Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

2 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

If all the Russians have to offer is an absolutely fucking tinpot array of ground and air forces, and annoying Instagram users, perhaps we are safe from total annihilation after all. 

What if P&B goes down?

(Again)

26 minutes ago, 101 said:

What a horrific thing to say. He's clearly as racist as his grandda.

Could he not be doing a "Why have we been ignoring Yemen?" thing? Hard to say without reading what he said in full.

20 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Extraordinary to think there is somebody who doesn't know about the two world wars and yet one day he will be king.

Even more bizzare that the good Friday agreement was signed 24 years ago and the Kosovo war ended in about the same time period.

Others quote him as saying "Britons are more used to seeing conflict in Africa and Asia.".

"It's rather normal to see war and bloodshed in Africa and Asia." twists what he said to make him sound offhand and callous.

2 hours ago, renton said:

Unless there was a legitimate military target in the near vicinity that the Russians were aiming for and missed, then it doesn't matter if the hospital was deliberately targeted or not - either they aimed for and hit the hospital (and dumb bombs can be accurate enough against large, static targets still) or they casually tossed off a wing load of high explosives into a built up urban area for shits and giggles. Neither of which is a good look.

I agree. But tossing bombs into built up areas that are also contested territory is part and parcel of every single modern war. As well as dumping high explosives over entire cities that were nowhere near the front lines, which was par for the course in every major theatre of war from the late 1930s to at least the 1970s. 

I'm not sure where this expectation that a war in cities will somehow magically avoid collateral damage is coming from, because in practice that has never happened. If you seriously want to limit civilian casualties, then you hold a nice set-piece battle nowhere near Mariupol in the first place and concede victory to the winner.  

11 hours ago, 101 said:

My Instagram has received 41 follow requests in the last 15 mins, all from bot accounts anyone else subject to a Russian cyber storm?

The Russian brides are in for a shock when they discover you and your Roman Centurion chiseled good looks are not typical of all Fife men.

11 hours ago, Jedi said:

What are the chances of China coming in with a massive 'strategic' loan for Moscow in the near future as well if the banks are still under pressure.

I'd say quite low. Not impossible but still low.

There's no real benefit to China of handing out massive loans - and potentially damaging economic relations with the US and Europe.

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

I'd say quite low. Not impossible but still low.

There's no real benefit to China of handing out massive loans - and potentially damaging economic relations with the US and Europe.

What sanction would the US and Europe be able to seriously impose on China? I think they've got quite enough on their plate right now. 

This crisis gives China free rein to do what it wants, and securing a benevolent but not too close relationship with Russia is part of that. 

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/10/russia-ukraine-west-global-south-sanctions-war

An interesting change of perspective: and the NAM have as much of a point now as they did during the height of the Cold War. 

Let's hope Jakarta isn't coming again