Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

1 minute ago, Lofarl said:

Ah the old classic P&B thread derail

Currently there are peace talks ongoing. Rumours that Ukraine destroyed a load of Russian helicopters in the South are probably false, no evidence for the claim yet. Talk about preparation for an amphibious assault on Odessa continues, the city is preparing for an invasion either by land, sea or air. Odessa and the region is quite close to Romania, an EU and NATO country, meaning Russia will have to be careful to avoid any escalation there. There are rumours that the Russian Navy has set up missile batteries on Snake Island (of “Russian warship go f**k yourself” fame) which could threaten Romania. There’s already been a sinking of a cargo ship in the Black Sea during the war.

Hopefully discussion of these events gets us back on track.

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

While the actual "people" may be fiction, the fact remains about the censorship of bizarre things like Fawlty Towers episodes and explicit "warnings" of content of certain TV programmes that the majority seem perplexed about.

If people are honestly being offended enough by John Cleese doing his Hitler sketch that they're actually complaining about it, then we're even more fcuked than I thought we were.....

'Woke liberals are using cancel culture to suppress freedom of speech and debate' to 'the BBC put a content warning on a Fawlty Towers episode' in less than two hours.

Impressive stuff.

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

How free speech in a democracy is measured should be based on how that nation treats old episodes of Fawlty Towers. 

I agree 100%

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

I have a real problem squaring the idea that the same Russian state that forgot vehicles need fuel and have generally clown-shoed their way through the invasion of Ukraine has been puppet-mastering western politics in some Machiavellian grand plan for years.

Has the fuel shortage theory for the convoy been reported as fact or is it still speculation? Absolutely nuts if that is the real reason they've been stalled all this time. 

Sounds like there might be a compromise.  Initially thought it was a deal Ukraine would accept but it depends on many things.

They are not being defeated.
They know Putin wants an end
US/EU will have some say in it
US happy at Russian losses 
Jets, Helis  tanks ain’t cheap
Ukraine will want cash money

So what’s in it for them to accept?

23 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It doesn't take a great level of sophistication to hire a load of student types to troll face book and urge on right wing nutters. Guccifer 2.0 wasn't exactly a mastermind of manipulation and subterfuge.

Aye, but that kind of targeted, deliberate, and successful quasi-social engineering does.

I think people just have a habit of looking for one, over-arching action that's responsible for everything they see in a situation, rather than it being a swirling maelstrom of largely undirected numerous factors. As I mentioned, most of the time, it's giving folk far too much credit. Look at big organisations (private and public). Half the time they can't manage a software upgrade. I'm just extremely sceptical every time someone pins some grand Machiavellian scheme on folk that don't generally have the best track record on competence. It's all a bit too convenient.

3 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Sounds like there might be a compromise.  Initially thought it was a deal Ukraine would accept but it depends on many things.

They are not being defeated.
They know Putin wants an end
US/EU will have some say in it
US happy at Russian losses 
Jets, Helis  tanks ain’t cheap
Ukraine will want cash money

So what’s in it for them to accept?

Innocent people stop dying?

4 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Has the fuel shortage theory for the convoy been reported as fact or is it still speculation? Absolutely nuts if that is the real reason they've been stalled all this time. 

I haven't heard it confirmed for the convoy but it seems to be a bit of a theme. The last story I heard was that the Ukrainians let the convoy roll past unopposed and then just attacked the fuel supply vehicles, leaving the convoy stranded. Hilarious if true.

12 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Aye, but that kind of targeted, deliberate, and successful quasi-social engineering does.

I think people just have a habit of looking for one, over-arching action that's responsible for everything they see in a situation, rather than it being a swirling maelstrom of largely undirected numerous factors. As I mentioned, most of the time, it's giving folk far too much credit. Look at big organisations (private and public). Half the time they can't manage a software upgrade. I'm just extremely sceptical every time someone pins some grand Machiavellian scheme on folk that don't generally have the best track record on competence. It's all a bit too convenient.

Who is to say that they have been successful with it though? Perhaps they were as shit at the social engineering stuff as they have been with this invasion, and only the absolute dregs of their target markets fell for it, while the rest managed to avoid doing the same. Maybe the UK and US are, to enough of an extent, actually as fucking empty headed and simplistic as people suggest and that is why they were the western powers who bought the Russian koolaid?

Edited by Ross.

11 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I agree, it was just one of many factors, I expect Putin just asked them to stir things up a bit and it played a very minor part alongside Reddit boys thinking it would be a laugh to big up Trump and pretend to be trans lesbians to wind up the feminazis, etc etc. And along with politicians cynically pretending that much of the moonhowler Qanon type stuff is true and right wing broadcasters playing along. Liberal democracy is boring, a growing section of the population think having Mussolini types like Orban, Trump and Putin running things would be much more fun.

Edited by welshbairn

Obviously if you're Ukrainian you're going to be utterly desperate for anything, but the constant 'cLoSe ThE sKiEs' mewling is growing both tiresome and irritating. They need told once and for all, under no circumstances, is a no-fly zone happening. Enough.
Elsewhere:

Page 24 - Palestinians -a bit needy, or what?
Page 94 - Yemenis - aren'tcha sick of 'em?

Take your fucking garbage back to the Covid thread, sonny. You'll probably find a more appreciative audience there.

29 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

In fairness in the real world I haven't ever come across any of the "types" that you seem to get on social media and indeed even the mainstream, so whether or not they actually exist is I suppose open to debate (if still permitted).

In hindsight I was a bit harsh there.

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Christ, does that mean we'll soon no longer be able to use the letter "Z" ever again ??

We're goin' to the oo, oo, oo
How about you, you, you?
You can come too, too, too

That's that song ruined.

1 minute ago, Welly boy said:
How about you, you, you?
You can come too, too, too

That's that song ruined.

Not if you're an Orangutan. In fact I'd say in those circumstances it's a significant improvement.