Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

3 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

The Russians will present anything they get as a triumph to their domestic audience though. They could be forced out of Ukraine and only remain in Crimea with a promise of referenda in the Donbas but they'd proclaim they'd de-Nazified Ukraine and won a great victory.  Just look at the pish their State TV is putting out in @jagfox OG post

If anything close to that scenario unfolds then it will have a significant long term impact.  Putin will have been significantly weakened by his own hand and a closer relationship between the Ukraine and the West will ensue, exactly the scenario Putin claims he was trying to counter.

I also imagine that a Russian successor will emerge sooner rather than later.  Sadly I’ve no confidence he will be an improvement.

8 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The Russians have committed all the forces they gathered for the invasion and the US have said they don’t see any evidence of them reinforcing. It’s a massive undertaking for the Russian army and is utilising a huge number of their forces. As a comparison, I read somewhere that during rhe height of US forces in Iraq (2007 troop surge) around 20% of US capabilities were engaged there, the current estimate for Russian capabilities engaged in Ukraine is 55%.  

Putin's promised not to use conscripts and is offering $3000 dollars a month to Syrian soldiers to join him, 50 times their normal pay apparently. He must be running out of territorials and retirees to join the battle.

8 minutes ago, jagfox OG said:

3 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

What's in it for them?

An influential  Chinese think tank has basically said China need to come down on the west,s side in all of this and get Vlad to stop 

https://uscnpm.org/2022/03/12/hu-wei-russia-ukraine-war-china-choice/

Edited by doulikefish

5 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Yer Edward Snowdon has been awful quiet on Twitter has he not.  Not a peep out of him about this whole special operation shite.

Yes he'll be reevaluating the c**t factor of the US against bombing maternity hospitals

Awe shit. If the FT report is accurate then that puts China in a bit of a bind. Surely they can't be seen to be helping the Russians? Although if they don't what does that do to there relationship with Russia? Next move could be crucial

Chinese companies have already refused to sell spare parts of planes to Russia. 

The story is interesting in that it shows that Russia are in difficulty resupplying equipment. The reports don’t say what they are asking for from China, I don’t know what Chinese equipment they use at the moment and if it’s replacements or if they are asking for brand new equipment. Asking for brand new stuff seems crazy, you have to be trained to use new weapons systems, usually a long process that needs soldiers from the supplier to do it.   It could be stuff like trucks or spare parts that they are asking for, which is less problematic practically.

The other factor is that China will extract the highest price for the lowest supply for anything. Russia are completely at their mercy and are highly unlikely to get anything approaching a good deal. China likely had them over a barrel before any request for military aid, even more so now.

Me too, just after the fall of the Greek Colonels which shows my age a bit. My flat mate in Patras was decidedly radical though, I don't think making things go bang was beyond him. I was more concerned about being done for working illegally during the interrogation, given that my boots and jeans were covered in building dust.
I had a great time in Patras. Seeing a couple of two millenia-old bits of wood was a very special experience. [emoji1022]󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿bb80b59e1a2fbb157331a69e476ab4b9.jpg

Think the FT report is mainly a sign that Russia is fast running out of key armaments and that the unexpectedly harsh sanctions have seriously impacted their ability to resupply. China and Russia may have interests that coincide in any given time period but they have historically been rivals in terms of the Russian Far East and Mongolia so China will do whatever the CCP leadership thinks is pragmatically best for China. This isn't an Orthodox brothers sort of relationship like they have with Serbia.

Edited by LongTimeLurker