to make such a marked point on state TV won't carry the level of leniency.

29 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Unbelievable......

Does anyone know what "detained" means in reality for those brave enough to hold up "no war" signs or protest on the Russian streets?

• They’re…given a little present and allowed to go free.
  • They’re smacked and told not to be naughty, but basically let off.
  • They’re put in prison for the night, and brutally guillotined in the morning.

(think one of those is close)

7 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

While the Panorama show about Abramovich won't contain any 'new' info for those who have followed the case, most people have not followed it and it makes perfect sense for the BBC to broadcast this at this point.

So, shut the f**k up with your 'ooooh, this is nothing new'.

Most people who don't follow serious stories don't watch Panorama either m8. 

If they wanted a bit more of a scoop then they could have turned the spotlight on the UK elite's aiding and abetting of Russian oligarchs over the past 30 years. Unsurprisingly, the BBC pulls its punches when it comes to criticising establishment voices; while at the same time trying to guilt trip everyone into paying a regressive tax to fund its 'unique public service broadcasting'. 

29 minutes ago, virginton said:

Most people who don't follow serious stories don't watch Panorama either m8. 

If they wanted a bit more of a scoop then they could have turned the spotlight on the UK elite's aiding and abetting of Russian oligarchs over the past 30 years. Unsurprisingly, the BBC pulls its punches when it comes to criticising establishment voices; while at the same time trying to guilt trip everyone into paying a regressive tax to fund its 'unique public service broadcasting'. 

I don't know if you've noticed, but Abramovich has been quite big news in the last few days. For a public service broadcaster to show a documentary contextualising a story many people won't know the ins and outs of is perfectly reasonable.

Whether the information is new is neither here nor there. It's suddenly very relevant.

No issue with your second paragraph.

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

I don't know if you've noticed, but Abramovich has been quite big news in the last few days. For a public service broadcaster to show a documentary contextualising a story many people won't know the ins and outs of is perfectly reasonable.

Whether the information is new is neither here nor there. It's suddenly very relevant.

No issue with your second paragraph.

Panorama's M.O. as a programme has been to expose new information and/or scandals. Rehashing Russia in the 1990s in a 'what bears really do in the woods' manner is for the One Show or some other crapfest.